FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Tourist Card for Cuba at MEX - anyone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1720027-tourist-card-cuba-mex-anyone.html)

'andad Oct 28, 2015 9:03 am

Tourist Card for Cuba at MEX - anyone?

Aeromexico tell me that I can buy the required Tourist Card for Cuba easily at MEX. We arrive early evening in MEX on BA, and leave for Cuba at 10.00 next morning.
Has anyone experience of getting the card at MEX, if so is it at check-in or a dedicated Card desk?
Could we get it as we arrive in MEX at say 19.30? If not, is it possible to check in to Cuba, then go get the Card?
Thank you for any advice.

our_kid Oct 28, 2015 9:49 am

Hi - not sure when you're travelling but tourist card from London Cuban Embassy (at High Holborn) is available in person from 0930 - 1230 Mon-Fri. Is it possible you can do that prior to departing LHR for MEX? You need proof of air ticket, accommodation and photocopy of your passport main page.

I am off to HAV next month but with IB ex PAR/MAD - I've sorted tourist card from Cuban Embassy.

Good luck

djkjam Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am

I travel to Cuba frequently from other points in the Caribbean. Have always bought the tourist card from the airline check in desk.

TWEED1A Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi andad,

Last year I travelled from MEX-HAV when I was living in Mexico. We flew with Interjet and went to the airport a few days before (just to be sure) and queued up for the Interjet international check in desks upstairs in T1. We explained we needed the tourist card and paid then and there in cash and were given the card immediately. All very simple. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't any more than 750 MXN for the two of us if I remember correctly (i.e. $25 USD per person approx.)

I'm sure it'd be just as easy with Aeromexico. In theory, you could probably do it the morning of your flight to Cuba when checking in.

If you could do it in the UK prior to your trip that'd be safest I guess. Otherwise, I'm sure you could get it on arrival in MEX. Don't forget a few things. The BA243 arrives at T1 around the same time as most of the other European flights, so immigration and customs will be busy. By the time you clear arrivals, it might be an hour later and then you'd have to trek over to T2 where Aeromexico is based. That all takes time. So maybe try asking Interjet first, upstairs in zone F2 (FYI BA is in the next hall to the left, F3).

Hope that helps :)

londonsmiler Oct 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Just a brief word of warning about getting it in London if you go in person- there is an additional fee of 19 GBP per person who isn't physically present when you pick up the visa on top of the fee for the tourist card. It was a shock to me when I was picking up the cards for myself and two friends!

You can also do by mail if you want to be all billy bunter and play with postal orders. However, getting it in MEX should be no problem.

'andad Oct 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jamieb0202 (Post 25628830)
Hi andad,

Last year I travelled from MEX-HAV when I was living in Mexico. We flew with Interjet and went to the airport a few days before (just to be sure) and queued up for the Interjet international check in desks upstairs in T1. We explained we needed the tourist card and paid then and there in cash and were given the card immediately. All very simple. I can't remember the cost but it wasn't any more than 750 MXN for the two of us if I remember correctly (i.e. $25 USD per person approx.)

I'm sure it'd be just as easy with Aeromexico. In theory, you could probably do it the morning of your flight to Cuba when checking in.

If you could do it in the UK prior to your trip that'd be safest I guess. Otherwise, I'm sure you could get it on arrival in MEX. Don't forget a few things. The BA243 arrives at T1 around the same time as most of the other European flights, so immigration and customs will be busy. By the time you clear arrivals, it might be an hour later and then you'd have to trek over to T2 where Aeromexico is based. That all takes time. So maybe try asking Interjet first, upstairs in zone F2 (FYI BA is in the next hall to the left, F3).

Hope that helps :)

Thank you Jamie and others, just the info I needed ( although surprised CWS didn't beat you all to it, is he unwell?).

LTN Phobia Oct 28, 2015 4:37 pm

This thread was originally posted in the BA forum.

As the thread is not about BA but about Cuba, it has been moved to the Cuba forum.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

TWEED1A Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by 'andad (Post 25629812)
Thank you Jamie and others, just the info I needed ( although surprised CWS didn't beat you all to it, is he unwell?).

Let me know if you need any further help, andad :)

djjaguar64 Oct 30, 2015 12:02 pm

On some airlines, like Air Canada, Sunwing, Westjet the price of the tourist card is included in the ticket. But I recall travelling with TACA and I had to pay for the card at the gate.

rankourabu Oct 30, 2015 12:08 pm

$20 cash at the gate in PTY from Copa when connecting from elsewhere.

tc fly girl Oct 31, 2015 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 25639107)
$20 cash at the gate in PTY from Copa when connecting from elsewhere.

This was extremely helpful information. Thank you.

RDUMusiclistings Dec 22, 2015 10:18 am

Best place to get the Tourist Card is at check-in with the airline - as of last week it is now $25 per traveler... I would strongly reccomend that you purchase the tourist card upon checkin only because there was a party in front of me that were forced to repurchase their tourist cards as the checkin agent said they were not valid - this was probably some sort of shakedown but in terms of be safe about it - buy it at check in and there is no question....