Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Trump tightens travel options to Cuba

Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

The changes will restrict non-family travel to Cuba, which could impact both cruise and air travel that picked up after Obama opened up relations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...to-cuba-2019-4

https://thehill.com/latino/439360-tr...travel-to-cuba

Glad I went 2 months ago but sad I probably won't get to go back anytime soon.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:20 am

Nobody has done anything yet. No details have been announced. The wording of the announcement made is very vague.
No one knows how strictly the family category might be policed or if third country travel will be more carefully looked at.
Paid reservations before any detailed announcement may be honored. Hard to shut down a burgeoning flight and cruise industry overnight.
Go soon if you haven't been yet.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Nobody has done anything yet. No details have been announced. The wording of the announcement made is very vague.
No one knows how strictly the family category might be policed or if third country travel will be more carefully looked at.
Paid reservations before any detailed announcement may be honored. Hard to shut down a burgeoning flight and cruise industry overnight.
Go soon if you haven't been yet.
All very true. Nevertheless, the chilling effect of the administration's actions, or policies, on travel to Cuba by Americans is significant. Americans are thus directly affected, and the Cuban people suffer.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I would imagine the cruise and airline industries are lobbying furiously behind the scenes to delay the implementation of this for as long as possible. I've got a trip booked for November to run the marathon in Havana. I hope I get in under the wire.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I would imagine the cruise and airline industries are lobbying furiously behind the scenes to delay the implementation of this for as long as possible. I've got a trip booked for November to run the marathon in Havana. I hope I get in under the wire.
You'll be fine if you're already booked. Stay hydrated during the race, it will be hot and humid.
The cruise companies (and Sheraton) are favored by Trump, as they are huge contributors to the Republican party. It will be a hit to the airlines though. And the major suffering will be by the Cuban people, not their government.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:45 am

“This is a policy which is condemned to be defeated again,” Josefina Vidal, now Cuba’s ambassador to Canada, said in an interview Thursday at the Cuban Embassy in Ottawa. “They want Cuba to surrender. They want Cuba to abandon what Cuba is, to abandon its principles, and to submit Cuba again to the desires of the U.S. But that won’t happen.”
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:32 pm

Still nothing from the Treasury Department on what changes are coming and when they apply. Some in the travel industry are assuming that arrangements already in place will be "grandfathered" when new regulations come out, but no one really knows. How annoying.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:13 am

Still nothing from the Treasury Department on what changes are coming and when they apply. Some in the travel industry are assuming that arrangements already in place will be "grandfathered" when new regulations come out, but no one really knows. How annoying.
That's the most likely scenario. I would lock in travel now, just in case new regs are adopted, which isn't certain in any case.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
We are traveling next week. According to the State Dept, Treasury, and US Embassy in Cuba, there are still twelve categories of authorized travel and no indication of any changes coming.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Just announced https://www.apnews.com/67c721daee8143d4a2e6ee8c401bf215 changes go into affect tomorrow. Eliminates the People to People category.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for posting this, wrp96.

I've read a few articles on this latest news, but remain unclear on aspects of it. Namely, does it ban "Support for the Cuban People" travel? And is it still allowed for Americans to arrange individual travel (as opposed to group and cruise travel), as long as they fall within that category?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:38 pm

FAQ from the Treasury Department: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...a_faqs_new.pdf

Seems to me that not much will change for most travel. The people-to-people category will phase out with a grandfather clause allowing all previously-booked trips to proceed.

Otherwise, it’s the same “honor system” in which airlines ask you before you board the flight to Cuba if you’re in one of the 12 categories that qualify you for a general license (see link, above). You say yes, and you board the plane. No need to fly through Toronto or Mexico City.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks, dhuey. This is useful info.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:27 pm

Effective immediately, no more ex-USA cruise ship calls in Cuba. https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-shi...lings-changed/
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:38 pm

Effective immediately, no more ex-USA cruise ship calls in Cuba. https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-shi...lings-changed/
More hardship for the Cuban people.
MileageAddict and JDiver like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.