Reload this Page >

UK national : Florida to Havana

Old Oct 20, 15, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel

Hi folks

I am looking to get one-way from Miami to Havana in February 2016 (flying out with Iberia to Madrid, Spain)

I am aware of the ferry services which had been scheduled to start September 2015 - but apparently have not yet begun.

I am aware of the air charters - but have been advised I can not use as I am not a US national.

Please advise any current good cost-effective ideas for getting there..GCM ? CUN ?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 15, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dewsburyborn View Post
Hi folks

I am looking to get one-way from Miami to Havana in February 2016 (flying out with Iberia to Madrid, Spain)

I am aware of the ferry services which had been scheduled to start September 2015 - but apparently have not yet begun.

I am aware of the air charters - but have been advised I can not use as I am not a US national.

Please advise any current good cost-effective ideas for getting there..GCM ? CUN ?

Thanks
Try Florida to Havana via Toronto or Central America. From CUN you have Cubana.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Oct 20, 15 at 9:46 am
Old Oct 20, 15, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As things stand now, you won't be eligible to use the ferry service once it begins. It will be open only to U.S. citizens traveling for approved reasons. Even though you can travel to Cuba as an independent tourist, a U.S. business is not permitted to take anybody there for that purpose.

Aeromexico flies via CUN. Avianca flies via SAL. Copa flies via PTY. Bahamasair flies via NAS.

...cost-effective ideas...
I'm not sure any of them are very cost effective.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Oct 20, 15 at 10:46 am
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Thanks for your replies guys. Florida to Havana via Canada seems a bit extreme ...

I think I've come up with something workable - unless there are regulations/restrictions I don't know about.

MIA-CUN - AA - using BA avios 4,500 + GBP 16.40 taxes ( + USD 25.00 hold baggage charge)

CUN-HAV - Interjet - currently at USD 104.00

Because of the ETA of the cruise into MIA, it does mean an afternoon flight out of MIA which then necessitates an overnight in CUN. Is it worth a shuttle to the beach for the evening from an airport hotel ?
Old Oct 20, 15, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dewsburyborn View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. Florida to Havana via Canada seems a bit extreme ...

I think I've come up with something workable - unless there are regulations/restrictions I don't know about.

MIA-CUN - AA - using BA avios 4,500 + GBP 16.40 taxes ( + USD 25.00 hold baggage charge)

CUN-HAV - Interjet - currently at USD 104.00

Because of the ETA of the cruise into MIA, it does mean an afternoon flight out of MIA which then necessitates an overnight in CUN. Is it worth a shuttle to the beach for the evening from an airport hotel ?
Since you have to overnight:

The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun
8 miles from Cancun International Airport, out on Cancunís reef, is The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun. An airport shuttle is provided for guests, as are 4 outdoor pools and a private beach. Other amenities provided are a business center, fitness center, spa, and locations for activities such as surfing, golf, and tennis.
Old Oct 20, 15, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Interjet has no problem selling MIA-HAV (via MEX or CUN) as one ticket. They are having a sale right now where some days are as low as $175 o/w including 2 bags and taxes....
Old Oct 21, 15, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Try Florida to Havana via Toronto or Central America. From CUN you have Cubana.
or NAS or GCM - much shorter.....
Old Oct 22, 15, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
or NAS or GCM - much shorter.....
Yes, agreed, thats a great option as well.

Search this Thread