FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Is possible from US to cuba...? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1865679-possible-us-cuba.html)

kyeyoung Sep 7, 2017 9:32 am

Is possible from US to cuba...?

hi, i'm korean travler.

I planing to cuba trip.
from new york to havana, at october.
using Delta.

but after june, I heard that the confirmation of the reason for entering Cuba was strengthened.

I purchased tickets after June and I still wonder if I can check them P2P.

I heard that the new policy will be announced after 90 days. What is the current situation?

tell me to arrive safely in Cuba. thanks!

VidaNaPraia Sep 7, 2017 1:30 pm

No one knows or can anticipate the situation as it might be in October.
No one knows exactly when any new "guidelines" will be published.
Your arrangements were made after June 16, when DJT made his announcement about what he would like to have happen? It was only an announcement; as yet nothing new has been implemented.
The best you can do is to carry on under the old rules until new ones are published, reviewed and put into law.
The "Support for the Cuban People" category may serve you better than the "P2P" one which is sure to go away, unless "Support" is redefined or further defined under any new guidelines..

maverikbc Sep 7, 2017 2:39 pm

No such hassles if you enter from anywhere but USA (e.g. Canada, Mexico, etc).

If you are based in NY, consider flying from Montreal or Toronto.

djjaguar64 Sep 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by kyeyoung (Post 28788156)
hi, i'm korean travler.

I planing to cuba trip.
from new york to havana, at october.
using Delta.

but after june, I heard that the confirmation of the reason for entering Cuba was strengthened.

I purchased tickets after June and I still wonder if I can check them P2P.

I heard that the new policy will be announced after 90 days. What is the current situation?

tell me to arrive safely in Cuba. thanks!

Sorry since you are already in NYC fly with COPA from JFK to HAV its about $400.

MSPeconomist Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm

AFAIK the new rules, when they come, are for USA citizens. Assuming you have only a ROK passport, you would need to check whether any USA residency status you might have makes a difference.

Something else to consider is the likelihood that DL will cut back on service to Cuba when new rules are implemented. You should watch carefully for flight cancellations and/or schedule changes.

SJOGuy Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

The problem is that Delta cannot take someone of any nationality to Cuba as a leisure tourist. That passenger has to fit into one of the 12 permitted categories of travel, even if they are not a U.S. citizen. If that person doesn't, they need to travel on a non-U.S. airline via a third country to Cuba.

VidaNaPraia Sep 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28803712)
AFAIK the new rules, when they come, are for USA citizens. Assuming you have only a ROK passport, you would need to check whether any USA residency status you might have makes a difference.

WRONG. US laws apply to any person with any passport departing from a US airport or port.