Travel to cuba

Old Oct 13, 15, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Travel to cuba

My wife and I are planning to travel to Cuba in Feb. 2016. ROAD SCHOLAR TRAVEL has been suggested as the best value and informational group to use----any thoughts? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Many thanks---Allieboy
Old Oct 13, 15, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So you are an American, don't know much about ROAD SCHOLAR TRAVEL but I know alot about Cuba, been going there for over 10 years.
Old Oct 13, 15, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
There's a key point you're not addressing, djjaguar. You're Canadian. I'm guessing the OP is not. It's a lot easier for you than for us.

Road Scholar has well-regarded tours to Cuba, as they do to all the places they go. Insight Cuba's tours are also good. Road and Insight both have a wide variety of tours to choose from. They range from general tours to ones focused on specific interests.

With either (or any of the the tours that are legally open to Americans), you'll have an itinerary full of cultural-type activities. That's the focus of these tours. Time away from the group is very limited. Realize that.
Old Oct 14, 15, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, I am Canadian, wish I knew more about how Americans can go over to Cuba etc etc. But a good friend of mine from NYC who is a doctor flew to Cuba without any papers via SJO. Yes he was frisked upon return to the US but they asked if he spent any money there and he said no, so they let him go.
Old Oct 14, 15, 11:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
No doubt that 10 years of travel to Cuba have given you a lot of knowledge. Unfortunately, our circumstances are quite different as Americans. That has to be mentioned. I wish it weren't so, but it is for now. The tours that the OP mentions are one way we can legally go. The style of tourism that you've luckily been able to engage in is not. Doesn't mean that Americans don't do what you've done. I think at least it needs to pointed out that it doesn't conform to U.S. law. What the individual does with that information is their own concern.

You can't travel to Cuba and not spend money. If nothing else, included in your airfare are taxes that go to the Cuban government.
Old Oct 14, 15, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
No doubt that 10 years of travel to Cuba have given you a lot of knowledge. Unfortunately, our circumstances are quite different as Americans. That has to be mentioned. I wish it weren't so, but it is for now. The tours that the OP mentions are one way we can legally go. The style of tourism that you've luckily been able to engage in is not. Doesn't mean that Americans don't do what you've done. I think at least it needs to pointed out that it doesn't conform to U.S. law. What the individual does with that information is their own concern.

You can't travel to Cuba and not spend money. If nothing else, included in your airfare are taxes that go to the Cuban government.
Well, I am happy to be living in a free country, Canada.
Old Oct 17, 15, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Just looked at Road Scholar travel... holy s.... $3795 for 8 days in Cuba? Seriously??

I feel cheap as Cuban Adventures was 1/5th the price, and visited the same places.
I cant fathom what could cost $400 more a day in Cuba.

Search this Thread