Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:18 pm

Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten My Upgrade Already?

Hi

foreword:
This is not a "complaint", especially as I have been upgraded on the major flight and the flight where I have not been upgraded is only 50 minutes, and also because I love DL/NW. This is more of a question, which I think has been previously addressed, but I cant find it.

question :

Anyways, I haven't been upgraded yet on a short flight. It is 1 day before departure. But delta.com is showing the upgrade as "available" if I were to purchase an "H" fare.

It is a NW operated flight. My actual purchased ticket is a "Q" fare.

Why is the upgrade showing as available on delta.com when I havent been upgraded yet?

Is this just a technical glitch or has the EUA not run yet?

thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
This has happened to me several times and the explanation I have gotten from DL is that they do not release all first seats for upgrade. I guess in an attempt to sell them before the flight? Depending on your status if the seats are still available before takeoff you should receive your upgrade at the gate. Good luck!

I know if you do a search on upgrades not clearing you will probably get a more technical explanation... Here is a related thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...1st-class.html
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:22 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dollerman73
This has happened to me several times and the explanation I have gotten from DL is that they do not release all first seats for upgrade.
While that is certainly true, if the upgrade is available then the upgrade is available (i.e., "V" inventory is available) and hence it should process for someone on the list.

I have no idea why it didn't happen.

I think I would call and ask someone to manually process it.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
While that is certainly true, if the upgrade is available then the upgrade is available (i.e., "V" inventory is available) and hence it should process for someone on the list.

Good advice, OP should definitely call.

I have had this occur on occasion, and a call to Delta gets it corrected.

David
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
NW will hold back EUA, to leave seats avialable for sale. Either that, or the the next EUA run will fill the cabin, and leave people in that Elite level un-upgraded. So someone has to say "this Silver wins and this Silver looses".

You'll probably get a BF.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:22 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

I thought they stopped manually upgrading EUA's over the phone a LONG time ago, the reason being that if a SE, for example, calls and gets it done manually, there could be others ahead of him/her that are entitled to it thereby leaving it for a gate upgrade in the correct pecking order.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
The link to the other thread is irrelavant....this original poster stated that the upgrade showed "available" as if purchasing a new ticket...(like a dummy ticket with the free cancel period till midnight the next day)...so this has been happening to me....i am a platinum and was less than five days out and upgrade has not cleared but showing "available"...the first time i called the agent said my ticket was a T and upgrades are showing for new tickets purchased in H and that could be the reason....my flight that was hung up was FLL-ATL...i was continuing to CAE on a CRJ...so to convince the agent I was right... I bought a dummy ticket in T... FLL-ATL-MCI since FLL-ATL-CAE was only avail in H and five minutes after purchase..the FLL-ATL cleared on the dummy ticket...so they agent contacted advanced tech support ??? but they could not figure it out so they put me in Y and it upgraded...the only thing we all could come up with is the ticket had been bought a long time ago and has several reissues due to schedule changes and there could have been some coding preNWA combining of the programs that was throwing that ticket off...
you need a V class over ride or a change to Y-up to solve the issue for now...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup definitely call... if you can book a ticket now and it shows as 'available' then there is inventory and your upgrade should be processed.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM
I think it is more likely that they hold the seats back for last minute passenger bumps/oversold on other fights, not so much the hope of a last minute business class passenger booking the flight. I agree that as the other posters have stated, if those seats are available at boarding, the upgrade will happen then.

As a personal example where this may have happened, Mrs rcbart and I were recently flying MSP-DTW-JFK with only a 30 minute layover in DTW. We arrived at the airport an hour before departure and on checking in was told the DTW flight was delayed and so we had been upgraded to first on a direct MSP-JFK flight. At the gate, the gate agent made an announcement that first class had checked in full. Given that we were not even on that flight an hour prior and the standby list was 15+ people, it would seem that NW had to have held those seats. Of course a revenue passenger could have bought those seats as well but hoping a revenue passenger (ers) will appear an hour before the flight seems like wishful thinking.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

V is discount coach on NWA operated....the OP should be looking for R
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by robnsfla
the only thing we all could come up with is the ticket had been bought a long time ago and has several reissues due to schedule changes and there could have been some coding preNWA combining of the programs that was throwing that ticket off...
you need a V class over ride or a change to Y-up to solve the issue for now...
Reissues can definitely trip you up, as well as the DL-coded, NW-operated problem. The trick is getting an agent to take you seriously and work to override whatever is preventing the upgrade.

That said, there does seem to be something funky about the EUA runs. I'm on a MSP-SNA flight in a few days and the flight has had R3 availability since yesterday but no upgrades have happened. I know my reservation is OK because I have already been upgraded on my flight into MSP.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
On NW flights, it used to be (don't know what's new now that DL has taken the reigns) that there could be a period of time in between the release of "R" seats and the next EUA run. This would result in a period of time where upgrades were "Available" but the automated upgrade process had not yet distributed them.

When this happens within 24 hours of departure was thought to be the time that silvers could sneak in ahead of plats/golds by going through the check-in process and answering "yes" to the "Would you like a complimentary upgrade" question.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rylan
Yup definitely call... if you can book a ticket now and it shows as 'available' then there is inventory and your upgrade should be processed.
My experience is that a call will be a good waste of the OP's time!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by dollerman73
My experience is that a call will be a good waste of the OP's time!
I disagree in this particular case. If online it is showing "available", then the OP should have gotten the advanced upgrade. It's that simple.

OP, call Delta and ask them to process your upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So I guess it is still a problem with getting upgrades to process on DL ticketed/numbered flights operated by NW? Noticed that the OP is likely in this situation. I also may be in the same situation in a couple weeks, since my outgoing leg of a trip is NW op but DL ticketed/numbered. I thought this issue was supposed to be fixed already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.