Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
This provided dead-on correct.

At first I told the agent my desired routing and carrier, and she said there was no availability. I asked if she had an advanced tool that allowed her to search for a Taipei connection. She was skeptical, but willing to give it a try. Voila, BKK-SFO for 95k miles and $40 in taxes.

I will say the agent was extremely pleasant, really wanted to make this work, and was delighted that it did.

I'm also delighted, as the CI flight timing is perfect (depart BKK 5:30 p.m., arrive SFO 8:00 p.m.), basically giving me an extra half-day in Samui and saving me a forced overnight at either BKK or SIN. Much better than any option available through UA.
LOL, so sad that FT-ers know better than DL agents how to use DL IT.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Continuing on the discussion about forcing a connection
I want to book DTW-PDX-NRT-PVG in D1 where DTW-PDX-NRT priced at 80k(saver) and NRT-PVG priced at 30k(saver as well?)
Called 3 times and the first two times the agent can only price it at 110k (additive), no matter how I mention the advanced option of searching NRT as a connection, third time the agent got the pricing team and priced it at 105k.
At that stage I basically gave up and went ahead with the booking, knowing I can change/refund later if needed (being a DM)
My question is, can the agent force 2 connection points? (in this case, PDX and NRT)
If not, what is the best way to "guide" agent into using the advanced tool?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhze
Continuing on the discussion about forcing a connection
I want to book DTW-PDX-NRT-PVG in D1 where DTW-PDX-NRT priced at 80k(saver) and NRT-PVG priced at 30k(saver as well?)
Called 3 times and the first two times the agent can only price it at 110k (additive), no matter how I mention the advanced option of searching NRT as a connection, third time the agent got the pricing team and priced it at 105k.
At that stage I basically gave up and went ahead with the booking, knowing I can change/refund later if needed (being a DM)
My question is, can the agent force 2 connection points? (in this case, PDX and NRT)
If not, what is the best way to "guide" agent into using the advanced tool?
Agents can force two connections, the same way they force one.

This sounds like married segment logic however.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Agents can force two connections, the same way they force one.

This sounds like married segment logic however.
​​​​​​
Isn’t “forcing a connection in agent booking system” a walkaround to married segment logic? Or I am hoping something that’s too good to be true?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

Isn’t “forcing a connection in agent booking system” a walkaround to married segment logic? Or I am hoping something that’s too good to be true?
You need to ensure to only book awards that do not include ANY Delta flights. The moment you include a DL flight, you run into the 'married segment logic' and all logic, good sense and rules go out the window.

Remove any/all DL flights from your itinerary, then it should price fine.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
You need to ensure to only book awards that do not include ANY Delta flights. The moment you include a DL flight, you run into the 'married segment logic' and all logic, good sense and rules go out the window.

Thank you. I wanted to fly DL to use my GUC (and therefore need find award space for my companion). Guess I'll have to bear that married segment logic.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:03 pm

No. Forcing a connection just means the agent is specifying which particular cities to display. Typically on a DTW-PVG routing, it may not show connections via PDX on the agent's system, as there are multiple options that are more logical (DTW-PVG direct, DTW-ICN-PVG, DTW-LAX-PVG, DTW-NRT-PVG)

By specifying the connecting points, the agent can filter to see the desired itinerary easier.

Plenty of airlines enforce married segment logic. I've seen it with KLM, Kenya, Air France, Korea, China Southern, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Plenty of airlines enforce married segment logic. I've seen it with KLM, Kenya, Air France, Korea, China Southern, etc.
On award flights? You are sure? Could be, but it is relatively new. Just as of 2018 or 2017?

May be that is the reason why XXX-PVG-YYY 2h and 17h connection will price out as through fare, but the exact same route and airlines 4h connection will price additive at double the cost. If so, then more logical and desirable connection times are priced at double of the more desirable ones, which would mirror what is done with revenue fares often, true.

Usually though most awards will involve 2 or 3, sometimes 4 airlines. How is the married segment logic done then? Is it really coordinated SkyTeam wide amongst all airlines for awards? I didn't think so, as SkyTeam is not that well coordinated after all.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:48 pm

That is what I and many others have observed, esp. for revenue flights, but also for awards. How often and from where you search (what cookies your browser has) does appear to often make a difference, that is why the general advise is don't search for Delta flights on delta.com, and for both award and revenue only log in once you have secured your flight inventory at the very last moment, or for revenue just add your SM # after booking is completed.
I have verified this for revenue flights. I have VPN software that can get me different IP addresses both in and out of the US. I can also spoof my MAC address. Combined with private browsing I can find different rates for the same itinerary. Not every time certainly, but enough to make it worth actually using these methods to get the flights all set up and only then do I log in and actually make the purchase.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheSQLGuru
I have verified this for revenue flights. I have VPN software that can get me different IP addresses both in and out of the US. I can also spoof my MAC address. Combined with private browsing I can find different rates for the same itinerary. Not every time certainly, but enough to make it worth actually using these methods to get the flights all set up and only then do I log in and actually make the purchase.
Thanks for confirming.

Another way to - likely - get the best rate available is to use ITA Matrix, then go to bookwithmatrix.com and book the rate on delta.com that DL does not want to let you book.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Hello fellow road warriors,

I haven't used this forum for several years as my days of back to back Platinum flying are apparently over. It's been sometime since I've redeemed miles, and I want to book Atlanta - Bergen Norway RT in Business Class for mid-May 2019. This is for a 35th wedding anniversary, so I'd like to figure out the best way to book this trip with to maximize the comfort, minimize # of stops and amount of mileage (so is everyone, eh?).

Looking at several threads there appear to be several places to try and find advice.

Is this thread the best thread to read through for hints, or is there another thread?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:13 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Anyone else seeing a glitch when trying to search for awards on delta.com...I am searching for 2019 awards but when I try to hit on the actual mileage awards it gives me an error and takes me back to 2018 dates...using an apple and safari.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by SSF556
Anyone else seeing a glitch when trying to search for awards on delta.com...I am searching for 2019 awards but when I try to hit on the actual mileage awards it gives me an error and takes me back to 2018 dates...using an apple and safari.
I am having same issue. Seems to have been doing this now for at least a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.