FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Travel Agent in/for Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1662315-travel-agent-cuba.html)

3galsontour Mar 11, 2015 5:26 am

Travel Agent in/for Cuba

I am trying to arrange a last minute trip to Cuba. It looks like I need a great travel agent to help arrange the near impossible.
Normally I do all of the booking and research for travel myself and I am trying to do the same for a trip I would like to do in one week. I wanted to stay for 9 days with my daughter and thought Havana, Trinidad and Varadero. My brief reconnaissance on flights leaves me with flying in/out of Varadero from YUL the most likely prospect if I can actually pull this off.
We do want to have some time on the beach prob at the end of the trip before coming home and would like to figure out a luxury ( I understand this may be a loose term) hotel to stay in but it appears all is booked - or is it? I am not sure if I am attempting the ridiculous to even try and get rooms in Cuba right now or it is how the system works. If I align with a travel agent based in Cuba, UK, or Canada does that open up the calendar a little or not at all? I am flexible with a whole selection of hotels (Casa Particular, small hotels, guest houses) for two parts of the trip but hope that one part has something on the high end for relaxing and some down time.
If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.

YVR Cockroach Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Very possible to book on your own but it generally costs you more for resorts. Not sure what a TA can really do for you (especially if they rely on U.S.-based GDS) if they do not just sell packages.

This page gives a good listing of the major hotel operators in Cuba. You may be able to get better prices at cubatravelnetwork than at the hotels directly. Might be a bit tight now due to it still being high season (until end of Easter).

CPs can be hard to get because they're tiny. Having difficulty getting our 1st or 2nd choices for April.

carpetbagger Mar 13, 2015 1:21 am

It sounds to me that you try to book on a us webpage and they are just blocking Cuba. Cuba is not existing on webpages based in us. Try to book on european or canadian or south american webpages. The nh Capri, one of the best hotels at the moment in HAV, is available next week for around 80 eur. Mansion Xanadu in Varadero costs next week around 80 eur, which is a steal.

YVR Cockroach Mar 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Check out sunwing.ca. They are a large Canadian company vacation company that has lots of flights to all over Cuba from all over Canada (4-5 flights per day to small airports) and seem to have decent pricjng power to sell off hotel rooms.

For example Sol Melia.com wants C$386 for 2 nights in Santiago de Cuba. Sunwing is selling the same for C$304.