Upgrade Request - online??

Old Dec 11, 09, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Upgrade Request - online??

Hi all. Apologies to start as I was unable to locate using the search function - although I think that is more of a "me" issue than a FT search issue.

Anyway - I am on ATL-SFO on 1/21 (757) and want to request an upgrade. I have called twice and been told there are no upgrade seats available - fine. I asked to be waitlisted and was told that is not possible.

1. Is it possible to request an upgrade using miles online?
2. Is it possible to be waitlisted?

3. Is it worthwhile to switch to ATL-LAX (777) and then catch a UA flight up to SF?

Thanks in advance,
SFO_Chad
Old Dec 11, 09, 1:51 pm

If you have DL medallion status, you can request to be upgraded at the time of booking your reservation. You can get an automatic upgrade if you pay for a Y class fare but again, only if you have DL status and only on DL coded flights.

Without DL status, your chances of a complementary upgrade is not possible.

You could opt to pay for first class

Your UA status gets you nothing complementary on DL
Old Dec 11, 09, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwsnc View Post
If you have DL medallion status, you can request to be upgraded at the time of booking your reservation. You can get an automatic upgrade if you pay for a Y class fare but again, only if you have DL status and only on DL coded flights.

Without DL status, your chances of a complementary upgrade is not possible.

You could opt to pay for first class

Your UA status gets you nothing complementary on DL
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am happy to "pay" with miles - 12.5K for the upgrade. I am not looking for a freebie.

I do not have DL status.
Old Dec 11, 09, 2:20 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_Chad View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am happy to "pay" with miles - 12.5K for the upgrade. I am not looking for a freebie.

I do not have DL status.
Sorry, no chance of this happening without status. I'm not sure Delta allows this even if you do have status.
Old Dec 11, 09, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham

I do not have DL status.
It depends on which class you purchased. Eligible fares include Y, B, M, H, Q, and K for all domestic travel. If you purchased L, U, or T fares, you cannot upgrade with miles.

Also, all upgrades require upgrade inventory availability.
Old Dec 11, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...x.jsp#upgrades

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

You can use your miles for a one-class upgrade on most Delta- and Northwest-operated flights. Mileage upgrade awards do not apply on all fares. To view the miles needed, see Delta Upgrade Awards.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp

If you have one of the qualifying fares Dilemma listed above you can upgrade with miles, whether you are elite/medallion or not, assuming there is upgrade space available.

Last edited by bkmn; Dec 11, 09 at 2:41 pm Reason: correction
Old Dec 11, 09, 3:01 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I stand corrected. If I ever pay more than an L fare, this might be useful someday. It seems like Delta's practice of holding F seats until very close to the flight time would make getting these reward upgrades very unlikely most of the time, no?
Old Dec 11, 09, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a ton everyone. It appear that my fare class does not qualify.

Looks like it is time for status comp request!!
Old Dec 11, 09, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by bkmn View Post
Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

You can use your miles for a one-class upgrade on most Delta- and Northwest-operated flights. Mileage upgrade awards do not apply on all fares. To view the miles needed, see Delta Upgrade Awards.
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...ards/index.jsp
When did Delta add "H, Q, and K" to the list of upgradeable domestic fares?
That's pretty cool.

So, to summarize: Domestic fares that qualify for a mileage upgrade: Y, B, M, H, Q, and K.... International fares that qualify for a mileage upgrade: Y, B, and M only.

Is that 100% accurate?

Also, what exactly is "International"? Does Delta count Mexico and Canada in that or are they grouped together with U.S., Hawaii, Carribbean, Mexico, and Canada...?

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 09, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold

I do not have DL status.
Wow let us know if you can pull it off. I've never gotten an upgrade for such a low figure as 12.5k miles at time of booking. But I have gotten free upgrades at the gate.

I do prefer to get confirmed BE at time of booking, and I usually pay for it with cash (e.g. pay F or I fare or D or U fare I think they are called depending on time or availability) - Or - I pay full coach fare and use miles but never that few.
Old Dec 15, 09, 10:54 am

Programs: BA silver, DL plat
Using miles for domestic upgrade online

I too am trying to use miles (25,000) RT for a domestic trip. I first looked at NWA.com because the routing (SAN-DTW) is on NWA metal. NWA.com gives you the option of clicking on using miles for upgrade. I then went to Delta.com and tried to find the same option. I was making myself crazy trying to find it. I called the Medallion line for some help to located such a link and was advised that I can use miles to upgrade on K fares or higher, depending on availability but, the option of doing it yourself is not available online, like it is on NWA. They said just call us first to make sure its available then either book it yourself and call back for the upgrade with miles or, since I am a Gold Medallion, they would do the whole thing for me over the phone without a service charge. That's what I did, but wondered why the Delta.com site would not offer such an option to just do it yourself. Turns out I was able to get a Q class and use 25,000 miles for the RT upgrade.
I would think they would offer such an option so the customers don't have to keep calling and tying up agents that could be servicing other customer needs. Just my opinion. Thought I would share my experience.
Happy Holidays everyone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: