Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

COPA sale includes Havana

Old Oct 27, 15, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

Received an email that COPA Airlines is offering 20-25% off fares between certain destinations. I was playing with various combinations and came up with Chicago O'hare to Havana for $698 in January. It appears bookable as I was able to enter all of my personal information as well as credit card info with the country of residence being the United States. I feel like a dog chasing a car: I caught it, now what am I going to do with it? I didn't book as I want to review all the requirements. I can enter under the journalism general license so that is cool but worried about having an itinerary from ORD that has Havana included. Hate to get to ORD and then not be allowed to board. Itinerary is ORD-PTY-HAV and return. Any thoughts? Should I go for it?

http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/inte...4ZFILY,12R5R,1
Old Oct 27, 15, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Do you want to go to Cuba? Has someone offered you a writing assignment that will take you to Cuba? That's a U.S. requirement for the journalism general license, and if someone official on the American end asks, you need to be able to demonstrate that. Cuba will require you to get a journalism visa, and that's a bit of a chore to get. Do you have one? If you can answer yes to all those questions, then you're good to go.

That is a great fare. Can you line up a writing assignment? Yes, Americans do go to Cuba unofficially, but if you have experience that can take you there in another capacity, I'd say try to line something up. Cuba is hot right now. The visa application takes about a month if you have all the supporting documentation. You'd go through the Cuban (now) embassy in Washington for the visa.

I was there earlier this year working on an upcoming edition of a guidebook.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Oct 27, 15 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 28, 15, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
Do you want to go to Cuba? Has someone offered you a writing assignment that will take you to Cuba? That's a U.S. requirement for the journalism general license, and if someone official on the American end asks, you need to be able to demonstrate that. Cuba will require you to get a journalism visa, and that's a bit of a chore to get. Do you have one? If you can answer yes to all those questions, then you're good to go.

That is a great fare. Can you line up a writing assignment? Yes, Americans do go to Cuba unofficially, but if you have experience that can take you there in another capacity, I'd say try to line something up. Cuba is hot right now. The visa application takes about a month if you have all the supporting documentation. You'd go through the Cuban (now) embassy in Washington for the visa.

I was there earlier this year working on an upcoming edition of a guidebook.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I can come up with the writing assignment, no problem. I would be going under the new regulations:

515.563 Journalistic activities in Cuba.
(a)
General license.
The travel-related
transactions set forth in 515.560(c) and
such additional transactions as are
directly incident to journalistic
activities in Cuba are authorized,
provided that:
(1) The traveler is at least one of the
following:
(i) Regularly employed as a journalist
by a news reporting organization;
(ii) Regularly employed as supporting
broadcast or technical personnel;
(iii) A freelance journalist with a
record of previous journalistic
experience working on a freelance
journalistic project;

No filing is required, just good documentation if they ask for it. I am pulling from the experience of my other friends who have gone there. Here is the complete ruling:
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...cfr515_new.pdf
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:15 am

Yes. That's exactly how I went. My point was that if you go under the journalism general license, then you have to produce something. I wasn't sure that's what you had in mind.

And then don't forget that Cuba requires you to have a journalism visa. Don't ignore that end of things.
Old Oct 30, 15, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Yes. That's exactly how I went. My point was that if you go under the journalism general license, then you have to produce something. I wasn't sure that's what you had in mind.

And then don't forget that Cuba requires you to have a journalism visa. Don't ignore that end of things.
Thanks for the information and support. Haven't pulled the trigger yet as want to make sure I have everything lined up correctly.
Old Oct 31, 15, 1:05 am
Suspended

Cuba won't care about the journalism visa unless the OP is plainly working as a journalist i.e., openly interviewing people in the streets, contacting government officials, bringing big-time video equipment, etc. If the OP is just going to write a travel review or something like that, the regular tourist card should be fine.
Old Oct 31, 15, 6:00 am

A lot depends on the type of work you'll be doing. If it's a very general article about your trip to Cuba that you can write after you get home, then you can probably get by with no visa. Anything that crosses the line from informally talking to people on the street to something that looks more like interviewing them, then you'll want a visa. Having a visa does give you a lot more access than you would without one.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Oct 31, 15 at 6:18 am
Old Oct 31, 15, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
Cuba won't care about the journalism visa unless the OP is plainly working as a journalist i.e., openly interviewing people in the streets, contacting government officials, bringing big-time video equipment, etc. If the OP is just going to write a travel review or something like that, the regular tourist card should be fine.
This was my take on it as well. I just planned on getting approval up front to publish an article on my trip, have it in writing then go and make sure I keep detailed notes while I'm there. I've got business cards and I can print out previous articles. I'm confident I'm covered but always good to get feedback from others. Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 15, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

A lot depends on the type of work you'll be doing. If it's a very general article about your trip to Cuba that you can write after you get home, then you can probably get by with no visa. Anything that crosses the line from informally talking to people on the street to something that looks more like interviewing them, then you'll want a visa. Having a visa does give you a lot more access than you would without one.
You make a valid point: If I needed more access I should get a visa. I would just be writing a general article so not going to go that route. Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 15, 7:21 am

Then don't divulge to anybody in Cuba what you're doing. You could run into problems.
Old Nov 3, 15, 8:52 am
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm "Cuban American"... and this is a really good price to HAV from TPA.
Old Nov 3, 15, 9:05 am

I'm "Cuban American"
What do the quotation marks mean?
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
LOL, means he/she is not a real Cuban. Unless he/she says "Que Bola" when greeting others!! LOL
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:14 pm

Programs: lh sen spg plat ra plat hyatt dia
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
LOL, means he/she is not a real Cuban. Unless he/she says "Que Bola" when greeting others!! LOL
"Que Bola" is really low class.
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:42 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I'm a Puerto Rican...

...who has relatives living in Cuba.

Search this Thread