Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz

Has anyone else experienced a delay in the complimentary upgrades clearing? I am currently NW Gold and within 27 hrs of the first flight, my 4th and 6th segment's have already been upgraded. The other segments 1,2,3,5,7 and 8 have not. Checking one ways between segments for booking into F has many openings.

Maybe we have to wait for the merger dust to settle...anything the "hot lines" can do?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Are they booked on 006 or 012 ticket stock
Are the flights DL flight codeshared on NW metal?
Where did you book the flights (nwa.com,delta.com, via phone)??
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
Originally Posted by Brian_is_flyin
Are they booked on 006 or 012 ticket stock
Are the flights DL flight codeshared on NW metal?
Where did you book the flights (nwa.com,delta.com, via phone)??
Positioning flight: delta.com 006 stock operated by Delta 1933,2031,2038,1937
T-Con: nwa.com 012 ticket stock...operated by NWA 161,220,1029,1044

ORD-ATL-FLL-MSP-SEA-DTW-FLL-ATL-ORD
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: ??????????
Complimentary upgrades are not given based on F availability.

DL thinks they can still sell those seats so they're not giving them away quite yet.

X or V (depending on if your flight is internationally or domestic coded) inventory needs to be available ... if your upgrade isn't clearing, there is currently no X or V inventory.

Some may open up, otherwise upgrades will be processed at the gate.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:07 am
Original Poster

They sure cleared alot sooner with NWA as the only one running the show.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had upgrades for two flights on NW metal clear yesterday (5 days out). Only hours after I booked them.

I would check expertflyer.com or KVS to see what the R availability is on your NW flights. If there is R availability and you haven't been upgraded then it may be worth a call.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I too, as a NW Plat, did not get an UG on my DL 757 fltight tomorrow JFK-SLC.

Nor was I offered an upgrade upon checkin just now, and there is no upgrade standby list to look at on DL. What's up with that??? Also there were no other seats to select and move from my awful seat to a better one. Even the exit rows are non-reclining.

When I picked the flight, I never thought that a sat am 757 flight with 24 F seats would not get the upgrade in advance. My call to the PE line agent stated that the computer looked to see if it could UG me, but didn't do it. She could not look at my standing on the list, nor is there one at DL.com for me to look at. NWA.com offers one still, but this flight is not available for the list.

I am already UG for my return on NW at 6 days out.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
So...let me see if I have this right....

If you purchase a more expensive ticket, you get on the waiting list for upgrades. If you purchase a less expensive ticket, you don’t get on the wait list until every other alternative has been exhausted?

I just looked at an upcoming flight MSP/ATL/GSO and back. Originally booked on NW.com, now appears on Delta site (albeit still with NW carrier name and flight number). In the upgrade column of the Trip Details chart, I see I’m “Requested” on my Q ticket, but “Not Elligible” on my T ticket (for the planes large enough to have F cabins)...?

Granted, I’m just Gold, but still...not eligible? Do I take this to mean that Gold Medallions are not eligible for pre-flight upgrades unless they pay for pricier tickets?

Sorry if I sound testy. Just got off the phone with a Delta employee who seemed hell bent on reading a script, not actually listening to the question.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by PaperQueen

If you purchase a more expensive ticket, you get on the waiting list for upgrades. If you purchase a less expensive ticket, you don’t get on the wait list until every other alternative has been exhausted?

I just looked at an upcoming flight MSP/ATL/GSO and back. Originally booked on NW.com, now appears on Delta site (albeit still with NW carrier name and flight number). In the upgrade column of the Trip Details chart, I see I’m “Requested” on my Q ticket, but “Not Elligible” on my T ticket (for the planes large enough to have F cabins)...?

Granted, I’m just Gold, but still...not eligible? Do I take this to mean that Gold Medallions are not eligible for pre-flight upgrades unless they pay for pricier tickets?

Sorry if I sound testy. Just got off the phone with a Delta employee who seemed hell bent on reading a script, not actually listening to the question.
Delta.com will not show upgrade status correctly for NW-operated flights. This has been an issue since the integration has started and has been discussed frequently. Your upgrade is still eligible and will be processed by NWA "normally". Delta.com will only show "Upgrade requested" for DL-coded flights - even if they are purchased on nwa.com.

Don't panic.

Secreatsea18 - your flight has six open seats up front but zero are available for upgrades. It's odd you can't see your waitlist position on delta.com but you have to be fully checked-in to see it. With six open seats I'd say your chances of a gate upgrade are pretty good. Also, some people have reported getting upgrades on Delta after they check-in so you may get that as well.

-RM
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PaperQueen

You don't have it right. Sorry.

Look at the aircraft from ATL-GSO. Currently, they fly RJs with no F cabin. An upgrade would be impossible for anyone at any fare class.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Don't panic.

Secreatsea18 - your flight has six open seats up front but zero are available for upgrades. It's odd you can't see your waitlist position on delta.com but you have to be fully checked-in to see it. With six open seats I'd say your chances of a gate upgrade are pretty good. Also, some people have reported getting upgrades on Delta after they check-in so you may get that as well.

-RM
Thanks, RobOnLI.
I know about the NW and DL flights not showing up on the other websites. This is the first time since becoming PE 3 yrs ago, that I have not gotten the UG in advance -- except on DL last December with my flight getting a MX and missing my connections... but that was when the PEs were put to the bottom of the DL UG lists.
The thing is I HAVE fully checked in online, where would one look on delta.com to see the upgrade list? The PE line even said they could not see the standby list either.... Will hope to get a seat upfront by wheels up time!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by keeton
You don't have it right. Sorry.

Look at the aircraft from ATL-GSO. Currently, they fly RJs with no F cabin. An upgrade would be impossible for anyone at any fare class.
Correct, thus my original comment “for the planes large enough to have F cabins,” which excludes the ATL/GSO legs.

I’m simply perplexed since all flights were booked on NWA.com, all had NWA flight numbers (until after ticketing confirmation, at which time the Delta numbers appear), and all were paid for at once. Just seemed quite odd that one of the two upgradable legs shows “requested” and the other didn’t...only difference between them is the fare class.

Oh well...consistency has never been one of Delta’s strong suits (still waiting to find out what is).
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
ATL

For me, NW Plat, I've only been EUA about 30% of the time when traveling through ATL with about 50% upgrade success. I've also been as high as #34 on the upgrade as plat there.

While elite passenger load vary from flight to flight, it might be possible you are booked on elite heavy flights.....

As for SEA-DTW, I'm about 50-50 as plat on non-redeye flights. Success rate is higher for the redeye flight.

Jiburi
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:15 am

Why haven't I Cleard for 1st Class?

I am Platinum level. I have a trip this coming Thursday morning from Phl --> Atl --> LAS. The ticket I hold is a coach fare (V,L,U,U). The first leg of the trip (Phl --> ATL) has cleared for first class. The second leg (L fare), however, has not. There are at least six (6) open seats in 1st class (I know this b/c my wife is already in 1st class so I can see the seating chart). There were the same number open of open seats in 1st class for the last 10 days so none cleared when we reached that 5-day window in which Platinum members are supposed to clear. This tells me that there were 0 seats eligible to be used for upgrade for Platinum customers when they hit their window. I have never seen this happen. I know I may still clear, but this is outrageous that there was not a single seat eligible for automatic Platinum upgrades.

Anyone have any insight here? Am I missing something?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:18 am

The seat map is not an accurate reflection of how many seats are actually available.

People may have been upgraded but may not have a seat assigned.

Additionally, available First Class seats does not mean that there are available seats for upgrade.

Without more details (what date/time) your flight is, I cant provide any more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.