FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DELTA Airlines - Stolen Personal Items out of bags (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1003351-delta-airlines-stolen-personal-items-out-bags.html)

anthonmuller Oct 7, 2009 9:08 am

DELTA Airlines - Stolen Personal Items out of bags

I WAS ON A FLIGHT FROM JOHANNESBURG TO ATLANTA ON:
Flight Number : DL201
Date : 2009/07/28

During this flight numerous items were stolen out of my bag. I registered this claim on the 4 August 09 according to the website and Delta Call Centre. According to Delta website and callcentre i was told it takes 8 weeks. Well i called and emailed the support services as my claim is now over 10 weeks!!! and the callcentre emailed me that they will take their time!!! Oh My in this day can a airline do this. I fly 6/7 times a year between JHB and ATL and this is the service i get!!!!!! I would like Richard Anderson to look into this!!!

I must sit without my items and the airline takes their time!!! That is world class customer service. American Airlines can learn from British and European Airlines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAYflier Oct 7, 2009 9:14 am

Who was it that said you only get five exclamation marks to use your entire life?

What was it that was stolen? Is there a claim you can file with your credit card, i.e., Amex?

I've had stuff turn up missing, but if anyone took it, it's more likely to be the security people rather than the baggage handlers.

MachOne Oct 7, 2009 9:30 am

I make it a policy to never put anything other than clothing in my checked luggage. Never any electronics, never any jewelry, never souvenirs, never anything of sentimental value.

If a thief wants my dirty underwear :eek:, can of deodorant, hair brush, razor; they can have them. While it may be annoying and a minor inconvenience, the items are easily replaced.

So what exactly was stolen?

MO

paseom2 Oct 7, 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by anthonmuller (Post 12555165)
I must sit without my items and the airline takes their time!!! That is world class customer service. American Airlines can learn from British and European Airlines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's be clear, "American airlines" have something to learn from British and European airlines. Your beef is with DL, not AA.

waltinsocal Oct 7, 2009 11:40 am

Originally Posted by anthonmuller (Post 12556965)
Who said claim on your credit card?? Have you ever heard about airline liability.?? That's why 90% of USA banks are bankrupt.. Follow the process. I did not fly in my credit card!

And for the one with dirty underwear. I travel with clean and expensive clothes!not like you.

There are many people here who would like to help you, and give you sound advice. Do you want that, or would you rather rant? (By the way, I would guess that most of us here have clean clothes, and bathe regularly as well.)

DLroads Oct 7, 2009 11:55 am

[QUOTE=anthonmuller;12555165]I WAS ON A FLIGHT FROM JOHANNESBURG TO ATLANTA ON:
Flight Number : DL201
Date : 2009/07/28

I must sit without my items and the airline takes their time!!! That QUOTE]

Hi,

We all want to help. You are (sadly) not the only one waiting way-too-long sometimes for DL's response.

Questions:
(a) Have you documented the content of the suitcase?
(b) have you sent reminders?
(c) Have you submitted a complaint at the regular channels (delta.com) and reminders?
(d) Have you filed 2 complaints with the DOT (one for the loss/stolen baggage, and one for the lack of response?) each of them should generate enough action and request for clarification from DL that can get things going
(e) If you have a blog, have you posted an open letter to DL (in polite language) describing your experience and the reason(s) you'll make sure that non of your friends was use the specific route until you get explanations?
(f) If you paid baggage fees, have you contacted the CC company and requested payment holding? You can't believe how fast can those $15 make people in DL look into things.
(g) Have you filed a complaint with the authorities in SA (through the airport's website?)

Everyone here wants to help. But, you need to give us more information so we can brainstrom the ideas with you. And, please be considerate of the fellow's good will.

Anyway, you can also try a short and polite email to
DELTA AIR LINES

Ms. Beth Reed
General Manager, Customer Care
P.O. Box 20980
Atlanta, GA 30320-2980
(404) 715-1402
www.delta.com

(Downloaded the contact info from the department of transportaion)

DAYflier Oct 7, 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by anthonmuller (Post 12556965)
Who said claim on your credit card?? Have you ever heard about airline liability.?? That's why 90% of USA banks are bankrupt.. Follow the process. I did not fly in my credit card!

Hey!!! Premium Baggage Protection is a benefit that I pay a $20 premium for with each ticket I book on my American Express. You might want to consider picking one up since you fly with clean and expensive clothes.

Me personally, well, I'm happy with just wearing a barrel with suspenders.

https://www152.americanexpress.com/f...age/product.do

thesaints Oct 7, 2009 3:08 pm

Very likely your baggage poachers are based in Jo'burg...

3Cforme Oct 7, 2009 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints (Post 12560435)
Very likely your baggage poachers are based in Jo'burg...

Now, now: there's plenty of well-documented baggage theft that goes on in U.S. airports. If DL was the last carrier of the passenger to the ticketed destination, DL is on the hook for whatever occurred along the way. It's also been noted that airlines take eight-twelve weeks to pay out (properly documented and filed) claims.

Just wait until the OP sees DL's take on depreciated value, rather than purchase cost, and omitting entirely the items that weren't supposed to be in checked luggage in the first place. He's going to have another screaming fit.

GUWonder Oct 7, 2009 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 12561743)
Now, now: there's plenty of well-documented baggage theft that goes on in U.S. airports. If DL was the last carrier of the passenger to the tickteted destination, DL is on the hook for whatever occurred along the way. It's also been noted that airlines take eight-twelve weeks to pay out (properly documented and filed) claims.

Just wait until the OP sees DL's take on depreciated value, rather than purchase cost, and omitting entirely the items that weren't supposed to be in checked luggage in the first place. He's going to have another screaming fit.

Fortunately for the OP, this kind of travel is covered by the Montreal Convention which means that DL is on the hook for up to 1000 SDR (i.e. over c. $1500). "Depreciated value" might not spare DL a penny from liability up to that amount. And DL denying liability for "items that weren't supposed to be in checked luggage in the first place" would involve DL violating the Montreal Convention, which is law in the US applicable to this flight.

GUWonder Oct 7, 2009 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by JSFox (Post 12563335)
Uh, I don't think any US carrier is worse than BA, Air France (non-KLM side), or Iberia when it comes to lost, late, or damaged luggage. If I remember right Iberia also has massively higher stolen property claims than any US Carrier.

Perhaps, but aren't DL flights amongst the worst in terms of percentage of US airlines' passengers who have a bag lost, stolen or delayed on a trip?