SQ ending partnership with Delta!!??

Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Problem is getting additional carriers. Can you name any major carriers (save for the Middle Eastern ones) that aren't part of an alliance by now?
Virgin?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Virgin?
Jet Airways
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Problem is getting additional carriers. Can you name any major carriers (save for the Middle Eastern ones) that aren't part of an alliance by now?
Whats the definition of "major"? Would Icelanadair qualify? Malaysian? Alaska? Virgin Atlantic?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Wow. That sucks!

Even though in all fairness, SQ C/F ex-US awards were on their way out anyway; they are already pretty hard to get, and will soon become extinct (unless the 380 and 77W blocking policy changes). Wonder how UA/US/CO will handle SQ premium awards...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Don't worry though Garuda is coming to Skyteam soon!!!!
Yeah..... if they ever clear FAA basic safety standards.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Wow. That sucks!
+1

I've been dreading this announcement ever since my first SQ F flight two and a half years ago. The partnership never made much sense to me given the 2 separate alliances, and now I guess they (or at least SQ) see it that way too.

Hopefully our bookings on SQ will continue to May 2010 with travel allowed until May 2011. Availability out of LAX has been pretty good, and one would hope bookings on the 77W at least would be allowed once the 747 is completely retired.

I doubt I'll ever hit 100K MQM, so the recent CO changes don't matter to me, but this is a different story. SkyTeam has nothing of SQ's caliber, even if we were allowed F bookings on AF or KL.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by asnovici
Whats the definition of "major"? Would Icelanadair qualify? Malaysian? Alaska? Virgin Atlantic?
Well, with the SQ gravy train coming to an end, MH would be a heck of a nice addition to Skyteam.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
Can name quite a few:

Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf, Malaysian, Virgin, Icelandair, Copa, TACA, Aerolineas Argentinas, Avianca, Mexicana, Philippines, Rossiya, Royal Air Maroc, Tunisair, El Al, MEA.. and lots of much smaller carriers...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Exactly, there's lots of fairly big regional airlines with expanding global reach, ripe for joining ST (or *A or OW).

For example, Alaska Air has strong and close partnerships with both Delta and AA. Sooner or later it should make up it's mind and join one alliance, though honestly for it having it both ways likely makes more sense: more feeder traffic, more award choices for MileagePlus members, so likely for it to join ST or OW it'd need some sort of a compensation for lost traffic & revenues by severing the other ties (as JAL was offered to move from OW to ST).

Then look at various worldwide strong regional airlines. Air Baltic (BT) for example. More than 60% of traffic out of RIX is BT. The fastest (and only) growing airport in the EU by far. Exclusive carrier of Finnish, Danish and now also German governments (though connections in RIX), more coverage in Northern Europe than any other airline (e.g. more cities in Finland than any other airline, though not sure if that is excluding Finnair), and one of the best and strongest coverages of Central Asia from Europe, together with very strong EU coverage and decent Middle East/Northern Africa coverage. Now partner with lots of airlines, http://www.airbaltic.com/public/partners.html , for both codeshare & interline. But, would ultimately benefit by ST or *A or OW feeder traffic for its extensive routes to Central Asia from Europe and vice versa, just like CSA did with ST.

Really there's a number of good potential partners like that, but honestly many of them are now having it both ways by partnering with anyone who makes sense, so partnering with a big alliance also meaning to sever some of the other ties may result in a loss, at least short-term.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I'm bummed to hear the news... though part of me thinks I wouldn't have ever agreed to pay the $400+ in taxes in fees that SQ charged for DL mileage redemption in J. Last award flight I chose could've been on SQ, but I rather pay $100 in taxes and fees and sit in J on a ST member vs. SQ J.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
Wow. That sucks!

Even though in all fairness, SQ C/F ex-US awards were on their way out anyway; they are already pretty hard to get, and will soon become extinct (unless the 380 and 77W blocking policy changes). Wonder how UA/US/CO will handle SQ premium awards...
They seem to "handle" it by simply not getting any availability on the blocked flights. There was a thread/b*tch session on this topic over on the *A board a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Yeah..... if they ever clear FAA basic safety standards.
The EU ban on Garuda was lifted in July, and they have also received permission to fly to the US, though they don't have immediate plans to fly to the US. In the thread on the SkyTeam board about this, someone that has flown the new Garuda J swore that it was actually quite good, with flat beds.

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
Can name quite a few:

Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf, Malaysian, Virgin, Icelandair, Copa, TACA, Aerolineas Argentinas, Avianca, Mexicana, Philippines, Rossiya, Royal Air Maroc, Tunisair, El Al, MEA.. and lots of much smaller carriers...
Mexicana is now in OneWorld, so you can take them off the list. MEA was supposed to join ST, but not sure what happened there (probably the tenuous safety situation in Lebanon). MH, apparently, has mentioned joining ST in their restructuring proposal, and already partners with both AF and DL.

All in all, this is disappointing news, but not necessarily the end of the world.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Very sad news indeed. I've been dreading this announcement for a long time, as the legacy SQ-DL pairing made little sense in an age of alliances. Being partnered with DL/NW, UA, US, and CO was just too much.

My flight next week on a Megatop might be among my last.

This partnership has been good to me for many years, and it's been a key value proposition for SkyMiles in my book. Since 2003, I've redeemed six SQ J and eight SQ F awards between the US and SE Asia, with one F still to fly this month and one J next April. Sure, the fuel surcharge passthrough has sucked, but still, 140,000 SkyMiles for SQ F has been a good deal.

KE is nearly as good as SQ, IMO. But the blackout dates and lack of F awards really bite. Here's hoping MH stays in the SkyMiles fold, availability at low award levels is good, and FIRST awards become available. (The last is a hope in vain, I know, but still....)
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Please! Please! SQ give us DL people a chance to redeem and fly SQ by the same deadlines. I fear this is my last opportunity to ever sit in SQ J!
Not really, just switch to CO
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
Can name quite a few:

Have you ever flown Icelandair?
Copa is tied to CO & *A
Mexicana is a member of Oneworld
Old Dec 10, 2009, 8:30 am

The various Virgin properties.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.