Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Do you tip at the Sky Club?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by DeltaDiamond
I think I'd rather have a bartender than a 1,000 different hands that have come from all over the world on the bottles.
I agree, same here. I usually tip a $1 for every adult beverage.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Same for me. If I don't have change, the bartenders can usually break a $10 or $20 bill pretty easily.

SAN is one club I was in recently where the agents double as the "bartenders", and I was told they don't accept tips.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Me too. I usually carry a roll of dollar coins when I travel. They come in handy for a lot of things and US Mint credit card purchases are the best deal out there.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by GMill
Me too. I usually carry a roll of dollar coins when I travel. They come in handy for a lot of things and US Mint credit card purchases are the best deal out there.
OK, what's the US Mint's credit card deal?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
So here's what I don't get. DL keeps downgrading the food choices in SkyClubs, presumably to save money. Yet they also keep paying people to serve drinks, even though I suspect that most members would prefer to pour their own. So why not save money by adopting the WC self-serve feature, and use some of the savings to upgrade the food choices?

I understand there may still be states with requirements for servers, so they would obviously be the exceptions.

I don't see a downside to this. Anybody?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
OK, what's the US Mint's credit card deal?

$1 coin for a $1 CC charge. The AMEX (or whatever) points are free.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Tipping

Greetings:

Yes, I always tip first round......a buck.....but, in what I consider my "home " club I do what I have always done in every bar that I wanted to build a relationship...I tip better and make an effort to build on it......
Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
So here's what I don't get. DL keeps downgrading the food choices in SkyClubs, presumably to save money. Yet they also keep paying people to serve drinks, even though I suspect that most members would prefer to pour their own. So why not save money by adopting the WC self-serve feature, and use some of the savings to upgrade the food choices?

I understand there may still be states with requirements for servers, so they would obviously be the exceptions.

I don't see a downside to this. Anybody?
I prefer to avoid the mess associated with food and I think the bartender provides a more "clublike" ambience.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfg05
The language is, more or less, "Serving you is our pleasure. Receiving gratuities is our privilege." This was at gate 10 SC at JFK.
Any time I see a sign hinting I should I dont tip.

MisterNice
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Any time I see a sign hinting I should I dont tip.

MisterNice
I've pretty much got to that point also...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skowse
I always tip if I get good service. In my last 14 visits to LAX SC I haven't.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I tip at all SkyClubs.

Except LAX.
I couldn't agree more. The bartenders at LAX are simply terrible.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I try to tip when I have actual cash on me (which is RARE).
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Me too.
ya me 2
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:02 pm

Another interesting philosophy:

Dwight Schrute: Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DeltaDiamond
If they are making $20-$40 an hour; wouldn't that be a full salary for most anybody? I don't think they make that much, but I have never asked. + I agree the DL lounge BTs would never make it as bartenders in a bar/restaurant world. But, then again, their work ethic may be driven by the low tip ratio. I know when I tip, they are always very, very gracious. If you will apply or already have either an AMEX PLAT or DL AMEX/RESERVE card, the DL clubs are comp.
Normally when Im standing in line at the bar, I watch $4-5 being tipped from 4-5 people during a five-minute period. So I just guessed that if that happened during the really busy periods that they could end up with at least $75+ in the tip jar per day.

Im actually friends with several of the SC bartenders in ATL and tip them more because they smile, remember my name, and are just generally nice. If they're negative or dont even look up, then I may only tip for every two drinks. Comparing it to a bar where people dont pay to get in (or may pay $5-10 cover tops) isnt fair since many people pay to be in the club (whether per visit or annually).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.