FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Review and feedback on my itinerary please (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1920800-review-feedback-my-itinerary-please.html)

MileageAddict Jul 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Review and feedback on my itinerary please

Flights booked for Cuba in February! I cashed in JetBlue points.

Just a skeletal plan right now but this is what I'm thinking. I'm planning to work with one of the independent planners at ViaHero.com to complete the necessary "Support of the Cuban People" itinerary. They also arrange hired drivers, make recommendations for casa particulars, dinner reservations, etc.

Sun DAY 1 – Arrive Santa Clara (SNU) early afternoon, hired driver to Trinidad (stay in Trinidad)

Mon DAY 2 – Trinidad (stay in Trinidad)

Tue DAY 3 – Hired driver to Havana (stay in Havana)

Wed DAY 4 – Havana (stay in Havana)

Thu DAY 5 – Hired driver to Vinales (stay in Vinales)

Fri DAY 6 – Vinales (stay in Vinales)

Sat DAY 7 - Breakfast then hired driver to HAV Airport for 3pm flight home

Should I consider Viazul instead of a hired driver(s)? I like to save money but not if it means a major hassle.
Any recommendations of exceptionally wonderful casa particulars?

THANKS!

catcher1 Jul 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict (Post 29992131)
Flights booked for Cuba in February! I cashed in JetBlue points.

Just a skeletal plan right now but this is what I'm thinking. I'm planning to work with one of the independent planners at ViaHero.com to complete the necessary "Support of the Cuban People" itinerary. They also arrange hired drivers, make recommendations for casa particulars, dinner reservations, etc.

Sun DAY 1 – Arrive Santa Clara (SNU) early afternoon, hired driver to Trinidad (stay in Trinidad)

Mon DAY 2 – Trinidad (stay in Trinidad)

Tue DAY 3 – Hired driver to Havana (stay in Havana)

Wed DAY 4 – Havana (stay in Havana)

Thu DAY 5 – Hired driver to Vinales (stay in Vinales)

Fri DAY 6 – Vinales (stay in Vinales)

Sat DAY 7 - Breakfast then hired driver to HAV Airport for 3pm flight home

Should I consider Viazul instead of a hired driver(s)? I like to save money but not if it means a major hassle.
Any recommendations of exceptionally wonderful casa particulars?

THANKS!

I have traveled extensively in Cuba since 2001, know the country well, and can offer this: Your plan looks OK. I would stop in Cienfuegos on your return from Trinidad to Havana. And make sure you leave early to the airport from Vinales. I would stay at the Los Jazmines hotel in Vinales, the setting and the views are surreal, you can gaze at the valley below for hours, from your room's balcony or the nice pool with a mojito or three. And dine at La Terraza, just 200 yards from Jazmines, jungly setting, outdoors, excellent lobster and other dishes. Go for a horseback ride through the countryside, stop at a tobacco farm on the ride. The hotel can set it up. Very tame horses. The Vinales valley is a dream, I'm thinking of getting a place there--if my wife approves.

vfland63 Jul 20, 2018 8:43 am

I would also make a stop in Cienfuegos!!

Los Jaminez hotel is great. It really has an amazing view of the place!!

If you need help with activities in Viñales or Havana city, check on Yoplan.com page. They have private day trips with very interesting activities. I took a private tour in a classic car around the most popular places in Havana and I spent a great time.

VidaNaPraia Jul 21, 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict (Post 29992131)
..... the necessary "Support of the Cuban People" itinerary.

Necessary for what? No one is checking up on what you're doing in Cuba, ever has, or likely ever will.

MileageAddict Aug 6, 2018 6:36 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 29997187)
Necessary for what? No one is checking up on what you're doing in Cuba, ever has, or likely ever will.

I completely understand/agree. However, I really don't mind playing along with the intent of the "Support for the Cuban People" purpose. I want to stay in casa particulars, I want to hire independently-owned taxis to get from place to place, and use locals for things like horseback rides, food tours, etc.

I figured that if I draft a basic Word document itinerary of the activities I want to do along with receipts, I've got myself covered in the very remote chance I am ever asked to show proof.

Sebas Candia Aug 7, 2018 6:19 am

Your itinerary seems very good and you have planned almost everything, the good thing is that you mentioned that you made a stop in Cienfuegos when you come from Trinidad. The doubt I have is how many days you spend in each city and the activities you do, not if you also need help with that.

joao_elportu Aug 15, 2018 8:43 pm

your itinerary looks good to me, very good places to meet in this short time