FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Varadero Hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1668664-varadero-hotel.html)

adschnei Mar 31, 2015 10:23 pm

Varadero Hotel

I am having trouble finding a Varadero All-Inclusive hotel. It seems all the "5-star" resorts have major issues... can anyone recommend the "best", or at least one that seems to be consistent?

I am not opposed to a Casa Particular (staying in one in Havana), but we would really like to spend our time in Varadero sitting at the beach:D

adschnei Apr 7, 2015 9:10 am

I guess this isnt really the site to post Cuba related news ;)

Anyways, I ended up booking the Iberostar Varadero. It seemed to be the least bad of the 5* AI hotels on Varadero Beach.

gspurr Apr 8, 2015 10:10 am

Sorry just saw your post now. I think the "issues" you mention will be found at any 5 star in Cuba. I have heard good things of the Iberostar. Varadero is a really nice beach so you should have a great time.

tmac100 Apr 8, 2015 9:20 pm

I have Canadian friends who have been going to Veradero on a regular basis - every winter. Same old story: this place is ---. That place is ### and last year @@@. BUT, they keep coming back to Cuban resorts and casas! They just go to different resorts.

I'll bet some of these folks would go to Florida (as Snowbirds) and complain there too - and especially about the higher prices.

You should be able to find a decent place and the rest is up to you. YMMV :rolleyes:

gspurr Apr 8, 2015 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 24638220)
I have Canadian friends who have been going to Veradero on a regular basis - every winter. Same old story: this place is ---. That place is ### and last year @@@. BUT, they keep coming back to Cuban resorts and casas! They just go to different resorts.

I'll bet some of these folks would go to Florida (as Snowbirds) and complain there too - and especially about the higher prices.

I agree that what there is to complain about is certainly miniscule compared to life in the rest of the world, but when a resort claims to be 5 stars you do expect a certain level of efficiency and competence that Cuban resorts certainly lack. That said, the people and beaches are lovely and I would go back in a heartbeat.

tmac100 Apr 9, 2015 2:59 am

Originally Posted by gspurr (Post 24638329)
I agree that what there is to complain about is certainly miniscule compared to life in the rest of the world, but when a resort claims to be 5 stars you do expect a certain level of efficiency and competence that Cuban resorts certainly lack. That said, the people and beaches are lovely and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, no one administers an official star rating (except perhaps Michelin wrt restaurants). Cuban resorts are notorious for over-stating their quality. This will change with more sites like Trip Advisor. OTOH, new kid on the block - AirBnB - has no way of vetting their offerings either. I have stated my concerns about AirBnB pricing.

The rest is up to the marketplace...

djjaguar64 Apr 9, 2015 7:26 am

I have been to Varadero multiple times. The hotel chains to stay in are the Melia hotel chains. There is a brand new Melia Marina hotel also under the Melia chain. (As a side note, bring some peanut butter and ketchup packets if you like)
Ketchup is difficult to find in Cuba.

I recommend this property or else stay at this Sol Sirenas Coral or Palmeras. They have an evening buffet spread which gives you choices.
Yes the rooms are a little old but I have been there 3 times and never had a problem.

VARADERO

1 Paradisus Princesa del Mar

2 Paradisus Varadero

3 Meliá Península Varadero

4 Meliá Las Américas

5 Meliá Las Antillas

6 Meliá Varadero

7 Meliá Marina Varadero

8 Sol Palmeras

9 Sol Sirenas Coral

gspurr Apr 9, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 24639863)
I have been to Varadero multiple times. The hotel chains to stay in are the Melia hotel chains.

I agree. My last stay was at the Paradisus Varadero and highly recommend the Royal side.

adschnei Apr 9, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks all for the help. It appears that my hotel room is non-refundable (thru Sunwing/Signature Vacations). So while this info won't be of help to me, I am glad its here for others to use!! I have set my expectations low for service/food in Varadero, and hopeful the scenery makes up for all of that (my wife and I are not complainers, so I think we'll be ok heehee)

gspurr Apr 9, 2015 10:39 am

Originally Posted by adschnei (Post 24640563)
I have set my expectations low for service/food in Varadero, and hopeful the scenery makes up for all of that (my wife and I are not complainers, so I think we'll be ok heehee)

I actually found the food to be a lot better in Cuba than I was told it would be. Have a good trip.

carpetbagger Apr 10, 2015 2:47 pm

In Varadero you should have a look to Mansion Xanadu at least for drink at the roof top bar.