Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Copa from JFK to Havana now bookable? Will I be able to get back into the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa from JFK to Havana now bookable? Will I be able to get back into the US?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by jphripjah
No has been fined or prosecuted for visiting Cuba as a regular tourist in how long? 10 years? 15?

I went to Cuba as a tourist 2.5 years ago. When I came back, I told CBP I went to Cuba as a tourist. I haven't been fined or prosecuted either.
Out of curiosity, I wonder if it changes anything, if at all, to a foreign passport holder US resident in terms of increased questioning.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by daveland
I used Global Entry on my return from HAV-MIA. You do have to hand your card to an agent that asks questions but I was 100% not given a hard time about coming from Cuba. I stated I was on a people-to-people trip. He asked if I had brought anything back and I said some cigars. He then said "welcome home."

Hope that eases your concerns!
It does, thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Has anyone who has Global Entry been to Cuba recently?

I'm very tempted to go visit, but I wonder if this would jeopardize my GE. I'd really hate to lose it.
It's highly likely you will not jeopardize your KTN / GOES status merely by traveling to Cuba. I have done so, and I was asked one or two questions about my travel to Cuba during my GE renewal interview (earned by travel to Romania, Turkey and Ukraine, according to my interviewer).

You would definitely jeopardizing it, however, by failing to state you had visited Cuba on your form 6059B if you fill one out, or do not answer truthfully if asked about Cuba travel or fail to disclose it to a Federal agent when asked. That is a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1001 (link), which though you'd not get the maximum allowed penalty of up to five years in Federal prison is still a felony and would both jeopardize your Global Entry and probably subject you to increased scrutiny upon re-entering the USA and quite possibly earning SSSS or other attention when flying from or to a US airport.

Originally Posted by daKav
Out of curiosity, I wonder if it changes anything, if at all, to a foreign passport holder US resident in terms of increased questioning.
It does not.

Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and others subject to U.S. jurisdiction.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 12, 2016 at 10:53 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:40 am

Do I understand it right that as an non US citizen the US law will not be applicable if I fly from US to Cuba via PTY or MEX? It would be on one ticket, does this make a difference?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kapi1904
Do I understand it right that as an non US citizen the US law will not be applicable if I fly from US to Cuba via PTY or MEX? It would be on one ticket, does this make a difference?
Other than *perhaps* the issue brought up above, the US government isn't checking on anyone, US or other passport, returning even directly to the US from Cuba. And I agree with JDiver that "It's highly likely you will not jeopardize your KTN / GOES status merely by traveling to Cuba"

The only difference in leaving from/entering into a US airport and one in another country is the color (and price) of the Cuban tourist card, that you need to board the Cuba flight. Also, in the US, the airline flying direct to Cuba may record the reason of the 12 you use to travel, but no one is coming looking for proof, then or afterwards.

The guy at immigration in Miami heard where I'd been and simply wished me a welcome home.

IMO Get the cheapest flight or the most convenient one.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
No one is looking for proof of anything. Just know your reason is reason #8, "I am going to support the Cuban people" and buy your visa in a no questions kiosk at MIA or FLL for $50.00

With all the direct service to the smaller Cuban cities now and Havana on
Dec 1, why would anybody fly via somewhere else ? !
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:22 pm

Thank you for your advice. I have to fly from JFK anyway and need to go to Holguin and found an overnight flight with a short stop in PTY which is convenient for me. I still have to book the return from HAV.

Is the type of tourist card is relevant for the returning flight? So I can get the tourist card in PTY and take a direct UA flight back from HAV? Or is there any reason this would be not advisable?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:51 pm

The tourist card is a Cuban government requirement. You present it at Aduana on arrival in Cuba and they keep half. You keep the other half and present it to Aduana as you leave.
The airline may check to make sure you have a tourist card before allowing you to board the flight to Cuba.
The pink tourist card is for those leaving from US airports. The green tourist card is for those whose flights leave from anywhere else.

American Airlines has flights JFK-MIA-HOG.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 5, 2016 at 6:02 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:34 pm

Thank you. So green visa is also good for the direct flight back to US? I will fly JFK-PTY-HOG at 01:10 AM, don't manage to catch the AA flights as I would have to leave before noon. As far as I know Copa sells those tourist cards at the gate in PTY?!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:44 pm

The visa/tourist card is a Cuban government requirement. It has nothing whatsoever to do with flying INTO the United States, only with getting into and out of Cuba.

I see AA flights leaving JFK in the afternoon.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Nov 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by worldspan
No one is looking for proof of anything. Just know your reason is reason #8, "I am going to support the Cuban people" and buy your visa in a no questions kiosk at MIA or FLL for $50.00

With all the direct service to the smaller Cuban cities now and Havana on
Dec 1, why would anybody fly via somewhere else ? !
One more question. Why do you think should I choose "I am going to support the Cuban people"? I was thinking to choose "people to people" travel, as we will not stay at beach resorts anyway but travel through the country and stay in casas particulares.

Last edited by Kapi1904; Nov 9, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:44 pm

One more question. Why do you think should I choose "I am going to support the Cuban people"? I was thinking to choose "people to people" travel, as we will not stay at beach resorts anyway but travel through the country and stay in casas particulares.
"travel through the country and stay in casas particulares" qualifies as neither of those 2 reasons.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
"travel through the country and stay in casas particulares" qualifies as neither of those 2 reasons.
Sure, but doesn't prevent it either depending on daytime schedule. At least I think there is more room interpretation with this category.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:52 am

Sure, but doesn't prevent it either depending on daytime schedule. At least I think there is more room interpretation with this category.
YOU think.
Unfortunately or fortunately (however you choose to look at it), until someone in OFAC decides to put an individual "tourist's" itinerary under scrutiny, we'll never know, or have to care, really.
If you are at all concerned or conscientious, I would suggest looking at one of the group tours and modeling your schedule after the type and extent (that constitutes "full time") of programs they offer. If you are not concerned, it doesn't matter how you justify your choice of the 12 categories or how you spend your time.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I am considering the following itinerary:

Ticket 1:

ORD-PTY on CM229
PTY-HAV on CM294 (next day but less than 24hrs)

This would be on a single PNR, but with PTY as a ticketed destination (i.e. multi-city). I would clear Panamanian immigration and stay overnight.

Ticket 2:

HAV-EWR on UA1503, connecting next day to SAN.

I am triple national (UK/Irish/Australian)

My questions are:

1. Is my outbound flight considered to be travelling from the USA to Cuba, or am I technically entering from Panama?

2. Am I likely to get any hassle on the direct inbound from HAV-EWR?

3. Am I actually violating any laws?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.