More thanks to Kevin Pinto

Old Jan 18, 2001, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally posted by james:
Mr. Pinto is the current public face of SkyMiles and he is the one who makes unfortunate remarks in the Wall Street Journal. If he sets himself up (by virtue of his job) as Delta's public channel to us, he is (one of) our public channels to Delta. Therefore, we can and should communuicate our views to/through him. Nobody is out to get anybody here, just to seek change.

Moreover, pzsoccer, your message does rather lack credibility - someone whose name you don't know that you met at an airport in Japan told you that someone else whose name you don't really know for sure is the problem. I think I will worry about Mr. Pinto for now, thank you.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 01-18-2001).]
Well said James. The last thing we need right now is a flame war.

Old Jan 18, 2001, 10:56 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Only a fool fights in a burning house.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jan 18, 2001, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Craz, you are right. We are not 5 year olds. We realise that it's Delta's airline and Delta's frequent flyer program. They can changes their fares, rules, terms and conditions as they wish. However, there are the following considerations:

1. The changes this year are a significant dilution of SkyMiles'(argueably) best beneift.

2. The program has been diluted in a cumulative year-on-year fashion with restrictions to upgradable fares, etc., discussed ad nauseam.

3. The changes from 2001 are sweeping, seriously affecting the benefits of Gold and Silver medallions and to some extent many platinums.

4. The changes were announced late in the year when travel/status plans for the remainder of 2000 and in consequence 2001 we effectively set. While it isn't surprising that the announcemnt was made in Sept/Oct, it would have been more generous to make it in Dec 99/Jan 2000 giving a full year of notice.

5. This is not a clever way to treat what are, by definition, your best customers. It sends out appaling messages about how you value their loyalty and see their future business with you.

6. The airline market outside hub cities is very competetive. Frequent flyer programs exist as a marketing tool to encourage the loyalty to one airline of regular travellers.

Delta can do what it likes with its business - what matters is both what it does and how it does it. Similarly, we can do what we like with our custom.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 01-18-2001).]
Old Jan 18, 2001, 2:56 pm

Well, if Spahn (sp) is the bad guy, why isn't he going to be on this forum tonight ? (dumb question)

What gets me is that in the same sentence, the spin doctors say that the changes to the program are due to increased demand for seats on European routes...yet most of the benefits cut only effect domestic flights (why change system wides to N America only AND double the # of miles ?)

I have exchanged emails with Dl customer service...seems like no matter what my point is, they always reply with the same answer...it is better for the flyers.

I also asked them if these changes were based on that bogus survey that they did last year...the results of which were dubious. According to that survey, the avg business traveller flies <25 segments per year (or something like that). That's not even Medallion level...

I'm tired of talking to them...so, now, every time I book a non-Delta itinerary (which is happening with increasing frequency), I email the itinerary to the CS rep that I was dealing with. I also registered at www.saveskymiles.com (although it is doubtful that anything will come of that, since Delta seems to ignore their loyal customers anyway.

Can't wait to chat with Kev and Chris tonight !!!
Old Jan 18, 2001, 3:38 pm

Good Idea. All of Medallion members who are gonna leave once we use up what we got should send copies of last year's activity and copies of our new tickets on other airlines. If Leo and company received this from every Saveskymiles member every time they flew....changes would be made.

We need to be sending these articles about SSM to ANALYST that cover the airline industry. I think they would be very interested.
Old Jan 18, 2001, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW,

I am listening to the DL call with the analysts right now. Leo states that Premium travel is decreasing because of a softening economy. I guess that destroys the myth of those full premium cabins.

One great thing about the call was that we now have the names of the top airline analysts who ask Delta questions. If there is no change in the policy, I can guarantee that they will hammer Leo about this in the next quarters call.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 9:14 am
Suspended

James, I agree with what you said.However since I am a member of numerous FF progs on different airlines I found they basically all do the same and recently too with the most generous taking back the most. Some like US & CO make you stay over a Sat night on a free coach or it'll cost 40,000 miles something they thru in a yr or so ago.

And little by little ALL of them have been reducing the perks even from there TOP LEVEL.

Basically what happens is those from AA leave to UA, UA people go to CO,CO people go to DL,DL people go to AA. So in the long run an airline almost evens out,thats why they can get away with it.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 9:22 am

Originally posted by Jresn022:
If Leo and company received this from every Saveskymiles member every time they flew....changes would be made.
Unfortunately, it'll probably be just their email address they'd change!

Old Jan 19, 2001, 9:57 am
Original Member

craz, I am sure that is right.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 10:28 am

Pinto may not be the real culprit, but it was he that was on the web talk, it is his name that we have, it is he that has shown a misunderstanding of facts, it is he that has been appointed to represent Delta. He is high enough up in the company and getting paid enough to take the heat, therefore he should hear from us. Let him get the message thru to Leo et al.

Don't worry Kevin Pinto- I am sure we will be given a new name to bother soon, but it is your job to let Vicki, Leo etc really know how we feel and that we will soon be walking elsewhere.

Old Jan 19, 2001, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I have to take issue with the idea that *all* programs are diluting benefits. On the AA side (my current favirote airline), the number of benefits for Executive Platinum's has INCREASED this year. We no longer have to use upgrade segmeents/coupons on "Y" fares. This is a great thing for us.

Yes, a lot of airlines are diluting, but not all of them.

I found Leo's remarks about declining premium travel to be fasincating given that they're eliminating SWU's to make room for more revenue passengers.
Old May 27, 2004, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I just wanted to resurrect this old post

Has anyone heard from ole Kevin in a while????????????? Did he go the way of ole Leo??????
Old May 27, 2004, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Why Pinto?"

"WHY NOT?!?"
Old May 27, 2004, 2:28 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
SSM (both kinds) is great, but I think given the lack of data integrity, it is time to stop trumpeting the mileage statistics.
Old May 27, 2004, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He hasn't been doing Skymiles for quite awhile, but he is still at Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.