FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   MasterCard Removes Block on Cuba Transactions for U.S.-Issued Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1648730-mastercard-removes-block-cuba-transactions-u-s-issued-cards.html)

edweird Jan 23, 2015 11:24 am

MasterCard Removes Block on Cuba Transactions for U.S.-Issued Cards

Today, MasterCard announced it is removing the current block on U.S.-issued card transactions in Cuba as of March 1, 2015.

The rest of their press release is here.

el_che Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Now they just need more places to accept them !!

mkt Jan 24, 2015 10:03 pm

This is great! I hope Visa follows suit soon though - my best travel cards are all Visa.

adschnei Mar 29, 2015 9:01 am

Has anyone reported any success of using a US issued MC working in Cuba?

jammanxc Mar 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by adschnei (Post 24583403)
Has anyone reported any success of using a US issued MC working in Cuba?

I'm heading to Cuba this week, I'll let you know if MC is working.

adschnei Mar 30, 2015 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc (Post 24584504)
I'm heading to Cuba this week, I'll let you know if MC is working.

Awesome! I don't go until Memorial Day, but I'm hopeful to at least have the ability to use my cc should I need o (I understand few places actually accept cards)... Enjoy your trip!

SJOGuy Apr 1, 2015 7:49 pm

Visa will go live June 1.

There's more to the issue than MC and Visa lifting the restriction on use of U.S. cards. The financial institution issuing the card also has to lift the restriction, and you also need to check with them, because not all have.

adschnei Apr 2, 2015 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 24603357)
Visa will go live June 1.

There's more to the issue than MC and Visa lifting the restriction on use of U.S. cards. The financial institution issuing the card also has to lift the restriction, and you also need to check with them, because not all have.

Do you know which institutions have lifted the restrictions? Any of the prime cards (Citi, Barclay, Chase, Cap 1, USBank, etc)?

SJOGuy Apr 2, 2015 8:05 pm

No. I don't know. The advice from MasterCard (now) and Visa (for after June 1) is to check with your financial institution to see if it is set up to handle transactions in Cuba. Not all are or will be.

M60_to_LGA Apr 3, 2015 7:39 pm

Pardon me for being dense, but isn't the point of a card association to handle all the back-office stuff so that the card transaction goes through?

Why would an individual credit card issuer have to set things up on its own?

This just seems really odd.

SJOGuy Apr 3, 2015 9:01 pm

I agree. One would think that, yes. But every article, every press release about the subject, including the link in the OP, states this caveat. I'm just back from Cuba. My MC worked. I talked to other U.S. travelers and heard mixed stories.

tmac100 Apr 4, 2015 5:29 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 24614056)
I agree. One would think that, yes. But every article, every press release about the subject, including the link in the OP, states this caveat. I'm just back from Cuba. My MC worked. I talked to other U.S. travelers and heard mixed stories.

Yes, it appears that YMMV - and sometimes does. Canadian bank CCs seem to work fine in Cuba. I checked with my Credit Union and they assured me that my ATM will work - in spite of reading to the contrary.

Jimbo Apr 4, 2015 2:21 pm

For what its worth, today April 4, 2015, I called the three institutions with which I have Mastercard accounts: Citi, Barclay and Capital One.

Citi and Barclay told me that they do not yet authorize Mastercard transactions in Cuba. Capital One said that they are now authorizing such transactions.

wholelottamiles Apr 5, 2015 6:56 pm

Are you sure about Capital One? I called Barclays in February and they said it would work but in March they said no, not yet.

I might have to get a Cap One Venture card after all.

Jimbo Apr 6, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by wholelottamiles (Post 24621592)
Are you sure about Capital One? I called Barclays in February and they said it would work but in March they said no, not yet.

I might have to get a Cap One Venture card after all.

Each representative at at each of the three institutions that I spoke to were not able to answer the question immediately. All three had to put me on hold while they spoke to superiors. Both Barclays and Citi representatives indicated that while they were aware of MC's announcement that it was unblocking Cuban transactions, they did not know when they themselves were going to do so. The Capital One representative indicated, after checking, that as of March 1st they were in fact authorizing Cuban transactions.

I was most surprised that Barclays has not yet unblocked their MC transactions given that of the the three, it seems like it has a greater international presence than Citi and Capital One.