Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Travel TO the US from Cuba

Travel TO the US from Cuba

Old Nov 21, 16, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by AJCU View Post
Anyone traveled from Cuba to the US recently with any data points? Trying to do a Central America to Cuba to US itinerary (those Jetblue fares at 100 points +$40 are tempting), and would like to make this work.

Otherwise, roundtrip from Mexico it is!
A couple of weeks ago I flew Varadero-Miami one way on AA, having arrived in Cuba from elsewhere. I was travelling on an EU passport.

No problem with the airline.

The immigration lady at Varadero looked a bit puzzled and called her boss, who asked me if I lived in the US. Once it was established that I didn't, there was no problem. I suspect it may have been something to do with me having a green tourist card rather than a pink one.

No issues at Miami - used the automated machines (not global entry) and no questions asked.
Old Nov 21, 16, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by djkjam View Post
A couple of weeks ago I flew Varadero-Miami one way on AA, having arrived in Cuba from elsewhere. I was travelling on an EU passport.

No problem with the airline.

The immigration lady at Varadero looked a bit puzzled and called her boss, who asked me if I lived in the US. Once it was established that I didn't, there was no problem. I suspect it may have been something to do with me having a green tourist card rather than a pink one.

No issues at Miami - used the automated machines (not global entry) and no questions asked.
Not quite clear.

If a person who lived in the US (holder of US passport or other) also flew to Cuba from somewhere outside the US, that person would also have a green tourist card.

If any person flies into Cuba from a US airport, that person would have a pink tourist card, no matter what passport or residence.
Old Jan 18, 17, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
Thanks.

I will ask AA, which is the airline in question.

Though last time I asked them on their web-site, it took them 14 days to answer...
I'd be happy to know what came out of this. I'm thinking of flying on a direct flight from Europe to Cuba, then from Cuba to the US on AA and then from the US back to Europe.

HEL-HAV/MIA-HEL would be on one ticket and HAV-MIA would be a one way most likely on a separate ticket.

What I would like to know is if those 12 reasons apply to me in this case. I should assume they don't since all texts only mention travel from the US to Cuba, but I would be on no such flight, only flying from Cuba to the US. However, US immigration would know that I was in Cuba. I wonder if it's a problem for them.
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
What I would like to know is if those 12 reasons apply to me in this case. I should assume they don't since all texts only mention travel from the US to Cuba, but I would be on no such flight, only flying from Cuba to the US. However, US immigration would know that I was in Cuba. I wonder if it's a problem for them.
Yes, the "reasons" still apply. You were in Cuba. As a US passport holder, you can't be there without a legal reason, and any passport holder entering the US directly from Cuba also has to have a reason other than tourism.
Currently on entry to the US, there is no problem and only the most basic of questions about where you've been, before getting a big Welcome Home. All that could change after Friday of course.
There are various discussions of all of this on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum for Cuba, with contributions from folks, including US passport holders, who have been going to Cuba regularly for years.
Old Jan 18, 17, 2:20 pm

But I am not a US citizen, nor do I live in the US. I have a European passport and would only be visiting the US for a couple of days. I should have written that out in my previous post, sorry!
Old Jan 18, 17, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I flew MIA-HAV-MIA. Upon the return, no one asked anything except how much rum and how many cigars. There was absolutely NO checking of anything on the return. I don't know how this would apply to non US citizens, but it's a data point.
Old Jan 18, 17, 3:50 pm

But I am not a US citizen, nor do I live in the US. I have a European passport and would only be visiting the US for a couple of days. I should have written that out in my previous post, sorry!
Doesn't matter. The point is that you have been on Cuban soil, then entering the US, therefore subject to US law.
Old Feb 26, 18, 6:11 pm

I'd be happy to know what came out of this. I'm thinking of flying on a direct flight from Europe to Cuba, then from Cuba to the US on AA and then from the US back to Europe.

HEL-HAV/MIA-HEL would be on one ticket and HAV-MIA would be a one way most likely on a separate ticket.

Reporting back on my recent experience:

I had one ticket HEL-HAV/MIA-HEL and another for HAV-CLT-MSY (and a third for MSY-MIA). I have a Finnish passport (EU) and got my tourist card (visa) from the embassy in Finland.

Checking in for HAV-CLT at HAV T3, nobody asked anything. No forms to fill in, no reasons to pick, nada. AA was not at all interested in why I was in Cuba. Arriving at CLT, the immigration officer wanted to know how I flew to Cuba (told him direct HEL-HAV) but he didn't ask anything about my reasons for going there. Customs asked nothing at all.

So all in all very easy and painless.
Old Feb 26, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Reporting back on my recent experience:

I had one ticket HEL-HAV/MIA-HEL and another for HAV-CLT-MSY (and a third for MSY-MIA). I have a Finnish passport (EU) and got my tourist card (visa) from the embassy in Finland.

Checking in for HAV-CLT at HAV T3, nobody asked anything. No forms to fill in, no reasons to pick, nada. AA was not at all interested in why I was in Cuba. Arriving at CLT, the immigration officer wanted to know how I flew to Cuba (told him direct HEL-HAV) but he didn't ask anything about my reasons for going there. Customs asked nothing at all.

So all in all very easy and painless.
I fly to/from HAV often, and this has been my experience also. I usually just get a "welcome home." I use Global Entry BTW.

A tip: If you are connecting on your return, use CLT if you can--you'll be through very quickly and avoid the MIA crowds/delays.
Old Feb 27, 18, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
A tip: If you are connecting on your return, use CLT if you can--you'll be through very quickly and avoid the MIA crowds/delays.
When I have flown through CLT rather than Miami, there have been long delays in the airport (hours) to board the connecting flight home. Exhausting. Makes an endurance contest out of the trip. NEVER AGAIN.
Old Feb 27, 18, 1:49 pm

I made it from gate to gate in 26 minutes at CLT. Including immigration, customs and security. Amazing. Was able to catch an earlier flight to MSY.
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
My proposed itinerary is:

Ticket 1:

MXP - EWR - IAD on UA

open jaw

HAV - EWR - (23hr layover) - MXP

Ticket 2 (nested in the middle):

ORD - PTY - (22hr layover) - HAV

I am triple national, British, Irish and Australian and not US resident.

Based on previous research, it appears that my itinerary is legal and I can get a Cuban visa at PTY.

Should I have any reason for concerns on this itinerary?
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:35 pm

Legal to whom/what?

You need to have a way to enter the US, don't you? ESTA? Visa?
for Italy to USA (Newark/Dulles)

then
USA (Chicago) to Panama. You are flying US to Panama (*not Cuba) and changing planes.
Panama to Cuba You need a Cuban tourist card/visa, but this flight is not subject to US control. You will get a green tourist card in Panama and should not need to declare any OFAC reason for travel because you are not flying directly (non-stop) from a US airport.

Is this Chicago to Panama to Havana flight(s) cheaper than Chicago to Havana through Miami or some other US airport? Because if not, there is no reason not to fly direct from US to Cuba.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Thanks. Yes, the flight via Panama is cheaper (not much) than via MIA, IAH or NYC, but it offers a bonus 22-hour layover to see a little of a city I have never been to before.

My concern was any problems I might encounter with an open-jaw ticket into the USA and out of Cuba.
Old Jan 19, 19, 8:37 am

Again, problems with whom?
You have a ticket out of the US to show, should you be asked on entry, or by the airline on boarding in Italy.
No one, US citizen or foreign passport holder, is being (or has been) hassled in any way for flying from the US directly to Cuba on a commercial flight,let alone someone who flies through a third country. The "worst" that has happened is that the US CBP asks what you have brought back for souvenirs, before welcoming you back to the US. and since you are not returning through the US, you would not even encounter that.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: