Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Paper only Plastic Starting 12/1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xanthuos
Last time I was on jetBlue, I charged at least 3 drinks to my card while in air. I watched the gentleman swipe my card each time and it approve it. They never hit my account.

Cashless could be niiice...
I have a food purchase from a July flight on DL that never hit my credit card.

Also, FL has been CC only for many years.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
I will be very impressed if they transition all DL flights to this policy in time for the cut off. That being all of the DL connection and former NWA metal flights. Let's see what happens. Either way is good for me.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Anyone know if they process the transactions in real time? Or once they land?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
My guess is upon landing. The fee/overhead for realtime handshakes would out pace the loss from cards that have valid number check sums/expiry dates yet have been cutoff in the system (severe over limits, closed accounts, stolen reports, etc).

They are selling $7 drinks that probably cost 3$, so their loss would be $20 per flight if you assume 5 or so folks in a flight suffering the above.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Airlines moving to a only CC policy will facilitate charging for gate-checked luggage, when the airlines decide they can get away with this.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zman
Also AA
I was on AA a week ago and the FA said that taking plastic only made their job easier. @:-) DL is simply joining the others with this policy.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
Count me as one who likes the transition. I haven't yet been on a flight where the CC machine wasn't working, and I have actually seen far more delays when pax pay with cash...like when everybody wants to make a $5 expenditure with a $20 bill, and the FA quickly runs out of change. I also suspect it's an additional burden on the FAs, having to reconcile the products that were used up vs. the cash on hand.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks....
I was on a flight in Y when the CC machine stopped working and had ordered a sandwich. I handed my card to the FA, at which point the FA gave me the sandwich on the house and explained the "machines were acting up". I then pulled some $$ out of my wallet and offered it in lieu of the card, but FA wouldn't accept it.

I personally prefer to use plastic as it gets me an itemized receipt / proof of payment.

I'm quite happy with the EATS program when flying in Y (especially when compared to some other airline Buy on Board programs) --- I only wish they would update the menu more often or have a couple more selections ... when in the back of the bus, the menu tends to get old quick.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
It seems to be upon landing.

I believe the machine simply makes sure the card is valid (i.e. follows an algorithm) and stores the sale in a batch, which is then transmitted once on the ground. I would suspect the number of bad cards they get is minimal.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by macoz
I know of a person whose card the machine would not read on AS (they have a cashless policy).

That person got a free meal and drink...my guess is this is SOP. Nothing wrong with his card, works elsewhere, just a ghost in the machine.

The immoral lesson behind the story, randomize the magnetics on your stripe and drink free.

Dunno how to do that...microwave? bulk tape eraser? boil in water for 20 mins?

In practice, the view is not worth the climb, but perhaps it offers insight on how the process works (or is supposed to work).

For some reason my Korean Air SKYPASS Visa regularly fails when using it on DL flights for purchases. I prefer to use my Chase Visa in any case since the online banking is better, but it's still weird that one type of card will work when another will not.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by xanthuos
Last time I was on jetBlue, I charged at least 3 drinks to my card while in air. I watched the gentleman swipe my card each time and it approve it. They never hit my account.

Cashless could be niiice...
One of the meals I purchased onboard a Delta flight never showed up on the credit card. But it was the corporate credit card, so the oversight did not benefit me personally. In fact, it was a pain to keep track of the little receipt (which I would need for the expense report just in case it ever did hit). Eventually, the writing on the receipt becomes illegible, since they use the thermal paper in the cc machines.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
If the plane had WiFi (which not all do) they might be able to process those transactions real time. But otherwise, they would have to do it on the ground either every time they land or at the end of the day.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond
Cash not welcome on Delta flights

Just sort of curious. Given the new (as of Dec 1) policy of cashless (credit cards only) on Delta flights, is that even legal? I've always thought that that phrase on the bills "legal tender for all debts public and private" meant that it was the one form of payment that just about had to be accepted. Anybody with deeper knowledge than I care to comment? Personally, I don't like using a card for every small purchase (five bucks for a beer for instance) and would prefer to use cash. I could easily buy into the idea of correct change only, but no cash accepted at all? I do admit to some curmudgeonly tendencies...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by mjloos
Just sort of curious. Given the new (as of Dec 1) policy of cashless (credit cards only) on Delta flights, is that even legal? I've always thought that that phrase on the bills "legal tender for all debts public and private" meant that it was the one form of payment that just about had to be accepted. Anybody with deeper knowledge than I care to comment? Personally, I don't like using a card for every small purchase (five bucks for a beer for instance) and would prefer to use cash. I could easily buy into the idea of correct change only, but no cash accepted at all? I do admit to some curmudgeonly tendencies...
I wondered the same thing... but it is probably to prevent the FAs from having to locate change. It would be interesting to find out the legal requirement!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
From a WSJ article that would apply to this question. Treasury's explaination is below. You can read an alternative perspective in the link.

There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/09/11/...t-is-it-legal/
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:45 pm

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.