Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Havana with Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:21 pm
RJ1

Adding another datapoint.

Returned from Havana to Miami a few days ago. No issues using GE whatsoever. The kiosk correctly linked to the AA flight I was on as well.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Flew in and out of JFK last month; no issues at all with GE even while carrying two red duty-free bags (full of Havana Club) with "CUBA" printed on the side.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I flew my own plane to Cuba and there was no GE at the GA customs building in Key West. It took about 5 minutes filling out the blue customs card. No questions and it was super easy. Best US customs experience in a long time.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I flew my own plane to Cuba and there was no GE at the GA customs building in Key West. It took about 5 minutes filling out the blue customs card. No questions and it was super easy. Best US customs experience in a long time.
You flew your own plane? Wow, that sounds awesome. What was your destination in Cuba?

Thanks for the post.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
You flew your own plane? Wow, that sounds awesome. What was your destination in Cuba?
Thanks for the post.
We flew from Reno to Key West (with several stops of course) in a Piper Dakota. After one night in Key West we flew to Cienfuegos (no fuel) where we were the only airplane at the entire airport. We stayed two days and then flew to Havana for two more days. Flying around there is a bit difficult since only Havana and Varadero have fuel for piston planes and they are 50 miles apart. Going to other cities requires careful fuel planning. Lots of people have to land in Haiti for fuel if they want to visit the east side of Cuba.

US regulations make it very difficult to park the airplane in Cuba for more than 7 days and since they count pieces of each day, we wanted to leave after 5 days in case we had any mechanical problem that prevented us from leaving immediately.

It was completely amazing. This was about a year ago. Parked on the ramp in Havana:

Upon leaving, the paperwork took maybe 2 hours and they searched our plane for stowaways (kinda funny since it is the size of a small car with no place to hide). Arriving at Key West, we taxied to customs and they just didn't care at all that we'd been in Cuba. All the rum and cigars stayed on the plane (we were under the legal limit) - they were not worried about it at all. I asked about GE and was told they don't have it at the GA customs but we were stamped out almost immediately. Very, very simple.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Apr 18, 2017 at 11:47 am
Old May 6, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
We flew from Reno to Key West (with several stops of course) in a Piper Dakota. After one night in Key West we flew to Cienfuegos (no fuel) where we were the only airplane at the entire airport. We stayed two days and then flew to Havana for two more days. Flying around there is a bit difficult since only Havana and Varadero have fuel for piston planes and they are 50 miles apart. Going to other cities requires careful fuel planning. Lots of people have to land in Haiti for fuel if they want to visit the east side of Cuba.

US regulations make it very difficult to park the airplane in Cuba for more than 7 days and since they count pieces of each day, we wanted to leave after 5 days in case we had any mechanical problem that prevented us from leaving immediately.

It was completely amazing. This was about a year ago. Parked on the ramp in Havana:

Upon leaving, the paperwork took maybe 2 hours and they searched our plane for stowaways (kinda funny since it is the size of a small car with no place to hide). Arriving at Key West, we taxied to customs and they just didn't care at all that we'd been in Cuba. All the rum and cigars stayed on the plane (we were under the legal limit) - they were not worried about it at all. I asked about GE and was told they don't have it at the GA customs but we were stamped out almost immediately. Very, very simple.
Thanks for the response. This whole adventure just sounds awesome. Would love to see a trip report, but we have veered off topic enough for this thread.
If you make it to southern NV send a pm and I would enjoy hearing the stories of the trip...
Old May 18, 2017, 8:00 pm

I realize this thread is a little dated by now, but just do add one more data point.

Came back from HAV an AS, nonstop into LAX a few weekends ago. I, and the friends I was with, all have GE.

We went to GE just like normal, with no delays or special handling, and were done with the immigration hall in a few minutes - barely had to break stride.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
I'll also add my recent data point- just came back a few days ago from HAV into MIA. Absolutely no issues (and no lines) was through all the checks in a matter of minutes. No checked bags though.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Anyone had GE terminated as a result of trips to Cuba? We are heading there next week to "Support the Cuban People." Excited about the trip!
Old May 30, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Anyone had GE terminated as a result of trips to Cuba? We are heading there next week to "Support the Cuban People." Excited about the trip!
I travel to Cuba a half dozen times a year and have never had a GE problem. And I return with 50-75 cigars and again, no problem.
JDiver and divrdrew like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Nope. I had to reinterview for requalification, and they admitted it was because my passport contained visas for Cuba (yes, sometimes they do - one young woman looked me in the eyes as she placed TWO exit visas in different pages of my passport ), Egypt, Jordan, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine. The interview lasted less than five minutes.

But I’d not think about traveling to Cuba “under the radar” with the most recent rules.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by JDiver
But I’d not think about traveling to Cuba “under the radar” with the most recent rules.
Do you mean go through Toronto or Mexico City? I don’t see why anyone would do that these days, given the availability of US flights and the “honor system” in which you self-certify your general license in one of the 12 categories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.