Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
not for soda but $1 per adult beverage.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rown-room.html

An "exhaustive" review of tipping in the club!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:47 am

I see a few folks saying YES I tip for alcohol but not for non-alcohol.

Are there fewer units of work for serving non-alcohol?

I am wondering about the logic involved in this method.

I don't like tipping, but tip every other drink...bowing to social pressure I reckon. I prefer self-serve for several reasons (no line, no trying to vie for someone's attention, pour as I like, no need tip for something I'd rather do myself and of which I've already remitted payment, etc.).
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Former NW worldclubs member, so nope. Why would I pay for something that used to be free (in addition to waiting for it).
I do not understand how this makes sense.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Yaatri
If you are paying for the membership, tipping should be voluntary, not recommended.
It's comforting to know that I am alone. I sill feel like a scrooge for not tipping. But I really don;t want to.
tipping is voluntary. ;D

i usually tip, but don't be embarrassed if you don't. no one really gives a f'. :P
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I do not understand how this makes sense.
All NW Worldclubs had self-service bars.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Charter DM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Choice Privileges Diamond, Sky Club, Starbucks Charter Gold
I tip $1 a drink regardless of type. I also tip during the Manager's reception at Embassy Suites.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
All NW Worldclubs had self-service bars.
I realize that... just trying to understand how that is justification for not tipping a bartender...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Yes, $1-2 per drink or $5 for a round of drinks if there's more than 2 of us.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, $1 a drink. I have a few rolls of dollar coins from the US Mint and find them ideal for drink tips, skyclub or not - I keep a few in my laptop bag or pocket and find them to be ideal since I don't have to fiddle with my wallet as part of the process.

I get the ex-Worldclub attitude toward it and partially share that perspective, but I'm totally cool with tipping in the SkyClub... I've enjoyed getting to know the SkyClub folks in my home airport; they've taken the time to do everything from give me excellent destination advice for wherever I'm heading to offering and bringing me a second drink when things are slow in the club, and the least I can do is thank them for their hospitality above and beyond Delta's already relatively high SkyClub service standards. (Say what you will about the cheese - the people are pretty universally excellent in the clubs, JFK once again excepted.)

Of course, I'm also a fan of the Alaska model where tips are specifically allocated to their employees' charity - seems like a nice balance where you can still thank helpful employees without feeling obligated. I still attempt to tip as much as possible in Alaska clubs since it's for a good cause.

Frankly, the people who most deserve the tips are the desk agents who fix tickets. But I'm not comfortable tipping there because it would look too much like a bribe.. (then again, that never seems to stop people from 'tipping' front desk attendants in Vegas.... hmm)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Supposedly, DL SC will go to all self serve, except where local laws don't allow this.

Personally, I do not tip unless I've been very impressed by the service. Why? I pay membership dues. I don't feel the need to pay again.

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
1 alcoholic beverage=$1

My general rule (OK, if I pick up the drinks for few together, might be lower, but this is the general...)

One exception- There is a lady at the SC (con. E) of ATL that makes the best and excactly right level of spicy bloody mary, 3 olives. A real textbook outcome.
So, she gets 2 dollars, and has great sense of humor about travelers jokes. For those two, she gets an exception. We told her many times she should just open a small bar near the airport, and we would extend our connections ^
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davescj
Supposedly, DL SC will go to all self serve, except where local laws don't allow this.

Personally, I do not tip unless I've been very impressed by the service. Why? I pay membership dues. I don't feel the need to pay again.

Dave
DO you tip at a normal bar or eatery?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:01 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I realize that... just trying to understand how that is justification for not tipping a bartender...
I guess it's the same logic that allows one to tip $10 (or less) on a $100 meal because at one point that same meal only cost $50.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Carbon
Yes, $1 per drink. I always travel with a roll of small bills for tipping. There is much I do not appreciate about Delta corporate policies, but I neither blame nor punish the front line employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.