767 International Fleet seating update

Old Oct 19, 09, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
767 International Fleet seating update

Several people have asked me for more information about the seating in the International 767 fleet, so I went to the source and here is the current update:

The plan is to equip the entire 767-300 fleet with flat Bed BE seating, and updated seating in coach, but at this point a final decision for the entire 767-300 fleet seating has not yet been made. Hopefully that will be finalized in the next few weeks.

The current priorities regarding the fleet seating are as follows:

• The remaining 14 767-400ER V1.0 (76C's) into the flat bed BE configuration
  • The 767-400ER V2.0 (76D's) and 12+ hour 767-300ER (76T's) into flat bed BE configuration.
  • Delta is working on AVOD and new Weber slim-line seats in coach for 767-300ER fleet for 12+ hour flights starting next month and it should be completed by May 2010.

I will get an update on the rest of the international fleet as soon as a decision has been made - hopefully in the next few weeks. I know many of you have more questions, and more details will be coming soon, but I got the go ahead to share this update with you now.

Final note, Delta realizes that improvements need to made to the Vantage seats in BE on the 76D's (767-400 Flat Bed), especially regarding the tray table. They have been working with the manufacturer and designer to get these done as quickly as possible, ideally before next summer.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 19, 09, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by atldlff View Post
Final note, Delta realizes that improvements need to made to the Vantage seats in BE on the 76D's (767-400 Flat Bed), especially regarding the tray table. They have been working with the manufacturer and designer to get these done as quickly as possible, ideally before next summer.
That is a heck of a long time to find a fix when they found the problem the first week of flying with these seats. Any word on the reliability of these seats as DL did fly with a flight mechanic for the first month or so?
Old Oct 19, 09, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Will the slim line seats be used to cram in more rows? Or to improve seat pitch and comfort?
Old Oct 19, 09, 6:55 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Do you have any information about the refitting of the 777-200ER fleet used for long haul flights for the flat bed seating????
Old Oct 19, 09, 9:22 pm

I am curious what this means:
12+ hour 767-300ER (76T's)
Does this mean that any 767-300ERs on routes under 12+ hours wont get upgraded seats?
Old Oct 19, 09, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
I am curious what this means:

Does this mean that any 767-300ERs on routes under 12+ hours wont get upgraded seats?
And if it does, how many 767-300ER routes are 12+ hours?
Old Oct 20, 09, 5:01 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I was so excited when DL first announced these flat bed seats. Because my flights are always 10+ hours, I thought that I'd be seeing these seats soon (by now). Now, I feel like I will be dead before the lie-flat seats will be on the planes on the routes I take.

It's always nice to dream.... Oh wait, I can't because I can't sleep in the uncomfortable seats on the plane.
Old Oct 20, 09, 6:57 am
Moderator, Delta SkyMiles & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer View Post
And if it does, how many 767-300ER routes are 12+ hours?
Somebody will correct me - it's FT - but I think that's a short list. Twelve hours is pretty much total range of the 767-300ER.
Old Oct 20, 09, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
There is a subset of the 763ER ships that is configured with crew rests, winglets, & GE engines (better SFC over PW) for the longest of the 763 trips like JFK-AMM, TLV, CAI. They are ships 1607-1613, a total of 7 ships. These will likely be first to get the mods, but I wouldn't be surprised to see other 763ER's getting the same mods eventually, it just makes sense to deploy them on the longest routes first.
Old Oct 20, 09, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
Funny that there was no mention of the 777ER modification plans.
Old Oct 20, 09, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by flyinglots View Post
Funny that there was no mention of the 777ER modification plans.
As the title of the thread states, this update was in regards to the 767 fleet.
Old Oct 20, 09, 8:14 am
Moderator, Delta SkyMiles & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WidgetHead View Post
There is a subset of the 763ER ships that is configured with crew rests, winglets, & GE engines (better SFC over PW) for the longest of the 763 trips like JFK-AMM, TLV, CAI. They are ships 1607-1613, a total of 7 ships. These will likely be first to get the mods, but I wouldn't be surprised to see other 763ER's getting the same mods eventually, it just makes sense to deploy them on the longest routes first.
To add further context:

JFK-TLV 5677 miles 11:05 eastbound, 12:50 westbound in November schedules

JFK-CAI 5614 miles 10:55 eastbound, 12:45 westbound

JFK-AMM 5738 miles 11:15 eastbound, 13:00 westbound

It would be great if DL followed CO's example and announced specific timetables for completion by aircraft type, although even that would not preclude the hundreds of threads to come 'Will my flight have flat seats?'
Old Oct 20, 09, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
That is a heck of a long time to find a fix when they found the problem the first week of flying with these seats. Any word on the reliability of these seats as DL did fly with a flight mechanic for the first month or so?
Agreed. I believe they have trained the FA on these flight to handle the tray table issues, and now have work arounds for the others. My understanding is that the solution/correction is in the final development stages, they just need to begin deploying it, which will take a lot less time than the original re-fit of the entire cabin.

Originally Posted by doglover View Post
Will the slim line seats be used to cram in more rows? Or to improve seat pitch and comfort?
I don't believe the seats are being used to add additional rows. It is a lighter, next generation coach seat, and will allow for AVOD in coach which is an improvement.

Originally Posted by secretsea18 View Post
Do you have any information about the refitting of the 777-200ER fleet used for long haul flights for the flat bed seating????
Good question, I specifically asked about the 767 fleet, but I can certainly ask about the 777ER fleet as a follow-up. I have to believe that the 777ER fleet upgrades are being planned as most of those flights are the longer flights. Stay tuned and I will let you know what I find out.

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
No, the 12+ hour flights are the first priority and plans are underway to upgrade those aircraft now.

As noted:

Originally Posted by atldlff View Post
The plan is to equip the entire 767-300 fleet with flat Bed BE seating, and updated seating in coach, but at this point a final decision for the entire 767-300 fleet seating has not yet been made. Hopefully that will be finalized in the next few weeks.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Somebody will correct me - it's FT - but I think that's a short list. Twelve hours is pretty much total range of the 767-300ER.
Correct, it is a small subset of the entire 767-300ER flights/fleet, that are getting the priority upgrades. The good news is that eventually it will be the entire 767 International fleet.

Originally Posted by WidgetHead View Post
Thank you for the additional clarification.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
FYI there may be a small up-tick in overall seating capacity pending cabin reconfigs.

one thought is to move FA crew rest under-deck similar to 76D a/c.
Old Oct 20, 09, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2 Million Miler, United Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY View Post
FYI there may be a small up-tick in overall seating capacity pending cabin reconfigs.

one thought is to move FA crew rest under-deck similar to 76D a/c.
How do they reach the under-deck? Stairway, ladder, or elevator? Isnt there a "ladder" used to reach the 777LR crew rest area?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: