Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embraer 175 Carry-On Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Embraer 175 Carry-On Policy

I was waiting to board a Compass Embraer 175 this evening in MSP when the gate agent announced over the PA, "This is a tiny plane, so we're going to have to check many of your bags to your final destination." (His emphasis.)

At the boarding door, a second gate agent flagged down about a third of the people with roll-aboards and told them that they had to check them. As near as I can tell, she was selecting bags that, in her estimate, wouldn't fit into the bins wheels-first. (She said my roll-aboard was "too tall.") I didn't see any bags that wouldn't have fit into the bins sideways--that's how I've previously placed mine on the 175.

I should emphasize that the GA was pleasant about the whole thing and the passengers were reasonably compliant, but the experience struck me as strange. We left with a lot of empty bin space.

Is this a Delta policy or just an aggressive GA? Secondly, if gate checks are the norm with the 175, why can't they place the bags in the jetway on arrival, as they do with other RJs? That's a much better experience than risking baggage loss/misconnects and having to wait at bag claim on arrival.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor
I was waiting to board a Compass Embraer 175 this evening in MSP when the gate agent announced over the PA, "This is a tiny plane, so we're going to have to check many of your bags to your final destination." (His emphasis.)

At the boarding door, a second gate agent flagged down about a third of the people with roll-aboards and told them that they had to check them. As near as I can tell, she was selecting bags that, in her estimate, wouldn't fit into the bins wheels-first. (She said my roll-aboard was "too tall.") I didn't see any bags that wouldn't have fit into the bins sideways--that's how I've previously placed mine on the 175.

I should emphasize that the GA was pleasant about the whole thing and the passengers were reasonably compliant, but the experience struck me as strange. We left with a lot of empty bin space.

Is this a Delta policy or just an aggressive GA? Secondly, if gate checks are the norm with the 175, why can't they place the bags in the jetway on arrival, as they do with other RJs? That's a much better experience than risking baggage loss/misconnects and having to wait at bag claim on arrival.

Gate checks come back to you on the jet bridge at destination not baggage claim...so this must be an odd situation. Never happened to me.

How full was the flight? While one side of the plane can take a 22" roll-aboard it is only ones side. I do not think it is as much if it will fit as it is will they all fit. If they just let it fill up it takes forever for pax to swim upstream to gate check.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Gate checks come back to you on the jet bridge at destination not baggage claim...so this must be an odd situation.
The GA announced several times that the bags wouldn't be delivered plane-side on arrival and the bag tags she used were not the normal gate-check tags...

How full was the flight?
The flight was pretty full, and the overhead bins were pretty empty.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:07 pm

Embraer 175 overheads can accommodate standard 22×14x9 roll-aboard cases.

You were, uh, apparently misled.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've never had this happen. I don't get why the GA would check this bags through when gate check accomplishes the same thing.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Embraer 175 overheads can accommodate standard 22×14x9 roll-aboard cases.

You were, uh, apparently misled.
They do but only on one side correct?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:36 pm

They do but only on one side correct?
No...in economy it is 2x2 seating and both sides have the same sized over head bins...

I personally have fit my roller into those bins without a problem....
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, ICH Plat
Gate checks come back to you on the jet bridge at destination not baggage claim...so this must be an odd situation. Never happened to me.
One of the reasons I am so careful with my bag is that this isn't always the case. In RDU, they go to baggage claim, because there are no contiung flights and they assume you are going to exit the airport. Luckily ATL-RDU is a big jet (except 5:30pm flight)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by PhillyInvestor

I know that Shuttle America's written policy states that there is NO pink-tag system in place for their E175 flights....I guess it's the same for Compass. We normally let customers fill the bins and "green tag" the overflow to their final destination.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Burj
No...in economy it is 2x2 seating and both sides have the same sized over head bins...

I personally have fit my roller into those bins without a problem....
Hmmm...I walked on board an E175 the other day and it seems to me that, walking down the aisle, the bins on the left side are smaller.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The E175 bins in coach can take full-size roll-aboards, but not very many of them as they must go in lengthwise. To me, it seems the GA acknowledged this and tried to get people to check bags rather than waiting for the inevitable 'no space for my bag' declarations.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The E175 bins in coach can take full-size roll-aboards, but not very many of them as they must go in lengthwise. To me, it seems the GA acknowledged this and tried to get people to check bags rather than waiting for the inevitable 'no space for my bag' declarations.
That may be why I remember one side. I have never been in coach on that ac. Someone tell me I am not losing my mind: In FC anyway the left side bins are tiny and can barely take a laptop. It is that or I am thinking of the CRJ900.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
In FC anyway the left side bins are tiny and can barely take a laptop. It is that or I am thinking of the CRJ900.
Both aircraft have similar sized bins in FC.

David
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
That may be why I remember one side. I have never been in coach on that ac. Someone tell me I am not losing my mind: In FC anyway the left side bins are tiny and can barely take a laptop. It is that or I am thinking of the CRJ900.
Your own post beat me to my reply that YES, the CRJ900 has the small bins on one side and the normal ones on the other.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Hmmm...I walked on board an E175 the other day and it seems to me that, walking down the aisle, the bins on the left side are smaller.
Couldn't find any Delta cabin pictures...but did find these NWA E170/175 pictures

http://www.airliners.net/photo/NWA-A...094c59e3e4ca5b

http://www.airliners.net/photo/NWA-A...094c59e3e4ca5b

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.