FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Tourist Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1782747-tourist-card.html)

Aroeder Aug 4, 2016 12:23 pm

Tourist Card

Hey FTers. I am booked for CFG in September. I have seen the Miami Herarld article about AA calling and facilitating this process. Every time I call AA no one knows anything about this.

Does anyone have any insight about obtaining one other than contacting the Cuban embassy directly?

Will they be available at the airport in MIA or upon arrival?

Thanks!

VidaNaPraia Aug 4, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm in much the same situation, leaving September 17 and having gotten no info from anyone I talked to on the phone at AA. The last I read on some forum or another (Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum has a lot of travelers that have been going to Cuba for decades and are pretty clued in about all the changes, and are staying on top of these issues with new flights) was from someone who was told by AA that they were getting some third party agency to handle the tourist card at Miami airport. No word about the "mandatory" insurance though. And no word on when this as yet un-named agency is supposed to be up and running in AA's Miami airport area.
Please post, anyone who has heard something more.

Aroeder Aug 5, 2016 6:58 am

AA's reply

Hey guys just received the following message from AA on Facebook messenger. Social media team to the rescue again!

"A third party vendor will be contacting customers 32 days prior to their flight via email regarding obtaining their tourist card. You can purchase them earlier as long as it's specifically issued for the US and valid on the day of travel."

VidaNaPraia Aug 5, 2016 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Aroeder (Post 27019355)
Hey guys just received the following message from AA on Facebook messenger. Social media team to the rescue again!

"A third party vendor will be contacting customers 32 days prior to their flight via email regarding obtaining their tourist card. You can purchase them earlier as long as it's specifically issued for the US and valid on the day of travel."

For me, that would make it the 15th of this month, just a few days away. I'll let you all know if/when/as soon as the vendor contacts me and what exactly they say.

Aroeder Aug 15, 2016 8:35 am

Update

Just received an email from AA,

"Travel card and insurance coverage:

Most customers will need to purchase a travel card and insurance coverage, which you can obtain from Cuba Travel Services (CTS) by calling 305-204-9314 or 877-511-2822 (U.S. toll-free)."

lrdpenn Aug 15, 2016 9:17 am

I had contacted them earlier (independently, without AA referral.) They were charging $85 per person. Hopefully AA has arranged to allow those with AA to be charged a lower price or at cost, but I doubt it.

VidaNaPraia Aug 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aroeder (Post 27067036)
Just received an email from AA,
"Travel card and insurance coverage:
Most customers will need to purchase a travel card and insurance coverage, which you can obtain from Cuba Travel Services (CTS)
by calling 305-204-9314 or 877-511-2822 (U.S. toll-free)."

Just tried both numbers. "Leave a message (name and phone number) and a rep will get back to you within 1 business day."

What is the "normal" price of a tourist card? Does it change for passport nationality (US vs. other)? Does it change depending on where you buy it (Canada, Cancun,etc)?
Do we have other options than this agency that might be cheaper?
I have read elsewhere that people bought them for $25.

Anyone know this place:
https://fusion.dns-systems.net/secur...t=yes&accom=no
They are charging 20GBP (=U$25) including shipping for any nationality anywhere.
What I can't find yet is how long it would take to arrive. Have to read the rest of the site.

jphripjah Aug 15, 2016 8:09 pm

I have flown to Cuba twice - once from Mexico and once from Jamaica. Both times I got the tourist card at the check in desk. I can't imagine AA won't have something in place.

Is that site just going to send a copy of the form for you to fill out and hand in at check in?

Aroeder Aug 16, 2016 1:09 pm

I received a phone call yesterday.

Cuba Travel Services charges $85 per person. They did said they could be purchased at the airport for $100 per person.

djjaguar64 Aug 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aroeder (Post 27073958)

Cuba Travel Services charges $85 per person. They did said they could be purchased at the airport for $100 per person.

Wow what a rip off

VidaNaPraia Aug 18, 2016 11:57 am

I'm playing phone tag with Cuba Travel Services (3 days now), but they never leave the info I've asked for. just a "we called" message.
But if they don't make it a point to get back to me, I'll try to order from the UK place for U$25 while I still have time.

edit:
The UK place sells GREEN tourist cards.
US passport holders need a PINK tourist card, more expensive.

newaarondavidson Aug 22, 2016 7:47 am

$85 isnt terrible. It is $70 to do it yourself through the mail.

VidaNaPraia Aug 22, 2016 10:43 am

It was beginning to seem as if they were playing phone tag in order to get the higher price at the airport in Miami.
But...
Finally got through to them. The rep said she would send me an email with the visa form and the travel affidavit (where you choose the reason you are traveling). Return to them by mail with the "proof of ticket" and U$85. She said they process and ship the same day as this stuff is received by snail mail.
----

Originally Posted by newaarondavidson (Post 27101050)
$85 isnt terrible. It is $70 to do it yourself through the mail.

I can't find any but the most general info about tourist cards on the DC Embassy/Consulate website. No price.
They do not answer their published phone number; just goes to answering machine.

newaarondavidson Aug 22, 2016 10:52 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 27102116)
It was beginning to seem as if they were playing phone tag in order to get the higher price at the airport in Miami.
But...
Finally got through to them. The rep said she would send me an email with the visa form and the travel affidavit (where you choose the reason you are traveling). Return to them by mail with the "proof of ticket" and U$85. She said they process and ship the same day as this stuff is received by snail mail.
----

I can't find any but the most general info about tourist cards on the DC Embassy/Consulate website. No price.
They do not answer their published phone number; just goes to answering machine.

I have documents from the consulate. PM your email if you want them. They require a copy of your passport and a passport style photo.

VidaNaPraia Aug 23, 2016 9:39 am

Originally Posted by newaarondavidson (Post 27102170)
I have documents from the consulate. PM your email if you want them. They require a copy of your passport and a passport style photo.

Sent to you in PM. No response (yet).

How long is the turn around time from the Cuban Embassy/Consulate in DC?