FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   $100 limit on rum and cigars lifted (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1796487-100-limit-rum-cigars-lifted.html)

SJOGuy Oct 14, 2016 1:33 pm

$100 limit on rum and cigars lifted

The U.S. will lift the $100 limit on import of Cuban alcohol and tobacco beginning Oct. 17. Cuban rum and cigars will be subject to standard import duties, just like similar products from other countries. The products must be for personal consumption. They will not be available for sale in the U.S., and they cannot be ordered and shipped online.

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

JDiver Oct 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Wow!

Gary Leff also wrote about this. Link.

The Obama administration announced Friday it is eliminating a $100 limit on the value of Cuban rum and cigars that American travelers can bring back from the island.

…Cuban rum and cigars will now be subject to the same duties as alcohol and tobacco from other countries, meaning most travelers will be able to bring back as many as 100 cigars and several bottles of rum.

djjaguar64 Oct 17, 2016 9:03 am

Go Crazy you Americans!

Lost Oct 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Does this apply to buying in 3rd party countries? I have a Canada trip coming up and want to pick up a bottle of rum, but haven't found any solid info on it. The CBP website hasn't been updated last I checked.

klakhav Oct 18, 2016 5:58 am

This is great news. Now I have to find my way to Havana for a weekend for a 'shopping' trip - Cigars and rum!

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 27346913)
The U.S. will lift the $100 limit on import of Cuban alcohol and tobacco beginning Oct. 17. Cuban rum and cigars will be subject to standard import duties, just like similar products from other countries. The products must be for personal consumption. They will not be available for sale in the U.S., and they cannot be ordered and shipped online.

Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigars

Lost Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 27360031)
Does this apply to buying in 3rd party countries? I have a Canada trip coming up and want to pick up a bottle of rum, but haven't found any solid info on it. The CBP website hasn't been updated last I checked.

For anyone searching in the future CBP updated their website, and looks like the answer is yes

Originally Posted by CBP
OFAC is removing the monetary value limitations on what authorized travelers may import from Cuba into the United States as accompanied baggage. This includes the value limitation on alcohol and tobacco products. Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction will be further authorized to import Cuban-origin merchandise acquired in third countries into the United States as accompanied baggage, again without value limitations. OFAC is also removing the prohibition on foreign travelers importing Cuban-origin alcohol and tobacco products into the United States as accompanied baggage. In all cases, the Cuban-origin goods must be imported for personal use, and normal limits on duty and tax exemptions will apply.

CBP Public Notice on Process for Imports from Cuba