FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Cuba with baby (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1895752-cuba-baby.html)

TravelDoorsOut Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Cuba with baby

Hey all,

thinking of trip ideas for our first international trip with our 7month old. Was thinking that cuba would be very fun. Has anyone been to Cuba with babies? Is it baby friendly?

I know there has been lot's of debate on how to get there, would it be a problem in may? Trump era reversal of almost free travel by Obama seemed to put a damper on travel.

VidaNaPraia Feb 26, 2018 6:58 am

Havana has cobblestone streets and bad paving, as do many other places. Might be hard to use a stroller of any kind.
The heat and humidity in Cuba can be quite intense, even in May. Your baby might be uncomfortable and fussy if unused to this.
It also means a baby backpack carrier or front snugli might be uncomfortable for a parent.
Also, baby products (diapers, rash cream, milk/formula and food, etc) are most often not easy to find, so bring everything you might need for the baby.

Note: Trump has not reversed anything. ONE category of independent travel has been removed. That's it. The damper is in uninformed travelers' heads only.

joao_elportu Feb 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 29459996)
Havana has cobblestone streets and bad paving, as do many other places. Might be hard to use a stroller of any kind.
The heat and humidity in Cuba can be quite intense, even in May. Your baby might be uncomfortable and fussy if unused to this.
It also means a baby backpack carrier or front snugli might be uncomfortable for a parent.
Also, baby products (diapers, rash cream, milk/formula and food, etc) are most often not easy to find, so bring everything you might need for the baby.

Note: Trump has not reversed anything. ONE category of independent travel has been removed. That's it. The damper is in uninformed travelers' heads only.

Totally agree, if the baby is unused to the heat, will be very uncomfortable.
and is very important what he says about the baby products, there is almost impossible to find some important products in Cuba

eliendea May 8, 2018 6:43 am

Updates

Hi I was wondering if there are any news on this topic?

VidaNaPraia May 8, 2018 11:29 am

What kind of "news"?
There is no change in 3 months regarding baby products.
There is no change in 3 months regarding hot weather.
There is no change to any other factor for independent US travelers. Still possible, as it has been for years now, to visit independently using the "Support for the Cuban People" OFAC excuse to travel.
Cuba has a new figurehead, Miguel Díaz-Canel, in the old position of retiring President Raúl Castro, as of last month. Not much visible/tangible in Cuba has changed so far.

LondonElite May 8, 2018 11:34 am

One wonders how Cubans manage to raise children....how precious we have become.

VidaNaPraia May 8, 2018 5:49 pm

Do post some photos of you washing nasty dirty cloth diapers by hand in a bucket at the spigot in the courtyard 3 stories down, daily, because there aren't any "precious" disposables, along with that load of stained clothing from spilled drinks because of no "precious" sippy cups. Taking the time out of your already full day to hang all those clothes and diapers on a line. Then ironing those clothes with an iron from a 1940s Sear's catalog, in the extreme heat, after a long day at work for low pay, because yes, even in poor conditions you have pride. Cleaning the floors and the kid several times a day when the diapers leak, with no "precious" wipes for the kid or modern mop for the broken tile floor. And do tell us how you comforted an overheated baby with diaper rash (and no "precious" rash cream), who will not stop crying long enough to let others in the household sleep. How did you keep the child happy inside all day in the stifling humidity and heat so s/he would not get sunburned playing outside under the scorching sun with no "precious" protective sunblock cream? Or watch him/her constantly to keep from falling from the one beam left that connects your apartment to the rest of the falling-down building? Potty train a kid in an upper story apartment without running water? Haul the kid around in crowded, shared taxis with no seatbelts or carry him/her in one's arms over cobblestone streets that ruin strollers.
Precious? Precious? Only someone who never had to do much of this would call "precious" those who don't wish to give up the conveniences of modern child raising, instead of simply giving thanks we don't have to "manage" and can spend our time enjoying our kids while on vacation.
btw, did you row to Cuba, eschewing the "precious" airplane travel as well?

catcher1 May 9, 2018 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 29731682)
Do post some photos of you washing nasty dirty cloth diapers by hand in a bucket at the spigot in the courtyard 3 stories down, daily, because there aren't any "precious" disposables, along with that load of stained clothing from spilled drinks because of no "precious" sippy cups. Taking the time out of your already full day to hang all those clothes and diapers on a line. Then ironing those clothes with an iron from a 1940s Sear's catalog, in the extreme heat, after a long day at work for low pay, because yes, even in poor conditions you have pride. Cleaning the floors and the kid several times a day when the diapers leak, with no "precious" wipes for the kid or modern mop for the broken tile floor. And do tell us how you comforted an overheated baby with diaper rash (and no "precious" rash cream), who will not stop crying long enough to let others in the household sleep. How did you keep the child happy inside all day in the stifling humidity and heat so s/he would not get sunburned playing outside under the scorching sun with no "precious" protective sunblock cream? Or watch him/her constantly to keep from falling from the one beam left that connects your apartment to the rest of the falling-down building? Potty train a kid in an upper story apartment without running water? Haul the kid around in crowded, shared taxis with no seatbelts or carry him/her in one's arms over cobblestone streets that ruin strollers.
Precious? Precious? Only someone who never had to do much of this would call "precious" those who don't wish to give up the conveniences of modern child raising, instead of simply giving thanks we don't have to "manage" and can spend our time enjoying our kids while on vacation.
btw, did you row to Cuba, eschewing the "precious" airplane travel as well?

Well, he does call himself LondonElite.

gspurr May 9, 2018 7:46 pm

I've been to Cuba and a to number of other Caribbean destinations with our kids when they were babies (as well as South-East Asia). Cuba is really no different than anywhere else you might travel in the developing world when it comes to children. Bring everything you need with you and be careful not to drink the water. The medical care is very good in Cuba, the only issue might be some difficulty in obtaining medications.

vfland63 Jun 1, 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr (Post 29736499)
I've been to Cuba and a to number of other Caribbean destinations with our kids when they were babies (as well as South-East Asia). Cuba is really no different than anywhere else you might travel in the developing world when it comes to children. Bring everything you need with you and be careful not to drink the water. The medical care is very good in Cuba, the only issue might be some difficulty in obtaining medications.

That’s right. You can enjoy a family trip to Cuba; you only have to take everything you need with you, as some baby care items and medications are difficult to find around there. In fact, medical care is excellent, but I hope you won’t need it.

catcher1 Jun 1, 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by vfland63 (Post 29818950)
That’s right. You can enjoy a family trip to Cuba; you only have to take everything you need with you, as some baby care items and medications are difficult to find around there. In fact, medical care is excellent, but I hope you won’t need it.

On the medical care in Cuba. My wife fell in Havana (too much rum!), dislocated her shoulder and got a huge gash over her eye. Arrived at hospital, spent an entire day--surgery for the shoulder, 9 stitches on the cut, many visits by the doctor with me telling me of the progress, caring nurses. The cost? Zero, but for 13 CUCs for aftercare meds. I gave the doctor a 20 CUC tip, which he gladly accepted.

tdave19 Jun 2, 2018 7:49 pm

:D

Originally Posted by vfland63 (Post 29818950)

I agree with this, you just have to prepare yourself well for the occasion and have in mind several possible scenarios to know how to handle them should they occur. Obviously, it is better that nothing happens than planned.

marilau6 Oct 27, 2018 9:17 pm

There are good places to travel with babies and cuba isn't one of them principally due to the lack of necessary products for them

gspurr Oct 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by marilau6 (Post 30364061)
There are good places to travel with babies and cuba isn't one of them principally due to the lack of necessary products for them

This isn't useful at all unless you are going to provide examples.

LondonElite Oct 28, 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by marilau6 (Post 30364061)

Like what?