Delta 2010 DO Update

Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
I had a blast at the DO this year, and am really looking forward to it next year.

Although the possibility of this would be slim, I'd love a ride in a flight simulator at the next event!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mersk862
A DO is FlyerTalk slang for a meet. There are various stories as to where the terminology came from exactly, but I've enjoyed every one that I've been to!
If you look up the definition of the word do as a noun, it can mean a party or get-together, so it's not limited to FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Dilemma
I had a blast at the DO this year, and am really looking forward to it next year.

Although the possibility of this would be slim, I'd love a ride in a flight simulator at the next event!
I would love to fly the flight simulator!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Originally Posted by me4yankees
If you look up the definition of the word do as a noun, it can mean a party or get-together, so it's not limited to FlyerTalk.
^ +1

yes, i've seen the term used in many circles. definitely not a flyertalk exclusive word.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
I would love to fly the flight simulator!
Gotta be 18... Though I will tell you, it's awesome.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Gotta be 18... Though I will tell you, it's awesome.
Grrrrrrrrr..........if my vision wasn't messed up I'd be a pilot. But I have used the 777 simulator at D&B and did a perfect landing.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Grrrrrrrrr..........if my vision wasn't messed up I'd be a pilot. But I have used the 777 simulator at D&B and did a perfect landing.
I can tell you from my personal experience of using a professional simulator (KC-135R) that the professional simulators are nowhere near as easy as something at a D&B or MS Flight Sim. They aren't toys in any case but serious training tools that cost tens of thousands of dollars to acquire.

While I have not had the opportunity to use the Delta flight simulators, from the dozens of photos I've seen and talking to people that have used them, they are quite impressive - then again, it doesn't surprise me - seeing the facilities that maintenance and cabin crew have for their use at the DO was much more than I thought, and I'm sure the pilots have some of the best facilities in the world as well.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
I can tell you from my personal experience of using a professional simulator (KC-135R) that the professional simulators are nowhere near as easy as something at a D&B or MS Flight Sim. They aren't toys in any case but serious training tools that cost tens of thousands of dollars to acquire.

While I have not had the opportunity to use the Delta flight simulators, from the dozens of photos I've seen and talking to people that have used them, they are quite impressive - then again, it doesn't surprise me - seeing the facilities that maintenance and cabin crew have for their use at the DO was much more than I thought, and I'm sure the pilots have some of the best facilities in the world as well.
That is true. The simulator at D&B had thrust, flaps, landing gear, rudder control, and the control wheel. Nothing else. I've been in the flight deck, there is a LOT more than that.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
We MUST invite the girl from the safety video to train us on the proper finger wag.
Been there. Done that.

Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Been there. Done that.

Just rub it in...

It's funny that me and skoker were both saying that we should get Deltalina at the next DO...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Actually a good idea- Issue boarding passes for each activity when we register, and you present your BP to enter each venue.

We will, of course, need to divide them by boarding zones to keep the entry process smooth.

There will be reissue fees in case of lost BP's, and someone with a loupe and maglite to inspect each BP and do ID matching...
As one of the tech geeks with this DO I'm going to tell you all (or Ya'll in my native tongue) that the Breezeway will be missing. However each and everyone of you are subject to SSSS
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
That is true. The simulator at D&B had thrust, flaps, landing gear, rudder control, and the control wheel. Nothing else. I've been in the flight deck, there is a LOT more than that.
ATLDiff and I almost lost our free lunch in a 737 sim at another event... bad thing is was the sim was on the ground in taxi.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I'm so jealous Gargoyle!!!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by WesNSpace
As one of the tech geeks with this DO I'm going to tell you all (or Ya'll in my native tongue) that the Breezeway will be missing. However each and everyone of you are subject to SSSS
Please leave the gloves alone....
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WesNSpace
Woohoo for being SSSS exempt! (per DHS/TSA regulation!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.