Reload this Page >

Critique my Cuba plans..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Critique my Cuba plans..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

There's a GE discussion thread on this forum. Seems to be no problem entering the U.S..

And yes, you're right about products from Cuba for personal use.

If you buy "real" artwork (not those ubiquitous paintings of classic cars) make sure you get a certificate of export for the Cuban government on exit.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:51 am

A few more: Cubans with their smart phones at a Wifi hot spot set up by the government.Name:  DSCN0480.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  645.0 KB

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 29, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:43 pm

These kids have skates and soccer balls. Doesn't seem like they really need dollar store toys as "gifts".Name:  DSCN0419.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  654.8 KB

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Apr 29, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:44 pm

Name:  DSCN0418.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  793.2 KB
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

Name:  DSCN0417.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  550.6 KB
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:51 pm

These schoolgirls have nice backpacks, even Disney princess lunchbags, and good shoes.
Name:  DSCN0410.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  766.0 KB
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
These are the ones who have relatives in Miami and abroad.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Or are involved somehow in the tourist industry. But those who have some money are usually helping relatives or giving them work.

For example, my casa host in Havana currently has about 6 rooms in 3 properties, and is fixing up another with 4 rental rooms. He himself, a person who speaks several languages, takes the main care of the guests, arranging tours and transportation, staying/getting up to greet guests who arrive and leave at odd times of the day/night, giving sight-seeing advice, etc. He "employs" one relative to handle email booking inquiries. Another takes care of registering guests, and doing the bookkeeping and reports that the government requires. Another, who supports a handicapped son on her own, cooks breakfast in one property and does some cleaning/laundry afterwards. Another cooks breakfast at another property around the corner and takes care of that apartment (cleaning and laundry). A couple of others are helping to fix up the new apartment. He also help relatives in Santiago da Cuba, one of whom is now opening a casa particular for his own family to run. Etc. In this case, there are no relatives in Miami supplying investment money or hard-to-get items, just hard work and saving.

I understand that there are people who live solely on their tiny government salary.
However, those with more ability, and placed such that they can, are supplementing their income with work in the tourist sector, for example, a doctor who drives at night the taxi his father drives during the day when the doctor works his job at the hospital.
As in all cultures/countries, there are Cuban people who are smart and determined and capable and imaginative, and those who have less intelligence and/or drive and/or capacity and/or creativity.

But my point was to show that this common newbie US-er attitude that the island is still in the 1990s Special Period, an imagined scenario with most people starving and in rags, is not universally true.
And that one cannot comfortably simply wander down the street handing out candy and dollar store "gifts" to all and sundry in passing.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
These are the ones who have relatives in Miami and abroad.
Exactly. The term used by my Cuban family is "fe".

No, not "faith", but familia extranjera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.