Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:01 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here... Looking to go NYC-TLV-NYC first week of March. Award calendar shows every single day, outbound and return at High (350K). The flights look wide open in Biz and 6 weeks out shouldn't be "too far in advance". I was able to cobble together an obscure itinerary JFK-FCO-TLV-PRG-JFK using AZ, OK, and DL, but the pricing of the non-stops sure seems maddening and I want to be sure it's not user error
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you're seeing an award price higher than Low band it's due to the Delta segments to/from the North American gateway. All partner award segments (excluding a narrow Hawaiian Airlines exemption) are Low or not available. As the original post counsels, try looking for one-ways - if not segment by segment, then at least FLL-North American gateway city, gateway-destination (and it seems you can find some Alitalia flights).

FlyingBlue shows 3 coach Miami-Milan Malpensa on May 31 at Classic level (if that meets your end-of-school timing). That should be bookable by phone with DL miles. I'm sure more time searching would yield more results.

added: There's a LOT of MIA-Rome appearing in early June with connections via London and/or Paris on dates where I clicked through.
I guess I just needed to pick up the phone, because although the MIA-VCE-FCO-MIA was showing at 90K-ish miles online, the agent was able to book it for me for 60,000 each (for some reason I thought 50k was the min to Europe but she says it's 60k). So I'm very happy with that. Thanks to everyone on this site, so glad I found it!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by seansmother
I guess I just needed to pick up the phone, because although the MIA-VCE-FCO-MIA was showing at 90K-ish miles online, the agent was able to book it for me for 60,000 each (for some reason I thought 50k was the min to Europe but she says it's 60k). So I'm very happy with that. Thanks to everyone on this site, so glad I found it!
Congrats! It used to be 50k, but went up a year or two ago. 60k is still a reasonable deal, although flying biz would be the best way to go.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Congrats! It used to be 50k, but went up a year or two ago. 60k is still a reasonable deal, although flying biz would be the best way to go.
I would love to fly biz, but just can't come up with 300k miles for the 3 of us...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craig44485
If I go to the local official DL ticketing office here in Manila, would they be able to help me find low level BE awards from a hub city to MNL?
They can't help anymore than US agents. Just Skype in your PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I would love to fly biz, but just can't come up with 300k miles for the 3 of us...
Just remember you can always book Biz one way and Coach the other, for 80k.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Could this be right or was there a mistake?

Originally Posted by mnredfox
They can't help anymore than US agents. Just Skype in your PM.
So I called the PM line last night and asked the agent if he could find me any low business awards anytime in February for a 2 week trip fro 2 people, at least I am pretty sure I said BE award, JFK to MNL anytime in February. He comes back minutes later saying he has low level going out only on Feb 2 but nothing low coming back, only medium for the return all the way thru April. I asked if that was on DL metal and could he check KE flight 082, he said he checked everything ( not sure what exactly everything is) so I had him price it out for 2 tickets JFK>MNL Feb 2 rt Feb 15 and he comes back with a total of 95K SM per person, total 190K SM plus tax and fees. Could this be right, it did not sound right to me, thinking it he may have mistaken coach award for BE, but even that does not seem to add up to the 95K. Any thoughts?

Last edited by craig44485; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:52 pm Reason: additional information
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
So I called the PM line last night and asked the agent if he could find me any low business awards anytime in February for a 2 week trip fro 2 people, at least I am pretty sure I said BE award, JFK to MNL anytime in February. He comes back minutes later saying he has low level going out only on Feb 2 but nothing low coming back, only medium for the return all the way thru April. I asked if that was on DL metal and could he check KE flight 082, he said he checked everything ( not sure what exactly everything is) so I had him price it out for 2 tickets JFK>MNL Feb 2 rt Feb 15 and he comes back with a total of 95K SM per person, total 190K SM plus tax and fees. Could this be right, it did not sound right to me, thinking it he may have mistaken coach award for BE, but even that does not seem to add up to the 95K. Any thoughts?
Doesn't sound right. Did you ticket it? If you post the pricing breakdown from the emailed ticket receipt, we can try to interpret.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Doesn't sound right. Did you ticket it? If you post the pricing breakdown from the emailed ticket receipt, we can try to interpret.
No, I did not ticket it, I was worried about it, and was not sure if I could cancel at get my miles back if I did ticket it, it just did not sound right. Very new to this, this would be my first award tickets to book, and I am finding it extremely difficult and frustrating.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
No, I did not ticket it, I was worried about it, and was not sure if I could cancel at get my miles back if I did ticket it, it just did not sound right. Very new to this, this would be my first award tickets to book, and I am finding it extremely difficult and frustrating.
As a PM, as long as the flights depart > 72 hours, you can cancel and get your miles back at no charge. Since the agents so often don't know how these things are priced, it's sometimes the only way to find out how it's actually pricing.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Just remember you can always book Biz one way and Coach the other, for 80k.
Good point. Still not sure I can come up with that many miles but I sure will try!! Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I was on the phone last night with a PM agent that twice tried to confirm me in revenue class tickets for an award (including a codeshare!?) and also completely blew it when I asked a question about open jaws/stopovers in an award (I later confirmed here). You would think that PM agents would be better trained, but at least you know that you need to double and triple check what they give you.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:13 pm

Turns out when I told my DH and DS we would change planes in Paris, a light bulb went on for them; let's visit Paris (my DS has never been). So originally I thought I would just book from MIA-CDG, then get a flight to VCE; then we are traveling through Italy, and fly home FCO-MIA. BUT reading this thread more, I should be able to just "stopover" in Paris for 3 or 4 nights, and continue to VCE, and it would be the same # of miles?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Turns out when I told my DH and DS we would change planes in Paris, a light bulb went on for them; let's visit Paris (my DS has never been). So originally I thought I would just book from MIA-CDG, then get a flight to VCE; then we are traveling through Italy, and fly home FCO-MIA. BUT reading this thread more, I should be able to just "stopover" in Paris for 3 or 4 nights, and continue to VCE, and it would be the same # of miles?
I'm doing almost the exact same trip. Flying into CDG for 5 nights, from CDG-AMS-FCO for 3 nights (we're spending like 12 hours in AMS), then train from FCO-VCE for 2 nights and returning from VCE. 10 day trip total, all in economy comfort (free for PM's and DM's) for 60K per person, and I think $105 in taxes/fees.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
BUT reading this thread more, I should be able to just "stopover" in Paris for 3 or 4 nights, and continue to VCE, and it would be the same # of miles?
Yes, for the 60K price of a coach round trip you can have a stopover on a valid routing MIA-VCE (Paris works, as would Amsterdam and a dozen other cities) and the open jaw return from FCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.