FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   A Little Help with Trip to Cuba Please (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1929931-little-help-trip-cuba-please.html)

wordsew Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm

A Little Help with Trip to Cuba Please

Two women trying to plan a guided trip in early December... looking for itinerary suggestions and recommendations for guides for hire. We are already set with flights.

Thanks in advance for your replies

VidaNaPraia Sep 11, 2018 7:45 am

How long a trip? That info is needed to plan an itinerary. (Bear in mind that domestic travel within Cuba takes longer and is more difficult than you may expect. Do not try to be overly ambitious.)
Get yourself a good guidebook and decide what appeals to YOU.

specialized and general tours
photo guide, Havana, Ivanna Sarzik at [email protected]or 53 58080824.
walking tour guide: Analay Fernandez (walking tour): [email protected]; +53 5 538972
art tour Havana Sussette Martinez <[email protected]
music and more Radis..... [email protected]

other guides with vehicles:
Humberto Mesa (driver): [email protected]; +53 5 2944372
Jorge: [email protected]
Boris: [email protected]
Geikis: [email protected]
Ronel: [email protected]
Danay: [email protected]
Darien: [email protected]
Jose: [email protected]
Pototo: [email protected]
Claudia: [email protected]
Natalie: [email protected]
Jorge Milanes: [email protected] (011-53) 52419134
Jorge Gonzalaz Estrada on Facebook
Nosotros Cubaneamos (Juan Carlos)
Alejandro Rodruguez Bidondo ([email protected])
Darien Paetz . https://www.facebook.com/darien.p.rodriguez (Joel, driver)
Santiago <[email protected] (+53)76424580(Casa) +53 53833855 (Móvil)
Nosotros Cubaneamos

wordsew Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

WOW.... nice list
We are going for a week the beginning of Dec. Obviously we have not set our agenda yet. Just looking for suggestions on what people consider a must do for them when visiting.

Thanks

djjaguar64 Sep 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Which part of Cuba? Lets start with that. Usually you don't need a guide, you can do it all on your own.

VidaNaPraia Sep 14, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by wordsew (Post 30191983)
..... what people consider a must do for them when visiting.

What I might like and consider a must, you may not.
Get a good guidebook and decide for yourself.
If you decide to hire a private guide rather than wander on your own on foot and use taxis, inform the guide of your personal interests.
Also, Cuba is a place to be experienced at a pace leisurely enough to meet lots of Cubans, not one to rush around cramming the most sights into a limited time.

vfland63 Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

You have to visit Old Havana, Viñales and Varadero. You can plan all your trips by your own, but if you prefer a tour guide I recommend you Yoplan.com. Their tour guides are locals, so they explain you all about their culture and lifestyle and show you the best places to eat and party. I booked a classic car tour around Havana historical and cultural places with them and it was really great.

VidaNaPraia Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am

Originally Posted by vfland63 (Post 30203503)
...they .... show you the best places to eat and party......

...where they get a kickback later from the owners. LOL
Do your own homework.

Sebas Candia Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am

Usually traveling in December is pleasant for the weather, which could recommend is the page of Yoplan.com, you can find local guides and activities that might interest you. I used it when I travel in the 2016 and I loved it, I ended up being friends with several guides. I hope you enjoy your trip no matter what places in Cuba you go.

wordsew Sep 18, 2018 9:43 am

Is Havana, vinales and veradaro all doable in 7 days with roundtrip flight in/out of Havana????
And really good B & B, restaurant or attraction we should have on our itinerary????

VidaNaPraia Sep 18, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by wordsew (Post 30217214)
Is Havana, vinales and veradaro all doable in 7 days with roundtrip flight in/out of Havana????
And really good B & B, restaurant or attraction we should have on our itinerary????

Pick Havana and one of those (Vinales or Varadero). I'd probably choose Vinales for an overnight and go to the beach in Santa Maria (Playa del Este) just 20 minutes from Havana.
Get a guidebook for "attractions" but CUba is a place to experience at leisure, not rush around trying to cram in sights. These days I happen to like the guidebook "300 Reasons to Love Havana" for that city, with numbered "reasons" on maps by neighborhood. For restaurants, take a look at La Habana.com - Cuba's Digital Destination For lodging, try to actually support the Cuban people by using a Cuban based casa particular agency, rather than the big US based one.

wordsew Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm

thanks so much will definitely use your suggestions in our planning

djjaguar64 Sep 21, 2018 5:49 am

Whatever you do do not use airbnb as they are overpriced. A casa is about $30 per night. You don't really need a guide in Cuba. The tourist Bus from the Capitolio will bring you to the beach back and forth for 5 pesos. Bring some snacks and drinks as there are not that many food places around even if there is the food is not that great. Yes if its your first time you may be scammed by some Cubans, for example overcharging you. I went for a hair cut and most cubans pay 2 pesos and I got charged 7 pesos. So you see, even for someone like who has been going to Cuba since 2000 I got scammed.

Sebas Candia Sep 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by wordsew (Post 30217892)
thanks so much will definitely use your suggestions in our planning

Your Welcome and have a nice and safe trip.

joao_elportu Sep 24, 2018 5:15 pm

2 things you need to do in cuba:
-go to a salsa party
-spend at least 2 days in beautiful beaches

joao_elportu Sep 24, 2018 5:17 pm

also, as Sebas says, you can oo to the Yoplan page to find a local to show you the best cultural places