First Class On Regional Jet?

Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by spike9949085
Hey guys,

I just had to change my flights next week. One of my legs involves a regional jet(DTW-BDL)......boooo.

To my surprise I got an upgrade notice though! I didn't know Delta (NWA) had any regional jets with first class. It looks liek its a CRJ900 from what my research shows.

Has anyone ever flown the first class in these flights? Do you still get meal service?

Thanks for your help!
E 175 even better, in my opinion. 1 A may be the best seat in the fleet!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samonyc
I think those are the jets that serve the Delta Shuttle and between LGA and MDW...
Nope. The Shuttle and the MDW route are serviced by the E-175s which are a scosh more roomy. But the 900s are pretty comfortable in first. I have been on at least a dozen of them, mostly via CVG, but do not know about the coach seating since I am running 100% on the upgrades. I do not trust the back of that plane because at heart, it is mostly only a super stretch CRJ in fancy drag.

Most of them in DL livery are operated by Comair although I think that Pinnacle may have a few.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by remedy
E 175 even better, in my opinion. 1 A may be the best seat in the fleet!
+1. I do the MEM-BOS run all the time on the E175 and I love 1A.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dhh1
1A is best seat in system - rivals 73A and B in top deck of 747 as best seat in system. My favorite is 1A in either of the two commuters with first - the other is the Embraer ERJ-175.
That's a bit over the top. 1A is certainly my favorite seat on the CR900, and is more comfortable than any F bulkhead seat on DL's mainline aircraft (MD-88s, 757s, or 737s), but to compare it to 73 A&B on the 747??? Methinks you are either joking or don't get out enough.

Anyway, I have noticed that on the CR900s NW took delivery of the legroom is more restricted than on DL's version, or on the E175.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Hey guys,

I just had to change my flights next week. One of my legs involves a regional jet(DTW-BDL)......boooo.

To my surprise I got an upgrade notice though! I didn't know Delta (NWA) had any regional jets with first class. It looks liek its a CRJ900 from what my research shows.

Has anyone ever flown the first class in these flights? Do you still get meal service?

Thanks for your help!
Sorry but "Booos" are most appropriate for RJ 100 hubs like OKC where you are stuck on these tiny things for 2-3 hours coming and going even on international trips that last over 24 hours.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Actually I prefer 1C on the CRJ900. There is enough leg room so that the window occupant need not disturb you if he/she needs to use the lav. The seats are plenty wide for me. I feel like I have more room on both my left and right with 1C. With 1A I feel like I am constantly leaning to the right because I am so close to the left side of the plane. I think the SkyWest CRJ with FC was the best I ever flew. Can't remember if it is a CRJ900 or not. But sweet IMHO.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I love first class on the CR9 if I can get the single seat A side. Overhead bins are indeed a problem on the CR9 but aside from that quibble if I'm in an A seat I'd have to say the CR9 is my current favorite domestic DL F ride out there (I haven't yet flown F on an E170/190)
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:31 pm

The CR9 and E75 also have the best ratio of F to Y. 12F 64Y.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EVA777
The CR9 and E75 also have the best ratio of F to Y. 12F 64Y.
That is one of the reasons that I have been upgraded at least twenty times hand running in them and have never yet sat in the back. ^

I book on them without hesitation, especially on a T fare.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm a big fan of F on the RJs. I love the left side of the cabin so I have both and aisle and a window (feels more private to me). One piece of advice...board ASAP as the F cabin has usable overhead bins only on one side of the aircraft and they fill quickly.

DL has been increasing numbers of routes with meal service as of late...especially on flights in and out of JFK. Since none of the RJs have ovens, meals are always cold...but not necessarily bad. Had meal service on my last MDW-ATL flight. A nice surprise.

I've found service to be very hit and miss. I was on one flight from ATL-MDW where the FA working F mentioned that he had never worked F before...and it showed. As soon as he took care of us he was back in Y with the other FA and did not come back to F until we were on approach.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:30 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I have done the LGA-MDW a few times on the E175 and it is a great ride. I haven't been able to get myself to fly another carrier on that route since...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry about the breakfast question guys. Blame it on my extremly retarded travel agency my company uses. Those people don't know a plane from their .... Lol anyway, I fly regional all the time (fnt to dtw shortest flight of all time). Anyway, regional jets are just cruddy, anywhere in coach...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry about the breakfast question guys. Blame it on my extremly retarded travel agency my company uses. Those people don't know a plane from their .... Lol anyway, I fly regional all the time (fnt to dtw shortest flight of all time). Anyway, regional jets are just cruddy, anywhere in coach...
The perception is completely opposite for a general member who only sits in the back. The back of any RJ is still the back of an RJ. I have not say back there yet but the 900's and 175's at least look new but I can't speak to comfort. If you are even a silver elite and have a shot at the FC cabin then you love these birds if they are all you have out of your destination because the ratio is such that you will likely get up front occasionally. If you are a Plat or a lucky Gold and you always get up front then they are a great alternative to the old RJ's. I will take 1A over just about any other Dom FC seat so I actually seek out these ac. Big difference in perception but at the end of the day more FC seats is a good thing.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by avidflyer
The perception is completely opposite for a general member who only sits in the back. The back of any RJ is still the back of an RJ. I have not say back there yet but the 900's and 175's at least look new but I can't speak to comfort. If you are even a silver elite and have a shot at the FC cabin then you love these birds if they are all you have out of your destination because the ratio is such that you will likely get up front occasionally. If you are a Plat or a lucky Gold and you always get up front then they are a great alternative to the old RJ's. I will take 1A over just about any other Dom FC seat so I actually seek out these ac. Big difference in perception but at the end of the day more FC seats is a good thing.
I haven't been in back of a CR9 in 2+ years, but it is way better than a CR2 or CR7. The floor is lower on these planes which allows for more shoulder room in the window seat. A CR9 has 2 exit rows, so that adds to the comfort level in those planes. The first row of coach of a CR9 has some pretty good legroom as well. Now, if only you could pre-book those seats.

Does anyone know if Skywest still has the CR9's with only 9 F seats?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I haven't been in back of a CR9 in 2+ years, but it is way better than a CR2 or CR7. The floor is lower on these planes which allows for more shoulder room in the window seat. A CR9 has 2 exit rows, so that adds to the comfort level in those planes. The first row of coach of a CR9 has some pretty good legroom as well. Now, if only you could pre-book those seats.

Does anyone know if Skywest still has the CR9's with only 9 F seats?
FWIW I have been flying back and fourth SLC-SFO for a few months now and 100% on SKW CR900's and they have all been the 12 seat config.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.