Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NW-codeshare undercuts DL by $2,000+ on a DL-operated flight!

Old Oct 25, 09, 8:16 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

I was booking some tickets in J for JFK-SYD for next month. A quick query on Orbitz put DL at $14,648. NW, on the exact same DL-operated flights, $12,483.

Are there rules precluding the operating subs of DL and NW from coordinating fare info because the two operating carriers haven't merged yet?

(I chose Qantas at a slightly higher fare.)
Old Oct 25, 09, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker View Post
I was booking some tickets in J for JFK-SYD for next month. A quick query on Orbitz put DL at $14,648. NW, on the exact same DL-operated flights, $12,483.

Are there rules precluding the operating subs of DL and NW from coordinating fare info because the two operating carriers haven't merged yet?

D on DL from JFK is <$11k RT
Old Oct 25, 09, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I
Not at all.
Old Oct 25, 09, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS MVP
I suspect this has less to do with fare differences (which I haven't seen recently), but instead with separate inventory management. IME, it is often the case that the NW codeshare will have availability in lower fare buckets than the DL native code (or v.v.), resulting in a lower price. I've found this is especially true if you mix and match, which seems to confuse the married-segment logic.
Old Oct 26, 09, 2:05 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA

FYI

At that price, I would look at booking a RTW on Oneworld (QF, CX, BA, AA...) in F (A/P). Priced out at <$12K when I last booked. Better comfort (got the QF 380 two weeks ago in F)

Only major requirements are the need to book 10 days in advance, and the trip must be at least 10 days in duration. I make a sales/goodwill trip of it and see some extra foreign customers on the way.
Old Oct 26, 09, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM
I know it's a long flight and I know that different people have different means and different priorities, and in fact it is most likely being paid by an employer, but I still just have trouble getting my head around the idea that anything in DL BE could possibly be worth that much money...

Now QF in F on the 380... that's getting closer...
Old Oct 26, 09, 6:33 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I was recently looking to book an upgradeable itinerary ATL-BKK. Using nwa.com, I figured out which flights had upgradeable inventory. When trying to book those very same flights on DL.com, it would book into B fare class on the long-hauls, resulting in a total fare of over $4000. The same flights on nwa.com in an upgradeable fare class priced out at $2600. The SMS agents understood, were aware of other instances of similar things happening, and told me how to make the booking at the lower price through NW and get it upgraded all the way. ^

This is for the "Delta" flight ATL-NRT operated by NW (for now, likely to go back to DL metal by the time I fly), and a NW flight NRT-BKK.
Old Oct 26, 09, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Hey Megatop -- I've been looking at the same thing. NWA.com is pricing out much lower, and shows be instant availablity into Biz (U). But what do you mean by SMS told you how to make the booking through NW? Did you have to do anything special other than click the "SkyMiles Upgrade" checkbox? The itineraries show up as Business (U) and the miles required for the updrade. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: