Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Future Travel to Cuba from USA

Old Nov 11, 16, 10:58 am
Original Poster

*This is not indented to be political, just questions based on the changing political situation.

So given the recent turn of events in the US election, what do you think the risk of going to Cuba in the future will be? I currently have tickets booked on Southwest for late January, but was holding off on paying for the Cuban VISA in the unlikely chance of Trump winning. It looks like it was a good idea to hedge my bets.

Still, do you think if nothing is reversed before I go they will start to audit everyone that did go? I plan on keeping a detailed log as required and follow the guidelines for approved travel. Still I don't want months of having to deal with Gestapo down the road either...

I am booked on Southwest (on points) so only taxes at stake. I wonder what would happen to everyone else on other airlines if the government bans flights overnight.
Old Nov 11, 16, 12:42 pm

It's all pure speculation. IMO he's a loose cannon that could do anything, or one thing one day and another the next. He's promised to get rid of all Obama's executive orders, which would include the one opening up travel to Cuba for individuals.
For "more informed" speculation, maybe join the discussion with a bunch of folks who spend a lot of time in Cuba, on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum. Their speculation is that whatever happens, OFAC will not get sufficiently more funding to show up on your doorstep demanding that proof you're supposed to keep for 5 years.
Old Nov 13, 16, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
There won't be any troubles or issues.... the most likely change would be the full opening of Cuba travel coinsiding with the opening of Trump Resort, Havana Varadero Cayo Coco etc
Old Nov 13, 16, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Donald may put an end to any future travel to Cuba from the U S of A.
Old Nov 13, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
As far as going in January, he has no time to change the current ability to go before then. You are fine for the trip, is my opinion.

Regarding beyond that - I know he said he would change it, but Obama did try things in place to make that hard to undue. Can it be? I am sure. Will Trump do it? I tend to have my doubts. Pure speculation.
Old Nov 14, 16, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Travel K View Post
As far as going in January, he has no time to change the current ability to go before then. You are fine for the trip, is my opinion.

Regarding beyond that - I know he said he would change it, but Obama did try things in place to make that hard to undue. Can it be? I am sure. Will Trump do it? I tend to have my doubts. Pure speculation.
Obama's changes vis--vis Cuba were by executive order. He issued many executive orders to get around Congress' block of his ideas. It only takes a pen stroke, a minute, to wipe them all out, as the new guy has promised to do. Will he? And when? That's the big unknown. Will he fund an OFAC check on those who have already traveled and officially must be ready to show proof of their itinerary for 5 years?
Old Nov 14, 16, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Obama's changes vis--vis Cuba were by executive order. He issued many executive orders to get around Congress' block of his ideas. It only takes a pen stroke, a minute, to wipe them all out, as the new guy has promised to do. Will he? And when? That's the big unknown. Will he fund an OFAC check on those who have already traveled and officially must be ready to show proof of their itinerary for 5 years?
If this mad man can grab cats he can do anything and get away with it, those are not my words, those are his, when he said he could shoot someone in NYC and no one would blink an eye. So he may as well stop all Cuba travel as the Cubans in Miami voted for him.
Old Nov 14, 16, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

So if he does not get around the canceling the executive order between inauguration and the end of January I should be fine to go at least. Extra funding for OFAC will have to go through congress and I doubt they will be motivated to give more money to a government agency. Either way I will keep proper records.

He has hundreds of executive orders he wants to cancel, who knows how high Cuba is on his list (I am picturing flipping on all the circuit breakers in the original Jurassic Park movie). On another thought, he could be kept pretty busy and away from any executive orders with the proper use of tweeting something at him.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: