Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying to figure out Delta Amex Reserve card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to figure out if the Delta Amex Reserve card makes sense for me. (I already have the "normal" Amex card) As I understand it, there is a basic award of 10, 000 miles (Medalion or whatever it is called) which count toward status. So if I want to be Gold next year (for preboarding, security preference etc) and would be short otherwise, that would be a cheap way for the 450 fee to get those miles, with other possibilities for charges etc. And if I made it anyway, under the Delta system the excess would carry forward. I have several years left on my World Club card so the Club benefit doesn't matter to me. Are there other things I should be thinking about here? On the face of it it seems a cheap way to get useful miles compared to mileage runs etc.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
I think you're right basically right but I believe the 10k is a one-time bonus while the 450 dollars is a fee that is billed annually. Of course you could always cancel after a year. In addition MQM's are available for designated spending targets.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Dia Ambassador ,AA Gold
Originally Posted by rcbarton
I think you're right basically right but I believe the 10k is a one-time bonus while the 450 dollars is a fee that is billed annually. Of course you could always cancel after a year. In addition MQM's are available for designated spending targets.
Do you receive the 10000 bonus sign up MQM if you already received a bonus with the regular AMEX platinum card as well?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:17 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mshachar
Do you receive the 10000 bonus sign up MQM if you already received a bonus with the regular AMEX platinum card as well?
It depends on Amex. They have a long memory.
You are allowed 1 personal and 1 business card.
If that type of card previously in your life at anytime got the MQMs you will not get any more.
But if you got only 5, you will get 5 more for a total of 10.
If you got 15 in the past as with some offers,
you get nothing extra now for initial welcome bonus.

You will still get 30k MQMs for spending 60k.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mshachar
I switched from the delta gold card to the delta reserve so I never received a MQM bonus when I originally signed up but did get one when I switched to Reserve. Plat might be different.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:33 pm
Company Representative - Amex

Hi Joe747,

I’m not sure which Delta American Express Card you have, however if you upgrade your account to the Delta Reserve Card you will receive a one time Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles. Please keep in mind if you previously received any Medallion Qualification Miles you would be awarded with the difference.

In addition, with the Delta Reserve Card you can earn:

15,000 SkyMiles and 15,000 MQM’s by spending $30,000.00 every calendar year.

A second bonus of 15,000 SkyMiles and 15,000 MQM’s by spending $60,000.00 within the same calendar year.

Free Concierge service.

Delta Sky Club™ access when traveling on Delta or Northwest Airlines.

If you would like me to review your account and respond to any additional questions you may have, please forward an email to me via our Secure Message Center and I will personally respond back to you.

Please log in to our Secure Message Center at:

www.americanexpress.com/messagecenter

If you are not registered to access your account online, simply click on the “continue” box located on the right to create a User ID and password.

After logging in, click on the box “Compose A Message” and select “General Inquiries” for “Choose a Topic.” If you address your email to me – Beth/FlyerTalk – I will personally receive your email and respond directly to you.

Beth
Amex Customer Care
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:29 am

YTD issue

I had the Platinum AMEX up until about a month ago when I upgraded to the Reserve. I had previously reached the 50K spending to get the 20K MQM's before I upgraded.

The offer I used for upgrading gave me 5K more MQM's which have already posted.

My billing statement just past and when looking at it it has my YTD spending only the last month of spending. Should this happen or is this a glitch that I need to call about?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by robn77
I had the Platinum AMEX up until about a month ago when I upgraded to the Reserve. I had previously reached the 50K spending to get the 20K MQM's before I upgraded.

The offer I used for upgrading gave me 5K more MQM's which have already posted.

My billing statement just past and when looking at it it has my YTD spending only the last month of spending. Should this happen or is this a glitch that I need to call about?
It should show YTD as if nothing has changed IME.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:53 am

Will the 10k mqm post by year end if I get the card today?

If not, it's not worth it to me.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by jmwsdw
Mine came in a few weeks but even if they didn't get posted until Q1 2010, they would be "retroactive" with a posting date in 2009.

The other benefit to having the reserve is a higher upgrade position all other factors being equal.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, MR Silver, HH Diamond, PC Plat
For my Plat Amex i got the 5K posted within 2 weeks of first purchase. Which was less then a total of 4 weeks (applied to post).
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmwsdw
Will the 10k mqm post by year end if I get the card today?

If you use it this year, unless Amex makes an error with it, the 10K MQMs will post.

Fair warning, an Amex date error in sending miles over to DL to post is notoriously difficult to unwind and correct.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:39 pm

I received a response from AMEX customer care and they basically said that the YTD starts over when you upgrade to the Reserve. I would have to spend 30K in the next month to get the next 15K MQM's

It's a good thing I had the 50K spending before I upgraded the card.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:24 pm

Maybe I missing something

Maybe Im toally missing something huge, but why go with the Reserve over the Platinum? Is it just to get more MQMs? or are there other benefit differences.

I love my amex platinum (its unhealthy really) and am concerned that is blinding me from some great benefit of the Reserve card.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by am3xplatinum
Maybe Im toally missing something huge, but why go with the Reserve over the Platinum? Is it just to get more MQMs? or are there other benefit differences....
Nothing important.

Only some upgrading preferences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.