Cuba for an American and Non American

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuba for an American and Non American

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by icedancer
Be aware that it's fairly easy to find "missing" periods of travel in your passport if customs wants to go searching for them. The fine right now for violation of the travel ban is $10,000 a pop. Since 2004, the Office of Foreign Asset Control has gone after 10x more people for illegal travel than prior to 2004. (5000+ fines levied per year vs. 500 per year prior).
Fixing the "missing" periods of travel is easy to perform. Check into a nice cheap hotel for the entire time you're in Cuba. "Encourage" the room service staff or front desk staff to charge something to the room everyday but always make sure the charge is different, short phone call, room service, something. When you return from your trip to Cuba, stop by the hotel, and check out.

When asked about receipts during your trip, you have proof.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
I have lots of American friends that travel to cuba via Canada. In cuba they dont stamp your passport and are very happy to have you there.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jptasker
Being a Canadian citizen I am legally entitled to visit Cuba. I now live in NYC but still maintain Canadian citizenship and passport - not an American citizen therefore making it possible to visit Cuba. I would assume that if YOU hold an Australian passport it would be ok for you to travel but if your husband holds an American passport it could be a problem.

Just make the flight up to YYZ (Toronto) which offers direct flights to Cuba. You will find it easier then flying US - Mexico - Cuba. Just my $ 0.02.

JP
One comment on this, even though it is old. It doesn't matter where you passport is from if you are a US Permanent Resident.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Really, Mvoight? I've heard that dual citizens of the USA & another country could safely use their non-US passport to go to Cuba & the US authorities were powerless because it was said travelers' right as citizens of the other country.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Brendan
Really, Mvoight? I've heard that dual citizens of the USA & another country could safely use their non-US passport to go to Cuba & the US authorities were powerless because it was said travelers' right as citizens of the other country.
I'm not sure what the deal is for permanent residents (people with "green cards"), but for dual nationals, it can definitely be a problem. The US has the principle that in front of their legal system, if you're an American citizen, you will be considered an American citizen, no matter how many other citizenships you may have. American dual nationals also will not have access to consular assistance from their other country of citizenship if they are accused of a crime.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
I have a US passport and am thinking of going to Cuba for a conference where I am presenting. That I understand, travel restrictions are tighter now than ever before.

Are there any things that I need to be worried about when I am booking this trip?

Any input/advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Icedancer
Actually, you should expect to get the biggest hassle travelling through Canada of just about anywhere. Other bad gateways are anywhere in Mexico, the Bahamas, and Jamaica. You'd be safest flying through Venezuela, as Cuba and Venezuela have very good diplomatic relations, and Venezuela won't sell it's airline passenger manifests to the US. All of the others do.

Be aware that it's fairly easy to find "missing" periods of travel in your passport if customs wants to go searching for them. The fine right now for violation of the travel ban is $10,000 a pop. Since 2004, the Office of Foreign Asset Control has gone after 10x more people for illegal travel than prior to 2004. (5000+ fines levied per year vs. 500 per year prior).

You should think things through carefully...
The very last thing I would ever want to get is American Citizienship. The tax burden is the second reason.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
The very last thing I would ever want to get is American Citizienship. The tax burden is the second reason.
what is the first reason?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jlr4travel
I have a US passport and am thinking of going to Cuba for a conference where I am presenting.
Assuming your conference is non-commercial in nature, you can probably receive a license to travel legally. I think that the US State Department should have the final say,

"Licenses are granted to the following categories of travelers and they are permitted to spend money for Cuban travel and to engage in other transactions directly incident to the purpose of their travel under a general license, without the need to obtain special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC):

* Journalists and supporting broadcasting or technical personnel (regularly employed in that capacity by a news reporting organization and traveling for journalistic activities)
* Official government travelers on official business.
* Members of international organizations of which the United States is also a member (traveling on official business).
* Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly related to research in their professional areas, provided that their research: 1) is of a noncommercial, academic nature; 2) comprises a full work schedule in Cuba; and 3) has a substantial likelihood of public dissemination.
* Full-time professionals whose travel transactions are directly related to attendance at professional meetings or conferences in Cuba organized by an international professional organization, institution, or association that regularly sponsors such meetings or conferences in other countries. An organization, institution, or association headquartered in the United States may not sponsor such a meeting or conference unless it has been specifically licensed to sponsor it. The purpose of the meeting or conference cannot be the promotion of tourism in Cuba or other commercial activities involving Cuba, or to foster production of any bio-technological products.
* Travelers who have received specific licenses from OFAC prior to going.
* Specific Licenses to Visit Immediate Family Members in Cuba"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.