Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by zman
How do u know some of theses are not sold, with no seats assigned?
The new DL now holds lot's of seats back for gate lottery.
Is it a NW coded flight. I was told by a CSR today that NW has changed their upgrade policy and is holding back more seats.

My flight this thursday MSP-LGA has 7 open seats and she told me that none will be released before at the gate.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:19 am

SEA-JFK has a very high number of international connections on that 6:15am flight along with a very heavy medallion load (usually). If there is no "X" inventory available, there is no advanced upgrade.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I recently had JFK-SEA hold back all seats. Front cabin was entirely empty until 4 days before departure when two seats were taken (presume sold as X remained zero the whole time). No one got the advanced upgrade and it was 14/16 open 1 hour before departure. I wound up #1 on the list and the gate agent upgraded me when I inquired about the upgrade - she didn't even wait until 30 minutes prior. I was able to enjoy the JFK SkyClub for 30 minutes

Point to the OP is that DL holds back a lot or all of FC seats for sale or misconnects or any other reason on big routes like JFK to the west coast and back. You should have no problem clearing with that many seats open this far out.

-RM
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting... I just cleared for my 1:30pm flight on Sun at the 5 day point before I can check in... so it actually cleared me 6 days before the departure time. It is a NWA operated, booked through DL website and with a DL flight number. Strangely enough DL also shows no seat assigned, but NW website shows me with seats.
Not that I'm complaining one bit about the upgrade
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Please.

If you are within the window and there is upgrade inventory available, the agent absolutely should upgrade the passenger.

Granted, the automated system should run at the correct window time, and when inventory becomes available, anyone on the list waiting for it that is within the window should be upgraded. But to deny an agent the authority/ability to process the upgrade when the inventory is sitting there is inappropriate.
I will see your please and raise you a ...

What you say is true for the DL system...

However, the flight in question was a NW flight, and the NW upgrade system does NOT run as soon as R inventory is released. Therefore, giving DL agents (who are used to the DL system) the ability to manually upgrade passengers on NW flights (which are still running the NW EUA process) undermines the automated system, and possibly pushes someone who was supposed to get upgraded out of the F cabin.

I stand by my statement that it annoys me and that DL agents should not be able to manually process upgrades on a NW operated flight.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting... I just cleared for my 1:30pm flight on Sun at the 5 day point before I can check in... so it actually cleared me 6 days before the departure time. It is a NWA operated, booked through DL website and with a DL flight number. Strangely enough DL also shows no seat assigned, but NW website shows me with seats.
Not that I'm complaining one bit about the upgrade
This is normal for NWA. The first round of EUA typically runs for PE upgrades 6 days prior to departure. If R seats are available at that time, some PEs are upgraded.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by GaryDD
Yes it is, I am no longer clearing at the 5, 3 or 1 day window for ALL my flights when I ALWAYS cleared at the 5 day window before Oct 1. The agent on the phone said they are now hoding more seats back than they did before. So it will be more and more waiting at the gate which is a pain because half the time they call boarding before clearing them
It may be a pain, but the fact that the agent is telling you that it's occurring because they are holding more seats back indicates that there is nothing wrong with the system.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:54 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I have flights this Saturday morning that have not yet cleared, however, there isV available. It has been a while since I have been Gold and maybe am confusing the "3 Days." Should I wait until tomorrow (Thursday) to call, or should I call now?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
CALL

I suggest calling. I had this issue yesterday. I had to buy a ticket yesterday for a flight on Thurs. When booking the flight on DELTA.COM was told that upgrade was available (q fare), chose first class seats, then ticketed in coach. Call SMS and agent was confused. She put me on hold for 5 or 10 minutes, then came back apologizing that the website is still acting up with upgrades and that another agent (can't remember what department) had just forced the upgrade that should have been automatic.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:53 am

Is it DL operated, or NW operated?

Originally Posted by TTT
I have flights this Saturday morning that have not yet cleared, however, there isV available. It has been a while since I have been Gold and maybe am confusing the "3 Days." Should I wait until tomorrow (Thursday) to call, or should I call now?
Is this a NW operated flight?
If so, you should be looking for R (not V), and you should not call...
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:19 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Is this a NW operated flight?
If so, you should be looking for R (not V), and you should not call...
DL.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
DL.
Ok, then I have no idea what's going on.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL PM (not for long)
Originally Posted by GBadger
I will see your please and raise you a ...

What you say is true for the DL system...

However, the flight in question was a NW flight, and the NW upgrade system does NOT run as soon as R inventory is released. Therefore, giving DL agents (who are used to the DL system) the ability to manually upgrade passengers on NW flights (which are still running the NW EUA process) undermines the automated system, and possibly pushes someone who was supposed to get upgraded out of the F cabin.

I stand by my statement that it annoys me and that DL agents should not be able to manually process upgrades on a NW operated flight.
Totally. I was also outside the 5 day window. I shouldn't have been upgraded at that point in time (looking at the seat maps 5/3/1 days out, I would have gotten the EUA anyway). I'm not, however, going to ask to be put in coach when it does happen.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:00 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called and they were able to push the upgrade through. The rep didn't offer an explanation though.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TTT
Called and they were able to push the upgrade through. The rep didn't offer an explanation though.
Seems like this issue is DL metal only? NW EUA's working for all DL and NW elite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.