Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Warning, EQM/RDM's posting on/after 10/1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Was informed by the PE line today at any flights taken that will post on 10/1 or after will be DL's partner rules. Not sure how much this affects, but for sure it will affect my KLM flight in V class. No EQM/MDM on DL, but would have been on NW.

I know this was slightly posted in another thread, but I thought it would be worth it's own thread.

Keep in mind this was 1 PE agent I talked to, not sure if this will actually occur but an FYI - be warned.

DL
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Was informed by the PE line today at any flights taken that will post on 10/1 or after will be DL's partner rules. Not sure how much this affects, but for sure it will affect my KLM flight in V class. No EQM/MDM on DL, but would have been on NW.
Is this a temporary or a permanent situation??

Are they seriously going to take these miles away from those who booked their tickets with KLM flights before the Oct. 1 changeover date was announced?

If this change is permanent obviously I missed an important announcement. The permanent loss of KLM as a true partner (which to me means at least 100% eqms on all paid fares) is a big deal. If I flew more frequently to various cities in Europe served by KLM it would be enough by itself to cause me to leave Skyteam.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Are they seriously going to take these miles away from those who booked their tickets with KLM flights before the Oct. 1 changeover date was announced?
How can they easily tell when someone booked their ticket on a partner airline?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by bmchris
I don't think booking is the question, and they may have ways of course to verify which tickets were booked at nwa/delta.com and which weren't (which is why part of their fare guarantee requires booking directly with nwa/delta.com). What is at stake here is flight activity and statistics that post to the account on or after Oct 1 and if they can chose to not credit full miles for a KLM flight due to Delta's rules that will triumph over NWA's by the said date.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1st Class Only
Currently I am a WP SE and have 48,306 EQMs in WP account. Next trip is GFK-MSP-SEA r/t departing on 10/4, returning on 10/6. Wondering when/if my elite status will change.

My guesses are:

1) 10/1 BEFORE my departure. I am "Deltafied" via the WP/SM merger, Delta loses my EQMs, RDMs and account history and I am relegated to no status at all.

2) 10/6 prior to return I am changed to GE/GM, thus increasing my chances for an upgrade from "none" to "slim". This is based on the 1,895 EQMs for GFK-MSP (500) and MSP-SEA (1,395) putting me at 50,201 EQMs. I am assuming the my WP account will be updated the evening of 10/5 as I have seen in the past.

3) 10/7 after my return. This assumes that WP still exists.

4) 10/11 after my return. This assumes that my account has been "Deltafied" and any elite changes will occur after the weekly (Saturday?) update.

I am hoping for #2 but expecting #4. Your thoughts/guesses?

Why do I care? I also have a GFK-MSP-DEN r/t on 10/14. Hopefully the SEA trip will get posted before then.

Last edited by mesabadad; Sep 29, 2009 at 12:32 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
wow! just, wow! i want to see this in writing though before i really get my ire up. i cannot imagine how the MR-ers would feel if their already booked MRs would net them few to zero EQMs etc. *sigh*
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Not good. Thought this would happen so faxed in boarding passes from a few HA flights last week (which earn EQM on HA but not MQM). The flights posted with the "S" -- too soon to post status, so we'll see if they clear up by tomorrow or whether DL will take care of it after.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox

I know this was slightly posted in another thread, but I thought it would be worth it's own thread.

Keep in mind this was 1 PE agent I talked to, not sure if this will actually occur but an FYI - be warned.

DL
i booked a flight on KE on V fare (in August). it is eligible for EQM and RDM according to NW rule. i checked the fare basis before i booked. the flight will be in DEC/JAN. if i dont get both eqm and rdm, i will never fly DL again!

did they expect their NW elites to check the DL rules when booking partner flights? what a joke of the world's largest airline.

I called elite line, but was told i am safe. dont know who to trust.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
did they expect their NW elites to check the DL rules when booking partner flights?
You may want to check out this website - http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...pect/index.jsp

"In October, the Northwest Airlines® WorldPerks program will officially merge into the SkyMiles program. We want to keep you in the loop on the process and what to expect from October 2009 through early 2010.

The policies pertaining to Award Ticket ticketing time limit and the processing of mileage and Systemwide Upgrades will be based on the airline system that is issuing the ticket

All SkyMiles and WorldPerks program rules apply to program membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption and travel benefits, respectively. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/memberguide."

I'm not saying who's right or wrong - but just that in these situations, it can't hurt to have as much information as possible to reduce the risk of personal impact. I can't see any approach that would eliminate all risks - short of making up the rules as the VP of Delta Skymiles.

I for one have been VERY careful in my bookings. I've in fact chosen to use miles on an award ticket instead of purchasing a ticket due to this very reason.

Last edited by bmchris; Sep 29, 2009 at 2:52 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I called about V class L fares this morning and was told that all tickets bought before Oct 1 will be honored with the existing NW rules, therefore will receive mileage. I also received a message from NWA TTU which is below:

The program rules that will apply to your reservation are determined by which frequent flyer number you add to your reservation. If you add your WorldPerks number as the frequent flyer number to earn miles, WorldPerks program applies to your reservation. If you add your Delta SkyMiles number to your reservation, the terms of Delta SkyMiles will apply.

I believe that this information answers your questions about which frequent flyer number to add to your reservation.

Guess there is utter chaos even within the Plat desk. Not a good sign of things to come...

(I just bought a V class KL fare today...)
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion, AA Executive Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
I called about V class L fares this morning and was told that all tickets bought before Oct 1 will be honored with the existing NW rules, therefore will receive mileage. I also received a message from NWA TTU which is below:

The program rules that will apply to your reservation are determined by which frequent flyer number you add to your reservation. If you add your WorldPerks number as the frequent flyer number to earn miles, WorldPerks program applies to your reservation. If you add your Delta SkyMiles number to your reservation, the terms of Delta SkyMiles will apply.

I believe that this information answers your questions about which frequent flyer number to add to your reservation.

Guess there is utter chaos even within the Plat desk. Not a good sign of things to come...

(I just bought a V class KL fare today...)
On the other hand, by Oct 1, won't everyone have a Delta number given that the two programs will merge? In this case, Delta rules could very well apply. This message by the rep is very carefully worded and makes no reference of the Oct 1 integration date.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by bmchris
bmchris you can book klm flights on nwa.com - they had a very close relationship.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Is T class showing on an NWA.COM rez on a KL operated flt eligible for full mileage?

This and other threads have me worried. I have a transatlantic in T class with outbound on KL operated, NW codeshared flight. Does KL see T class as some other class in their rez system? Will I get 100% EQMs on this flight or not?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
bmchris you can book klm flights on nwa.com - they had a very close relationship.
Sorry if my original point isn't clear.

Worldperks cannot tell when a KLM or other partner ticket was purchased in all cases. For example if you used a travel agent for the purchase. There aren't the IT pieces in place to do that (I believe). But there are the IT pieces in place to track all travel and fare class for those partners. So when they put rules for tracking in place, they tend to key off the definitive and comprehensive information - which in this case would be flights and class.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by mike101
On the other hand, by Oct 1, won't everyone have a Delta number given that the two programs will merge? In this case, Delta rules could very well apply. This message by the rep is very carefully worded and makes no reference of the Oct 1 integration date.
my thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
This and other threads have me worried. I have a transatlantic in T class with outbound on KL operated, NW codeshared flight. Does KL see T class as some other class in their rez system? Will I get 100% EQMs on this flight or not?
i am wondering this as a family member has at TATL booked in Nov just to make Elite for the first time. this will majorily suck if those miles don't count. i just looked at the flights and they seem to be all KL numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.