FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Location @MIA of Kiosk to buy Pink Cuba Tourist Card/Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1948676-location-mia-kiosk-buy-pink-cuba-tourist-card-visa.html)

burkesh Jan 2, 2019 8:05 am

Location @MIA of Kiosk to buy Pink Cuba Tourist Card/Visa

re-posting in a new thread

Good Morning

I am a Canadian flying AA from BOS to MIA then MIA to HAV , Canadian Passport this Saturday, Jan 5th. I was originally informed that Pink Tourist Card/Visa required for Cuba was available air side at or near the gate of departure. I have recently been advised by an AA employee that the Kiosk is located before Security, which is somewhat unreasonable for those on connecting flights. Can someone with accurate/recent knowledge advise if connecting Canadian passengers at MIA actually do have to exit from air side to buy visa/tourist card? If so, can you confirm the terminal # and the approx location of the Kiosk. I have only 1 hour to connect.

My passport is valid for 3 years, I have private health insurance with Manulife and have my Plastic health card, and have printed a blank claim form as additional confirmation, no checked baggage and will be carrying more than the minimum recommended daily cash requirement in CAD $ and have 2 non USA connect bank credit cards. My accommodations are pre paid.

burkesh Jan 2, 2019 12:24 pm

Also wondered if anyone can tell me if cigarettes and Liquor are expensive in Cuba(based on salaires)...I dont smoke but if they are expensive I could buy a carton at the duty free in MIA and give a pack) to taxi drivers who smoke as a bonus along with a little cash. Apparently can import 50 cigars, but dont think much use in that LOL. And 3L of Liquor?...is liquor expensive in Cuba? obviously my first time...I have no idea if the locals drink and smoke a lot..... I am very familiar with S America esp Colombia and in Medellin locals love to drink and smoke.

VidaNaPraia Jan 2, 2019 6:33 pm

The "kiosk" is a portable cart from CubaTravelServices that comes to the boarding gate for the HAV flight.(I fly BOS -MIA - HAV all the time.)
Health insurance comes in the price of your ticket from the U.S. and your boarding pass serves as proof if you ever need to use it. You may not even need to show or use your Canadian insurance.
Cubans usually drink rum, which is very cheap in Cuba. Maybe if you bring JW Blue to give away.......
Smokers often smoke cheap cigars.

YVR Cockroach Jan 5, 2019 6:49 pm

Don't bother with duty free from the U.S. Rum (Havana Club) is cheap in Cuba. You can buy all that in Cuba if you want, and also cigars/cigarillos (though the premium brands are still expensive) - prices are fixed at official outlets (road side souvenir stalls will sell the cigars for more!). First day we arrived in Cuba, we stayed in Matanzas (definitely not a tourist destination) and definitely off the beaten track where our CP was located. There was a kiosk right across the road that sold Havana Club. Bottle of what we bought was the same (in CUC) all through Cuba (went from Vinales all the way to Baracoa) and duty-free at airport in Holguin.

catcher1 Jan 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 30601798)
The "kiosk" is a portable cart from CubaTravelServices that comes to the boarding gate for the HAV flight.(I fly BOS -MIA - HAV all the time.)
Health insurance comes in the price of your ticket from the U.S. and your boarding pass serves as proof if you ever need to use it. You may not even need to show or use your Canadian insurance.
Cubans usually drink rum, which is very cheap in Cuba. Maybe if you bring JW Blue to give away.......
Smokers often smoke cheap cigars.

Bourbon is expensive in Cuba and highly appreciated.

burkesh Jan 14, 2019 5:20 am

Thank you for all your responses. My trip to Cuba went well. The Pink Cuba Visa purchase went smoothly( Kiosk by the Gate for all travellers)

Im still digesting my 3 days in Havana. I was not able to cook in the apartment I rented,as groceries of any kind were not available within walking distance. Line ups to buy food, turned out to be line ups to buy bread. No eggs, no milk no meat in the stores. I found out all Cubans have ration cards for staples such as milk, bread, rice and beans. When I did get to the front of the line for food, I ended up buying a bottle of Rum :) as there was not much else left. After 36 hours I found a couple of small restaurants in the older part of Havana that were clean and had a decent selection of food. After 3 days I left for 2 days at an All Inclusive in Varadero. The food was plentiful but not of particularly good quality, but by that point I did not care The Cubans I spoke to, told me that the last 90 days have been particularly difficult as they are no longer receiving any imports from the USA , and that the new government in Brazil has stopped trade with Cuba. They are very worried about the future. A very sad situation indeed.

I was quite surprised at how expensive things are in Cuba, even by N American standards. I am not sure I will go back, but time will tell.

VidaNaPraia Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by burkesh (Post 30652203)
The Cubans I spoke to, told me that the last 90 days have been particularly difficult as they are no longer receiving any imports from the USA , and that the new government in Brazil has stopped trade with Cuba. They are very worried about the future. A very sad situation indeed..

So lobby your Congress person and Senators to END THE EMBARGO !

burkesh Jan 14, 2019 6:36 am

I am a Canadian, otherwise I would do so.