What exactly qualifies for going under a general license

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What exactly qualifies for going under a general license

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Here's the thing: Now that we no longer have to apply for an individual license, much of this is now on the honor system. You can go and claim that you fit into one of the 12 categories. If questioned, you'd better be able to back it up.
That's a big 'if' right now. From what regular travelers are posting, no one, no government entity is currently interested in questioning anyone (unless maybe you're the second coming of Al Capone, in which case you're probably better off doing a Joanne Chesimard anyway, rather than returning).

So who is YOUR babalorichá?

This commentary (today's post) might be of interest:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...#post_21735472

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jun 9, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Sure. It's an "if" situation. No one said it isn't. The very link you posted in Post 12 talks about the requirement to keep records of your transactions in case you are questioned post-trip. I did that. I have yet to have anybody ask to see them. I was upfront about what I did when I got back to the U.S. and went through passport control at DFW. I'd gone Costa Rica-Cuba-Costa Rica with Copa, but came back to the U.S. soon after my return to Costa Rica, I made sure to have all my documentation, all my notes, all my accreditation in my carry-on in case I needed to show anybody. The immigration officer asked where I'd been. He asked what I was doing in Cuba. I told him. He said that sounded interesting and waved me through. I went as a journalist. Of course, I was going to do it by the book.

The OP can possibly go through with his plan, even if it doesn't comply with U.S. law. He asked: "What exactly qualifies for going under a general license?" I told him. I'm not going to promise him anything, though. All passports are stamped in and out. There are no more "sneak in and out through the back door" trips to Cuba.

The rest is up to him.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:15 pm

Does being a sport spectator qualify or is it only if you are performing in a sport contest?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ethang801
Does being a sport spectator qualify or is it only if you are performing in a sport contest?
How is being a spectator not "tourism", i.e. still restricted? Are you supposed to keep the scores and tickets as documentation? LOL
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

My advice is to just go. They don't stamp if you ask them not to and came back in with global entry and there was no fuss at all. I became confident when I learned they hadn't prosecuted a case for several years, and if there was an issue I could tie it up until it wouldn't be an issue any longer.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The sports license would require you to compete in an event organized by an international sporting federation or to work for the team. Being a spectator wouldn't qualify.

Dallying, did you go? How was your trip?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:36 am

Not hard--just inform yourself

It isn't hard to visit Cuba from the U.S. and do it right. If you haven't done so it is worth taking a few minutes to read the U.S. Regs. If you search for "31 CFR 515" you'll get to them. They aren't hard to understand....focus on the Education section 515.565.

The U.S. Treasury Dept has put out FAQs that discuss this in more digested form. There is a link to these at HavanaInsider.com ( a really good general Havana site...doesn't sell any services, however)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.