Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Elite luggage allowance on DL-coded Air France flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat

I am going to be traveling shortly the return portion of a US-BCN-US trip, which was booked directly through DL. As a Gold Medallion, I know that I normally get two 70-pound pieces of free checked baggage allowance, and I took full advantage of that on the outbound trip.

For the return, however, I note that the first flight is a DL-coded flight on AF metal BCN-CDG (to connect to an actual Delta transatlantic flight). At check-in in BCN, is there a risk that Air France will try to impose their own limit of one 23 kg bag? The baggage allowance calculator on their web site (and it is a sad sign of the times that one should NEED a "calculator" to answer such inquiries) indicates that only one piece is allowed for transatlantic flights originating in Europe, even for their own Flying Blue Platinimum members. Is that really correct?
Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
This is from the AF FAQ:

1. What are the limits for checked baggage?

- The baggage allowance changed for tempo class passengers traveling

2 checked bags with a maximum weight of 50lbs/23kgs each. The checked bags must be within the size limit (not changed), of 1 bag with a maximum total dimension (w+h+l) of 62"/158cm and 1 bag with a maximum total dimension of 55"/140cm.
Tempo class passengers that are flying blue platinum or club 2000 Members, or originate their travel in Brazil, or tempo passengers with tickets issued before November 1st, 2005, still benefit from the previous baggage allowance of 2 bags with a maximum weight of 70lbs/32kgs each.

For Voyageur cabin (coach class) tickets issued after November 1, 2009, for flights between Europe and the United States:
* passengers can transport 1 hold baggage item weighing up to 23 kg free of charge,
* Flying Blue Platinum, Gold or Elite members can transport 2 hold baggage items weighing up to 23 kg each free of charge.

If you wish to transport baggage which exceeds either the allocated weight, or an extra item of baggage, you must purchase an additional baggage allowance during check-in. The fee for checking in a second hold baggage item is €50 ($50 when departing from the United States). Please note: you save 20% if you purchase your additional baggage allowance during online check-in on www.airfrance.com.

I've found that AF replies very quickly when using their 'Contact Us' link at the top of the home page.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:10 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
It has been my experience that the baggage allowance is based on the TATL carrier. Also, because you are on a DL codeshare (even though it is AF metal), you are still allowed the DL limits on baggage. To be sure, you can always call DL and confirm. Better yet, e-mail DL so tat you get a written response that you can print out and have ready shold you run into any difficulties checking in.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
From Delta's international Contract of Carriage, rule 116:

I. Governing Rules for Codeshare Flights
For codeshare services, each customer will be entitled to the free baggage allowance and charged the excess baggage charges (when applicable) of the Marketing Carrier, regardless of who the Operating Carrier is. If the need arises for operational or safety related reasons, the Operating Carrier may require that carry-on baggage be checked at the gate, but no additional excess baggage charges will apply.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
According to the initial press release about the new TATL fees, AF said that SkyTeam Elite and Elite+ pax were exempt from the second bag fee:

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...condbagfee.htm

The baggage area of the website is mum, however. Might be worth a quick email to confirm.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally in such cases, whatever the airline the one with the greater bagage limit (and distance) wins out. Where it does NOT however generally with AF/KL is a Delta PM in Biz flying with a third bag, as AFKL does not recognize that DL benefit.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:31 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by hfly
Generally in such cases, whatever the airline the one with the greater bagage limit (and distance) wins out. Where it does NOT however generally with AF/KL is a Delta PM in Biz flying with a third bag, as AFKL does not recognize that DL benefit.
I just flew MLB-ATL-CDG-SOF on ASA, DL, and AF, respectively. The AF flight was a DL codeshare. I flew BE on the DL metal from ATL-CDG. I checked 3 bags with no problems.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and what exactly does that have to do with what I said?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I just flew MLB-ATL-CDG-SOF on ASA, DL, and AF, respectively. The AF flight was a DL codeshare. I flew BE on the DL metal from ATL-CDG. I checked 3 bags with no problems.
Right. I have never had any problems at all when originating in the U.S., even if the overwater carrier is going to be a foreign carrier with a lower allowance, and the first hop is only a shorthaul commuter flight on a more generous carrier.

Where I have run into problems occasionally in the past with different carriers is starting a trip in Europe in the reverse situation - a short-haul connecting flight with a stingy European carrier whose check-in agent, even though it may be very clear on the ticket or in the CoC, nonetheless tries to insist on applying the lower allowance of their airline rather than the transatlantic allowance of their alliance partner operating the overwater segment. I have had quite a good battle with Lufthansa over that, actually.

For my travel this week, I have armed myself with the documents you all kindly supplied, and will avoid carrying the normally-allowed additional 20 pounds in each bag, just in case.

I do find it interesting that the luggage allowances you have found described by Air France in their official terms do not consistently agree with the results returned by the luggage allowance calculator provided on their web site. Of course, they would not be the first airline to be IT-challenged...
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by hfly
and what exactly does that have to do with what I said?
You said: Generally in such cases, whatever the airline the one with the greater bagage limit (and distance) wins out. Where it does NOT however generally with AF/KL is a Delta PM in Biz flying with a third bag, as AFKL does not recognize that DL benefit.

I was pointing out that I flew on an AF flight and did not experience any issues with a third bag. That's exactly what that had to do with what you said.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but you said that it was operated by Delta, so unless you are intentionally trying to be cute, you have really said nothing.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
So, after all of this speculation I thought I'd just ask at the source and dropped an email to AF's German helpdesk, asking them about the baggage limits for me as a PM on a AF operated, DL coded flight and flying on DL ticket stock. Here is the somewhat confusing answer (translation below the original text):

Geehrter cygnus

vielen Dank für Ihre E-mail Anfrage.

Als Platinum Vielflieger haben Sie bei Air France mit einem Air France Ticket
weiterhin die gleichen Gepäckbestimmungen. Falls Ihr Ticket von Delta
ausgestellt wurde, gelten jedoch die Delta Bestimmungen.

Wir möchten Sie bitten, dass Sie sich bezüglich weiterer Fragen telefonisch mit unserer Reservierungszentrale unter folgender Telefonnummer in Verbindung setzen:

Deutschland 01805 830 830 (0,14EUR/min)

Sie erreichen unsere Kollegen zwischen 08h00 und 20h00 Montag bis Freitag und

09h00 und 17h30 am Samstag.
and the translation of this is the following
Dear Cygnus,

thank you very much for your inquiry.

As a platinum frequent flier on AF with an AF ticket the same baggage regulations continue to apply. If your ticket was issued by Delta, however, the Delta regulations apply.

We would like to ask you to contact our reservations center under the following telephone number...
If you wonder about the confusing sentence (As a platinum...), yes, it is that confusing in German as well - I have no clue what they mean with "the same baggage regulations continue to apply". The important and even more confusing part, however, is the one boldfaced. Not that I believe it to be true given DL's international conditions of carriage quoted further up in this thread, but, well it is an additional data point and I'll print out that email and take it with me on my next flight...

I'd think, however, that we should try and get some more information out of AF, so I suggest that somebody else asks a similar question to AF (in a different country). Let's see what they say!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.