Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Complimentary Upgrade Available But Not Clearing: Shouldn't I Have Gotten It Already?

Old Oct 4, 09, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=CarolDisney1;12513608]Perhaps you should try looking around here before posting?

Sorry, but your orginal post showed that somehow you got to Platinum without a clue of the system. Being plat does not automatically get you an upgrade. The seats are allocated and if Delta thinks someone will PAY for them they those of us (like you and I) on the L,U, T fares will be getting what we paid for.... coach seats. There's nothing "outrageous" about it, it's called making money. Those who pay more get more. One of the basic rules of life. You want a luxury car, you don't buy a $3,000 model and hope for an upgrade. You want a first class seat on popular cross country routes. Don't buy the lowest fare. (I do buy the lowest fare since my employer requires it and sit in the back a lot on cross country )

I pretty much always buy the lowest fare and only missed one UG in several years. Just got back from a day in BOS and I was up front both legs out LAX-DTW-BOS and back the same route. Total fare was $245.00 RT. Friday and Sunday are tough days for that route too and I have not missed one. I think for Plat and Diamond fare class will be less of an issue for the next year or so. It gets more important during a good economy. I also think the fact that it is so rare to sit in the back gives people the entitlement syndrome. I know I will not say a word when I do eventually miss one....NW/DL been berry berry good to me.
Old Oct 4, 09, 3:17 pm

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
Wow. That was edifying. I apologize for asking such a silly question. Boy do I feel like a fool....

Back to my diet coke and fries....

In the meantime, can someone tell me what the scoop is about this new Diamond Level class I heard some rumblings about. I currently have 115K MQMs and will likely finish the year at 140K or so. Will this make me eligible? What new perks will I receive? Will this help me with free upgrades on L class coach tix next year.

Be sure to answer immediately, I need to know before go buy another LED TV to watch the NFL ticket.....Thanks mates.
I'm sorry but I have to ask; How did you get 115K MQM's and how will you get to 140K? BIS or credit card? or how?

And yes diamond will help AS LONG AS THERE IS upgrade inventory.
Old Oct 4, 09, 3:28 pm

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
I love that DL holds seats as I normally will buy a ticket only a couple of days before my flight so I can buy a higher fare class and either get the upgrade at time of booking or will be higher on the upgrade list then people like the OP who are in a lower fare bracket.
Old Oct 4, 09, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
[QUOTE=avidflyer;12515298]
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
Perhaps you should try looking around here before posting?

Sorry, but your orginal post showed that somehow you got to Platinum without a clue of the system. Being plat does not automatically get you an upgrade. The seats are allocated and if Delta thinks someone will PAY for them they those of us (like you and I) on the L,U, T fares will be getting what we paid for.... coach seats. There's nothing "outrageous" about it, it's called making money. Those who pay more get more. One of the basic rules of life. You want a luxury car, you don't buy a $3,000 model and hope for an upgrade. You want a first class seat on popular cross country routes. Don't buy the lowest fare. (I do buy the lowest fare since my employer requires it and sit in the back a lot on cross country )

I pretty much always buy the lowest fare and only missed one UG in several years. Just got back from a day in BOS and I was up front both legs out LAX-DTW-BOS and back the same route. Total fare was $245.00 RT. Friday and Sunday are tough days for that route too and I have not missed one. I think for Plat and Diamond fare class will be less of an issue for the next year or so. It gets more important during a good economy. I also think the fact that it is so rare to sit in the back gives people the entitlement syndrome. I know I will not say a word when I do eventually miss one....NW/DL been berry berry good to me.
Perhaps the OP had such good upgrade success at the x-day window that he did not realize that sometimes one does not get an upgrade when there are seats for sale. One could reach PM not knowing how the UG lottery works because the winners rarely bother to inquire about the rules.

I will echo avidflyer, Delta been berry berry good to me. (see my signature)
Old Oct 4, 09, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, SC, AA Plat, AC, Hilton Diamond
I apologize for my ignorance here, but I don't know what this (V=0; x=0) means. Also, the only flight I am concerned about is the one I provided details on. I suspect those are other ATL--> LV flights on the same day. Not sure how other flights come into play.

Also, where did you get the V=0, X=0 info?

Thanks again.
Ivanl3,

Sorry for the abbreviations. V bucket is where the first class upgrades come from. Any number greater than zero when your window to clear hits (PM -platinum 5 days, GM - gold 3 days, ,FO-Silver 1 day) and upgrades clear until V=0. The last flight lists the front cabin as domestic business, and that is the X bucket.

I use Expertflyer to get the information.
Old Oct 4, 09, 7:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Wow. That was edifying. I apologize for asking such a silly question. Boy do I feel like a fool....
Back to my diet coke and fries....
In the meantime, can someone tell me what the scoop is about this new Diamond Level class I heard some rumblings about. I currently have 115K MQMs and will likely finish the year at 140K or so. Will this make me eligible? What new perks will I receive? Will this help me with free upgrades on L class coach tix next year.
Be sure to answer immediately, I need to know before go buy another LED TV to watch the NFL ticket.....Thanks mates.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-4th-tier.html
or
heaven forbid, Delta.com
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_skymiles/index.jsp
and in more details
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...es_program.jsp

I have to agree with avidflyer that Dl has been good to me once I got the hang of it. I have even been upgraded 1 min before doors close from an award ticket!
Old Oct 4, 09, 7:48 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Nice... but when on NW I was upgraded 6 days before the door closed, on an award ticket, I'll have lots to figure out on DL.

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
I have even been upgraded 1 min before doors close from an award ticket!
Old Oct 4, 09, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
It's been said before, and this thread warrants repeating it: people shouldn't be allowed to post until they have already have some minimum of posts.
Old Oct 4, 09, 11:00 pm

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles View Post
It's been said before, and this thread warrants repeating it: people shouldn't be allowed to post until they have already have some minimum of posts.
Or how about any member clicking the post reply button before reading typed reply J/K

What I think you were trying to type is no new member should have new thread posting permission until they have reached a min number of posts.

Since your stated above rule would make it so they could never post..
Old Oct 6, 09, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Angust View Post
Has anyone else experienced a delay in the complimentary upgrades clearing? I am currently NW Gold and within 27 hrs of the first flight, my 4th and 6th segment's have already been upgraded. The other segments 1,2,3,5,7 and 8 have not. Checking one ways between segments for booking into F has many openings.

Maybe we have to wait for the merger dust to settle...anything the "hot lines" can do?
I seem to be having a new glitch on a NW-metal ticket booked on nwa.com.

Mrs. Watchful is a brand new silver medallion - and we split the reservations so each would be eligible for upgrades separately. (Done several days before upgrades would run.)

As it turns out her seat was upgraded but mine has not. Rather odd...NW upgrades usually go through rather predictably for me.

I called the elite line # and she said my status clearly shows, so she did not know why this happened.

I will do online checkin this afternoon and see if the upgrade goes through at that time.
Old Oct 6, 09, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Delta.com will not show upgrade status correctly for NW-operated flights. This has been an issue since the integration has started and has been discussed frequently. Your upgrade is still eligible and will be processed by NWA "normally". Delta.com will only show "Upgrade requested" for DL-coded flights - even if they are purchased on nwa.com.

Don't panic.

Secreatsea18 - your flight has six open seats up front but zero are available for upgrades. It's odd you can't see your waitlist position on delta.com but you have to be fully checked-in to see it. With six open seats I'd say your chances of a gate upgrade are pretty good. Also, some people have reported getting upgrades on Delta after they check-in so you may get that as well.

-RM
Indeed:

Dear AvidFlyer:

We are pleased to confirm that you have been upgraded to First Class on flight NW 688 from Los Angeles, California to Detroit, Michigan on October 2.

Your First Class upgrade was applied after you checked in, therefore we encourage you to obtain a new boarding pass. You may print a new boarding pass at nwa.com, at an airport Self-service Check-in Kiosk, or with an agent.

Flight: NW 688
To: Detroit, Michigan
Departure Date: October 2, 2009

First Class Upgrade Status: Confirmed after Check-in

Seat: 03D (Seat changes may be available at nwa.com.)

Your complete reservation and flight details are available at nwa.com.

You have received this message because you are subscribed to My NWA Info services from Northwest Airlines. To change your notification preferences or to unsubscribe, please visit nwa.com.
Old Oct 6, 09, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PaperQueen View Post
Correct, thus my original comment “for the planes large enough to have F cabins,” which excludes the ATL/GSO legs.

I’m simply perplexed since all flights were booked on NWA.com, all had NWA flight numbers (until after ticketing confirmation, at which time the Delta numbers appear), and all were paid for at once. Just seemed quite odd that one of the two upgradable legs shows “requested” and the other didn’t...only difference between them is the fare class.

Oh well...consistency has never been one of Delta’s strong suits (still waiting to find out what is).
What's weird about this? Revenue are holding back those F seats on the not-upgraded legs, and it will go down to battlefield. You may get upgraded, you may not. The same thing could happen on an NW ticket in 2008...what am I missing?

If you take your flights and F has spare seats, THEN I'd be complaining...but pre-flight?
Old Oct 12, 09, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I seem to be having a new glitch on a NW-metal ticket booked on nwa.com.

Mrs. Watchful is a brand new silver medallion - and we split the reservations so each would be eligible for upgrades separately. (Done several days before upgrades would run.)

As it turns out her seat was upgraded but mine has not. Rather odd...NW upgrades usually go through rather predictably for me.

I called the elite line # and she said my status clearly shows, so she did not know why this happened.

I will do online checkin this afternoon and see if the upgrade goes through at that time.
I was able to get the upgrade at checkin, as it turns out.

Coming home, the same thing happened. Mrs. Watchful received her upgrade as a silver, and I did not as a gold. Again, I was able to receive an upgrade at checkin.

My gold status shows correctly when I look at the itinerary - so I am not sure why the upgrade sweep missed me. Anyone else having similar issues with upgrades. Again this was all NW metal - originally booked as a NW gold - reservations recently separated from Mrs. W's - first flight since the Oct. 1 merger.
Old Oct 14, 09, 8:11 pm

Good news everybody, I cleared and got first class the entire trip!!!!!!
Old Oct 14, 09, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
if you don't realize the world is now a "path of least resistance" place and have not learned to embrace it, you are wholly outdated. It is not the 1950's and more. Come on SFO777 you are not that out of touch are you?

Last edited by dickinson; Oct 14, 09 at 8:27 pm Reason: never mind

Search this Thread
Search Engine: