Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta 2010 DO Update

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by WBurcham
But, on topic, you have lots of intenrational BE meal service experience?
I'm not certain all my B/E meal choices were intentionally rational. But I will say, it's much easier to be served than to serve- the FA's make their job look easy, but it isn't!

And that is also why I said that RWT is helping us to be good ABP's, but it only gives us a little glimpse into what it takes to be an FA.

ABP: Able Bodied Person, one who can be called on to assist in an emergency.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by atldlff
I even thought of a really creative idea of letting the FAs be passengers and having FT members be that FAs in one of the mock-up cabins at the training center. Now that would be good material for the comedy channel.
I would SO be in.

On a more serious note though, about the RWT, I've mentioned it to flight attendants on other airlines I've been on over the past month. They were all surprised that Delta did such a thing and wished that their airlines (UA and CO in this case) would do such a thing...they thought it was great that even though it was only a day, I had at least been made aware of what goes on. As I was telling one of our great NYC flight attendants the other day on DL50, it really makes it valuable to us as a customer to get even a slight glimpse into all the training that goes on and makes me appreciate what they do so much more.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL
Well, slight correction as Gargoyle already pointed out. RWT is not nearly as intense as 6 weeks of FA training. Although we learned how to be prepared and deal with a variety of emergencies, and got a lot of practice on how to quickly and safely evacuate the plane, I am certain that many of FT'ers were glad there wasn't a test and certification at the end. With that said, I think many who participated will tell you they had fun and they are really much more prepared to assist with handling an emergency, in the unlikely event one should arise.

Who says we are not working on a GA program? Do you think you can handle 8-10 outbound flights in day, during bad weather, with a few cancellations thrown in for good measure? And how about managing the Breezeway boarding at the gate and scanning boarding passes, while fielding all those questions about did FC really board full, and why do I have to gate-check this 29" rollerboard that I got through security?

I even thought of a really creative idea of letting the FAs be passengers and having FT members be that FAs in one of the mock-up cabins at the training center. Now that would be good material for the comedy channel.

A wise man once said, "Walk a miles in another man's shoes...."

Who knows what we have in store for the next event One never knows. Like Canarsie and I have said before, stay tuned...
That is true.

Work on the GA program. I would LOVE to do that.

Originally Posted by mersk862
I would SO be in.
+1. I would do that as well.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:45 pm

I would SO be in.
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
Work on the GA program. I would LOVE to do that.
Maybe you could work together as GA's?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:12 pm

Sorry for the newbie question, but I just noticed this thread and wondered what "DO" meant. I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too. Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by timeasterday
Sorry for the newbie question, but I just noticed this thread and wondered what "DO" meant. I've seen that mentioned elsewhere too. Thanks!
A DO is FlyerTalk slang for a meet. There are various stories as to where the terminology came from exactly, but I've enjoyed every one that I've been to!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
mersk862 would be his chaperon for the entire DO. What a guy!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I'm not sure...I do enjoy my Woodford
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL
You mean mersk862 and I?

That would be interesting...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
He did suggest that to me this evening via Instant Message.

I'm not sure...I do enjoy my Woodford
I can attest to that.

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
You mean mersk862 and I?

That would be interesting...
You would have a good time, mersk862 does like kids.......
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
We were able to clear the waitlist for everyone that wanted to attend the last event, so we ask for your continued patience.
Can you create an online GIDS display for this year's waitlist? Do I jump higher on the list if I have a Reserve card?

Pitbrian+1 definitely interested.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I would be up for this if timing works out.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:08 pm

Do you think you can handle 8-10 outbound flights in day, during bad weather, with a few cancellations thrown in for good measure? And how about managing the Breezeway boarding at the gate and scanning boarding passes, while fielding all those questions about did FC really board full, and why do I have to gate-check this 29" rollerboard that I got through security?
If we have this, RWT would be boring for me because that sounds like a daily occurrence for me, welcome to the Gates at Buffalo

As long as you can't use GIDS, that would be cheating!

[Delta will be calling you shortly, they are gonna start using that as a job description soon haha soooo accurate]
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:27 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Barring any serious date conflicts, consider me a yes for this please. I enjoyed the events I attended very much last year.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
We MUST invite the girl from the safety video to train us on the proper finger wag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.