Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ENFO
Question about booking awards. I am looking for 2 or 3 seats PBI-MNL in June and return in August. If I book my tickets now with miles+fee, what happens if I need to cancel or change dates later? Do the miles get redeposited? Do the fees get reimbursed?

I'll need to do a transfer from Amex - so I understand that's one way only cannot be returned to Amex from my Delta account.
You can redeposit your miles or make changes until two days pre-flight for $150 per ticket, waived for Platinum and Diamonds but not Silver or Gold. Fees should be refunded. If you are dealing with upgrades vs award tickets I am not sure what the rules are.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Trying this method and having atrocious issues with DL.dumb... Can find low level econ awards (60K) for my trip from ATL-BCN this coming July but Biz? Finding Mid (at 200K)...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
That's a pretty tough route to get low level biz on. I went to BCN in September with the family in J, so I spent a fair amount of time searching that route. DL only flies two direct routes from USA to BCN, one being from ATL and the other from JFK. I did see some availability out of JFK on the direct flight to BCN while searching, so you might have better luck there if you don't mind the connection.

If you don't mind connections, then start looking for Air France availability or KLM availability routing through AMS or CDG. AF has a lot of flights on CDG-BCN, so it should be easy to get there if you can get to CDG. Alitalia out of JFK through FCO is another good option. I had my sister fly that on her way home, and my parents did it from LAX.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Originally Posted by roknroll
That's a pretty tough route to get low level biz on. I went to BCN in September with the family in J, so I spent a fair amount of time searching that route. DL only flies two direct routes from USA to BCN, one being from ATL and the other from JFK. I did see some availability out of JFK on the direct flight to BCN while searching, so you might have better luck there if you don't mind the connection.

If you don't mind connections, then start looking for Air France availability or KLM availability routing through AMS or CDG. AF has a lot of flights on CDG-BCN, so it should be easy to get there if you can get to CDG. Alitalia out of JFK through FCO is another good option. I had my sister fly that on her way home, and my parents did it from LAX.
I did find 100K BUT the connections are nuts-o... I found the TATL portions surprisingly quickly BUT the intra Europe connections are probably too much for my wife, I could deal but not her... As for the TATL, the Germans are your friend if you live in Atlanta!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: Skymiles Elite
Using the methodology described in this thread, I found BE award travel for two in January LAX-NRT-BKK on DL and BKK-ICN-LAX on KE at mid and low award levels on DL.dumb. I live in LAS and was unable to get DL.dumb to find these awards when adding LAS to the reservation. I placed the LAX flights on hold and then called the DL Platinum desk and asked them to add LAS-LAX-LAS on to my award reservation. The reservation agent told me it cost 60,000 miles additional for each person.

Is it possible to add a LAS to my reservations without using additional miles??
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bdmocl
Using the methodology described in this thread, I found BE award travel for two in January LAX-NRT-BKK on DL and BKK-ICN-LAX on KE at mid and low award levels on DL.dumb. I live in LAS and was unable to get DL.dumb to find these awards when adding LAS to the reservation. I placed the LAX flights on hold and then called the DL Platinum desk and asked them to add LAS-LAX-LAS on to my award reservation. The reservation agent told me it cost 60,000 miles additional for each person.

Is it possible to add a LAS to my reservations without using additional miles??
It should definitely be possible to add LAS, however you'll need to find low or mid level miles. If LAS-LAX and vice versa were only available at high miles for that segment, then that would cause the rest of the flights to price at high. Sometimes it is less miles to price the domestic segment as it's own award and then add it to the international.

For example, your LAX-NRT-BKK (medium@120k) and BKK-ICN-LAX (low@60k) would price out at 180k miles. If the agent is telling you that adding on the LAS segment will be 60k more miles, it sounds like that is only available at high level economy (30k each way). Pricing it as a single award would then cause the entire trip to price at high which would be 350k miles per ticket. So booking the high level LAS-LAX ticket separately makes each ticket only 240k miles. Still a lot, but much less than a high level award to Southeast Asia.

Did you search LAS-LAX as a one way award by itself on your outbound date, and then separately search LAX-LAS as a one way award on our return date? Check the mileage requirements for those flights both in economy and first. If you can get a medium or low level award on the outbound, and a low level on the return (either in Y or F), then it should add on without any additional miles.

It also might be economical to save the miles and purchase a revenue ticket on the LAS-LAX portion, if you can get a cheap fare. Also, for the outbound there has been great availability in business on CZ for their LAX-CAN route, and they also fly on to BKK. That might be available around your outbound date and would price at low level if it is available (saves 60k miles per passenger).

Last edited by roknroll; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I posted this quick guide to Business Award searches in another thread, but after a number of folks mentioned how great it worked for them, I decided to create a separate thread. Also, if anyone else has tips which may be beneficial, please post them as well.

I will be the first to say DL's award engine is horrendous at best, however there are ways around it.

Now for the guide (please note, although this guide was created to assist with travel from the US past AMS/CDG, it is also beneficial for all award bookings):

For awards beyond AMS / CDG in Business, the best way to search is the following:

Search for USA - AMS / CDG ONE WAY in Coach by Mileage.

In the flights displayed, look for those priced at 100,000, with seating in First / Business.

If you cannot find any 100,000 mile flights with First / Business seating, do another search but search for Business this time.

Do this over and over until you find a 100,000 mile one way routing. Generally, it will be Business / First seats within your coach search. I think the problem most have is we tend to search for Business seats by selecting the business drop down. This is a big no no. Always select a coach search first, and seek business within, its often cheaper.

Next, perform another one way search in Businesss for the AMS/CDG - EU. I generally find plenty of EU Business inventory available.

Then, perform the same in reverse for your travel back to the US.

Once you find one way itineraries at the low mileage level, you perform a multi-segment award search. Be sure to select the flights you found earlier in the process at the low tiers.

Sometimes you may have to break down the segments even further such as TPA-ATL, ATL-CDG, CDG-OTP, in order to find the lowest available tiers.

One thing I have noticed is that so long as the DL Award Calendar shows Business available at the low tier, it is, only you have to search to find it.

This is how I book my award travel in Business to OTP. Takes a bit of work, but it can be done.

I am in the middle of packing for my trip tomorrow and will add more details later. Good luck.

Brad...
this (above ) is the 1st thread in this post, now 97 pages later I'm entering this thread to burn some miles

my questions are

1. is this first post still accurate?
2. is there a starting point within the 97 pages (at least thats how it shows on my account) that might be a better place to start reading rather than going thru all 97 pages?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
this (above ) is the 1st thread in this post, now 97 pages later I'm entering this thread to burn some miles

my questions are

2. is there a starting point within the 97 pages (at least thats how it shows on my account) that might be a better place to start reading rather than going thru all 97 pages?
This other thread may also be useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:30 pm

my questions are

I never search for coach seats when I want business, just search for business one way. Otherwise I think it's mostly valid advice. I also recommend searching for short domestic segments in both first/business and economy.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles Elite
Was able to finally get DL to add the LAS-LAX-LAS to my BE itinerary without using additional miles. The seats are in EC, not FC, not a problem for the short hop. I can still look to upgrade if seats become available.

Persistence is the key - called the DL Platinum line 4 separate times before finding an agent that was able to help me with my request. Thanks to agent Lisa in Cincinnati!!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

my questions are

Not sure what points you're referring too, but I've found searching OW's for business to piece an itin together works.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Looking to travel home for Christmas. NYC to CHA preferred. Open to flying into ATL and driving home from there but would rather fly into CHA.

I'm looking at 12/21 outbound and 12/27 return. So far lowest award level (coach) has been 60k miles. I'm willing to pay these miles but would prefer to find this at 40k or 50k level. So I'm waiting...

As of now flights are $800 plus with only Q fares and up available. I'd rather spend 60k miles than spend that $$.

My question is... Is there any problem with waiting to book my award ticket? Mostly I'm waiting for the award level to drop to 40/50k or price to dip closer to $500. If I wait another 7-14 days will I always be able to book award travel at max 60k level for the flights that I want?? Or is it possible for delta to turn off award travel for certain days/flights/times??

Thanks m
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bdmocl
Was able to finally get DL to add the LAS-LAX-LAS to my BE itinerary without using additional miles. The seats are in EC, not FC, not a problem for the short hop. I can still look to upgrade if seats become available.

Persistence is the key - called the DL Platinum line 4 separate times before finding an agent that was able to help me with my request. Thanks to agent Lisa in Cincinnati!!
Next time, immediately ask for the international reissue desk. These are experienced agents that will take care of it quickly.

The other way around your problem would have been to have a stopover and use a low F return from LAX to complete another trip you are taking to LA.

Not sure if you have plans like that, but it would have got you up front if you were already planning it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:27 pm

I keep getting "Trips just sold out" on a ORD - AMS itinerary, but the seats are there! How to fix?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I keep getting "Trips just sold out" on a ORD - AMS itinerary, but the seats are there! How to fix?
Sounds like you are using the website. Mistake #1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.