FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1029634-definitive-how-search-low-tier-business-awards.html)

Denolloyd Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
lol...I thought this was my little secret...oh well, they are still gonna complain anyhoo...:p

Lol, it will slowly drift to the bottom once again. Instead of searching for award search tricks, most would rather (dare I say enjoy) complaining. Its a pain, but decent awards can surely be found.

Bikeguy Mar 15, 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Denolloyd (Post 13019226)
I think the problem most have is we tend to search for Business seats by selecting the business drop down. This is a big no no. Always select a coach search first, and seek business within, its often cheaper.

Only after getting pointed to a thread that's drifted to the bottom do I learn how to find award tickets.

Thanks, 3Cforme. ^

Bikeguy Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am

[QUOTE=Denolloyd;13402436]Instead of searching for award search tricks, most would rather (dare I say enjoy) complaining. [QUOTE]

Or, people believe a company of Delta's size couldn't possibly have such a screwed up award calendar, and don't think search tricks will help.

I was very surprised with the amount of C inventory I found available for the low awards.

The other tip I'd add is even if the coach calendar shows only mid award availability, still check, as there were days when the C low was available when only coach mid was showing on the calendar.

dagnyt Mar 16, 2010 8:41 pm

You said it Bikeguy. The tricks work -- depending on your definition of works. But what a pain.

Case in point, I wanted to see the mythical creature that was a 100,000-mile fare from ATL to CDG.
  • Searching Nov coach fares ATL to CDG came up as the whole month Low, except for two dates Med.
  • After I looked at Nov. 4 Y fares, I clicked the button to go back and view the calendar and now the whole month shows Low. (Now that I'm checking it, this actually happens on every search I run. When I click return to the calendar, the calendar shows significantly more days with Low fares.)
  • When I click Biz from that screen I can find a 100K mile fare on AF for random dates like Nov. 8--but when I search regular Biz using the drop down, it doesn't come up.
  • To make it even worse, in May and June the Low and Med biz awards on this route are the same--350,000 miles. Which is what DL charts indicate should be High.
  • Then, in July, Low Biz on this route goes down to 200,000 miles on Jul 14. Jul 13 is listed as Med, but on that date the lowest actually comes up as 140,000 on one search and then back to 200,000 on another. Again, according to the DL charts, 200,000 is the RT Med for Europe.

I have to agree with the assessment that this is a crap search engine for a major airline. The whole thing is so glitchy you could spend half your life on there trying to find what you want. If you find a deal, book it and print it out right away. You may never see it again.

learpax Mar 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Thank you

Thank you for this Thread.
I am not an expert on award tickets or MR runs and I was stuck on how to best use my miles.
Just booked a Business/first class RT ticket from BOS to VIE with a on purpose i full day lay over in Paris for 162K
I am sure there are better deals out there but for a novice I am very happy with the deal and I thank you for the Search suggestion.

cfw Apr 4, 2010 5:43 pm

Hooooorrraayy!! Denolloyd+++

This method actually works. Check out the itin I got bellow! It's not pretty, as I have to fly to AMS, then over to CDG, and THEN onto FCO, but it is business class all the way for 100k + $140 in fees. Frankly, as bad as awards are going, I'll take it, and frankly, it's hard to believe that something as basic as this is worth celebrating. Happy Easter :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/...f7b3d5c7_o.png

Bikeguy Apr 4, 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by cfw (Post 13708848)

This method actually works. Check out the itin I got bellow! It's not pretty, as I have to fly to AMS, then over to CDG, and THEN onto FCO, but it is business class all the way for 100k + $140 in fees. Frankly, as bad as awards are going, I'll take it, and frankly, it's hard to believe that something as basic as this is worth celebrating. Happy Easter :)

http://industrience.com/dl100k.PNG

Privatair! ^^

Several of my friends have flown out of their way on awards to experience Privatair.

flymonthly Apr 4, 2010 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by cfw (Post 13708848)

http://industrience.com/dl100k.PNG

Not to try to burst your bubble, but isn't your outgoing connection in AMS a little tight?:eek:

cfw Apr 4, 2010 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by MShea74 (Post 13709216)
I wish you exceptional luck with your 10 minute connection time at AMS, after arriving from IAH!

I used to live there, and that is not a possible connection.

Originally Posted by flymonthly (Post 13709235)
Not to try to burst your bubble, but isn't your outgoing connection in AMS a little tight?:eek:

Oh my goodness I didn't even notice this. Thank God I didn't book it yet haha! The only other option at low rates had an 8 hour layover... :(

Well at least a 100k award is possible in theory :p

cfw Apr 4, 2010 7:38 pm

Ok I redeemed myself, refresh the page. Now leaves at 1:35 and still 100k :)

cfw Apr 4, 2010 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy (Post 13709138)
Privatair! ^^

Several of my friends have flown out of their way on awards to experience Privatair.

I've never heard of it until about a month ago. What makes it so good? Is it standard KLM WBC?

BamaGirl Apr 4, 2010 8:19 pm

Excellent idea to 'sticky' this thread. Thank you, Mods.

Bikeguy Apr 4, 2010 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by cfw (Post 13709460)
I've never heard of it until about a month ago. What makes it so good? Is it standard KLM WBC?

The entire airplane, which is small, is WBC.

I think like 48 seats total, or something like that.

Reportedly louder than a larger plane.

The trade is the exclusivity of the experience.

cfw Apr 4, 2010 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy (Post 13709782)
The entire airplane, which is small, is WBC.

I think like 48 seats total, or something like that.

Reportedly louder than a larger plane.

The trade is the exclusivity of the experience.

Sounds pretty neat, thanks for pointing it out! Maybe I'll get to try it later this year.

LAXtraveler19 Apr 5, 2010 10:06 pm

How do you book or research privatair?