Reload this Page >

MasterCard Removes Block on Cuba Transactions for U.S.-Issued Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MasterCard Removes Block on Cuba Transactions for U.S.-Issued Cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Mastercard does NOT work in Cuba.. Just got back from a 6 day trip to Havana.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Read the previous posts. MasterCard works in Cuba. It all depends on whether or not the financial institution that issues your card has lifted the restriction. I assume yours has not.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:07 am

I am in the UK and my Mastercard is issued by MBNA. They tell me that their M/C will not work in Cuba
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
In late April, before I went to Havana, I checked with my Canadian credit union regarding the use of my ATM/debit card. I was told it would work fine in Cuba. However, when I landed in Cuba the card did not work. Mind you, I used my Bank of Montreal Mastercard to take out a cash advance so all was not lost - just some fees.

Upon returning from Cuba I telephoned the Canadian credit union about the uselessness of their ATM in Cuba and was told: sorry about that. They hopefully will stop giving out false info regarding the use of their ATM card in Cuba (it has a Mastercard and Maestro logo on the back)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Supposedly the only ATM cards that will work in Cuba are those that have the Visa logo on them. I converted my TD card to a Visa-logo'd one but can't remember if I tried to get money from an ATM.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Supposedly the only ATM cards that will work in Cuba are those that have the Visa logo on them. I converted my TD card to a Visa-logo'd one but can't remember if I tried to get money from an ATM.
It seems to depend (from personal opinion and observation) on what "your/the bank" has done. I have an overseas HSBC ATM card with a VISA logo on it. It did not work either. and neither did their issued credit card with the Mastercard logo.

Only my Canadian Bank of Montreal card allowed me to buy items and to take out a cash advance. Still a lot of experiential learning for folks travelling to Cuba.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Any traveler updates here?

I just called Bank of America (have an AS Signature CC) and they told me that it will NOT work for transactions in Cuba.

I also called Chase (as I have a Southwest CC as well) and they told me that their card does not work in Cuba either.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:12 pm

I visited Cuba March 3-9, 2016. While credit card logos were on display at various business locations, this did not mean that U.S. credit cards would work.

For example, at the Melia Las Dunas (Cayo Santa Maria), an all-inclusive resort, the front desk told me that no credit cards issued by U.S. banks were currently being accepted.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA, WN, DL, AA, KE, OZ
I'll be going to Cuba in a month. I was hoping to see information whether US cards would work or not. I checked with Chase, and they told me that the VISA card was not blocked on their end.

I also have a Canadian debit card/Mastercard. My bank told me it would be hit and miss. It's supposed to work, but not all places will accept US branded cards since it is a Mastercard.

I will give it a try and see what happens, but I'm taking cash since I'm not betting on it working at all.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I also have a Canadian debit card/Mastercard. My bank told me it would be hit and miss.
Part of the issue here is that this is Cuba, and credit/debit cards are not that common, period. Non-US Visa and MC cards have always officially worked. That doesn't mean that a given merchant is set up to accept cards.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, WN, DL, AA, KE, OZ
Just got back from Cuba last week. We tried an ATM, but it would not work for our Canadian card (Mastercard logo). Since we brought cash, it was fine, but it also didn't work for our other traveling companion who had a Mexican ATM card (Bancomer).
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Any success in getting cash out of ATM's or using cards at a business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.