Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Opinion on DL Vacations with All-Inclusive Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AMEX DL Plat

Looking to take Mrs. Cdh2585 to DR or Costa Rica for our one year in late summer. Starting to budget for it. Does anyone have any good/bad expierences in using DL as the travel agency?

I am looking at one of the All-Inclusive resorts in either of these locations.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Using the 'old' NWA world vacations, I always had a lot of luck. Prices were great and product always as advertised. I think the pricing has gone up slightly with the new DL vacations, but overall I think it's still offered through the same agency, and should be the same product. I'd recommend it. Keep your eye on the promo codes on that page too - they're not automatically applied, and some can save you small amounts ($50 or so).
Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:21 am

In the past if was kind'a neat because you could use miles for part of the travel, but still get the package price. I don't know if you still can or not under DL Vacations. Generally they were pretty knowledgeable, and as far as I know, there's no fee to book a package over the phone.

Though, if you're not using miles you might want to consider Costco vacations. I've had very good luck with them too.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I have scheduled about five vacations for me and my family using both DL vacations and the old NW vacations. Absolutely, no issues with either. Great prices.

My concern is the "All Inclusive" resorts. Usually not a good buy. the food is usually mediocre and it keeps you at the resort too much. I have actually found it cheaper to pay as you go. You get out to the local spots more (cheaper) and are less confined to to the medicore offerings that are inherent in any all-inclusive deal.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
Loved Iberostar Grand

My GF and I used DL Vacations for a trip just like the one you're looking for...loved it. The Dominican/Punta Cana is miles above Cancun/Riviera Maya in terms of service and quality. Newer, too!

No problems except when we checked in, they couldn't find our hotel reservation. The desk clerk asked us through which travel site we booked our rooms. I told her DL Vacations.com and she had never heard of it. She looked under the bookings thru orbitz and found us there.

We can get into the AI vs pay-as-you-go argument in another thread but I will say that the "Grand" product from Iberostar is quite impressive. No one under 18 in the resort, mostly couples. Food is good, not excellent, but much better than expected. Best AI package out there but a bit pricey.

Check out tripadvisor for reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.