Wiki Posts
Search

SQ ending partnership with Delta!!??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by hfly
Try SQ to IST several times and then get back to me and let's see if you still share that opinion.
Krug & Dom Perignon, caviar service, and JW Blue. What else do you need when flying in/out of IST?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ineed a decent Biz or F seat, something that reclines more than 130 degrees or 145 degrees respectively and is a premium product from this decade, not the 1980's.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:28 am

Singapore Airlines

I notice that starting next year there will be no more mileage accruals with SQ for DLSM.
Does that mean that SQ booking will also be gone?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:25 pm

Even thought they have a mileage agreement w/ DL, they are not part of SkyTeam, so the partnership will be terminated. That's a bummer, because SIN opened up a lot of options for SE Asia.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM and still DM/2.5MM, AMEX Plat, DLAMEX Plat,
SQ - no luck getting any award seats

hey fellow FTers:
Any of you having the same issue I have of snagging any award seats (Coach, Biz, FC) on Spore from any US gateway to SIN?

spent close to 2 hours with Anna xxxxx (DL rep from SLC) looking for any available inventory between January through Oct.

nothing, nada, ZERO.

she said probably due to 'termination of agreement slated for later this year SQ is starting to pull out award seats for DL miles. I find this hard to believe that SQ would do this and I don't think it is legal for them to do that ( I presume)

also does anyone know the tricks of using Expert Flyer on SQ awards.
as an example :
I show available inventory under flight availability -- 3/7 LAX-SIN 3/15 SIN-LAX
but there are no drop down boxes with SQ when looking at the awards and upgrade tabs.

am i losing my mind, too much egg nog or 'thats the way it is'?

cheers and happy holidays

Last edited by earlek; Dec 24, 2009 at 1:50 pm Reason: add more info for clarity
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by earlek
hey fellow FTers:
Any of you having the same issue I have of snagging any award seats (Coach, Biz, FC) on Spore from any US gateway to SIN?

spent close to 2 hours with Anna xxxxx (DL rep from SLC) looking for any available inventory between January through Oct.

nothing, nada, ZERO.

she said probably due to 'termination of agreement slated for later this year SQ is starting to pull out award seats for DL miles. I find this hard to believe that SQ would do this and I don't think it is legal for them to do that ( I presume)

also does anyone know the tricks of using Expert Flyer on SQ awards.
as an example :
I show available inventory under flight availability -- 3/7 LAX-SIN 3/15 SIN-LAX
but there are no drop down boxes with SQ when looking at the awards and upgrade tabs.

am i losing my mind, too much egg nog or 'thats the way it is'?

cheers and happy holidays
Did you look at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I don't see why anyone is surprised. This was a legacy relationship that probably should have ended 5+ years ago.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised? Yes and no. SQ has always followed its own beat and has been the Star Alliance rebel. While others would abandon their non Star Alliance relationships as soon as they joined Star, SQ not only kept them, but in some cases increased them (witness the AF codeshares to Australia), or SQ's 49% ownership of Virgin, but little connections between their FF programs. Ultimately it is down to DL buying NW, all was well and good for SQ when the airlines absolutely did not compete against eachother (well one NYC-FRA flight per day), and they could throw a bit of biz at eachother, but now DL flies to SIN and is a much bigger presence into NRT and TPE, two of SQ's big TP markets, so they had to end it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
VS - thinks itself too good to be in an alliance
I suspect that if the BA-IB merger goes through, and BA-AA gets antitrust clearance TATL, VS might well rethink this. I agree that it would be much likelier to end up in *A, though -- of VS' 16 airline partners, 9 are in *A and none are officially in other alliances.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Have you ever flown Icelandair?
Copa is tied to CO & *A
Mexicana is a member of Oneworld
If FI joined ST, I would likely do as much of my transatlantic leisure travel with them as possible through their service from JFK via KEF. After their cabin overhaul I've found their product vastly superior to the tired old 763 service that DL offer to European destinations.

Not that I could see any airline serving strictly TATL markets joining any of the big three.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Independent
Ultimately this means, then, that there is no way to get a true first class product anywhere using SkyMiles?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
[QUOTE MegatopLover

If you can work around the blackout dates, Korean Air is the way to go. Hard products and soft products nearly as good as SQ.

Er, not quite. In trying to burn up all my WP miles before their devaluation, I used 120k (oh, those were the days) for a C-class award AMS-BKK-AMS. Took KL on the outbound, KE return. Unfortunately my trip was on KE's retro-style 777 with business seats that reminded me of PA Clipper Class -maybe 50" pitch? On the long trip from SEL to AMS I promised myself that I would never, ever, again say anything bad about KL's WBC class. KE may be just ducky with their new J product, but their legacy planes are more GA than SQ or even MH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.