Wiki Posts
Search

LAX [and other US POEs] to Havana

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

LAX [and other US POEs] to Havana

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on the best route to get to Havana from LAX? I'm not sure if you still need to link up with a group in order to travel there legally, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'd prefer to not go with a group, as I like to wander around myself - and, go on my own schedule. However, if there is a group that is loosely defined, and does not include tons of mandatory group outings - that could work!

Thank you!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Thinking most people go to mexico city or cancun and hop a flight to HAV
very easy to get around once there and some nice hotels .
once in HAV they don't stamp passports so ok to return.
i have done it and heaps of others i know
met a huge group of US citizens at the national hotel watching Buena vista social club .
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Ah very cool, so no real danger of getting locked up by doing it that way?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Which airlines should I look at? Looked quickly at Kayak, and AeroMexico, and Havana doesn't come up at all
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by jacobslide
Which airlines should I look at? Looked quickly at Kayak, and AeroMexico, and Havana doesn't come up at all
You may need to change your location to find flights. US Kayak won't list them.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you have to go today, LAX-MEX-HAV as two PNR's. Just a guess...

If you can wait a few weeks, probably LAX-IAH-HAV or LAX-MIA-HAV, depending on your preference of UA vs. AA.

Guessing DL will file for ATL-HAV if they haven't already. The two or three articles I've read in the past couple days only specifically call out UA and AA as filing to fly or already flying charters in the case of AA.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Why do so many people (including in news reports) want to go to Cuba. Is it because it is a rarity now? Cuba is repressive. If one has family ties, that's different. However, if one just wants a place that is not well traveled and has hot weather, there are many other places to go. I would prefer Namibia, Suriname, and Timor Leste over Cuba.

Before, US-Cuba relations were at a standstill because Castro seized American property when he took over and refused compensation. President Obama should have kept that demand. At the very least, he could have agreed upon discounted compensation but to lift the embargo for a few prisoners is bad negotiation, just as negotiating with Red China to get them to freeze carbon emissions at 2030 levels while the U.S. agrees to reduce them from current levels. I thought lawyers were more skilled at negotiation.? The President is a lawyer. I want my lawyer to negotiate better!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Box5
Why do so many people (including in news reports) want to go to Cuba. Is it because it is a rarity now? Cuba is repressive. If one has family ties, that's different. However, if one just wants a place that is not well traveled and has hot weather, there are many other places to go. I would prefer Namibia, Suriname, and Timor Leste over Cuba.

Before, US-Cuba relations were at a standstill because Castro seized American property when he took over and refused compensation. President Obama should have kept that demand. At the very least, he could have agreed upon discounted compensation but to lift the embargo for a few prisoners is bad negotiation, just as negotiating with Red China to get them to freeze carbon emissions at 2030 levels while the U.S. agrees to reduce them from current levels. I thought lawyers were more skilled at negotiation.? The President is a lawyer. I want my lawyer to negotiate better!
As nice as Namibia and East Timor are as vacation destinations, both are about 8000 miles further away from the USA than Cuba.

Cuba seems to have a vibrant culture, decent food, great music and I'm sure it's interesting to see a country that has cars from the 1950s rolling around on the streets.

Cuba was never going to pay for land that was in their own country and China isn't close to being "Red" anymore. We don't live in the 1950's anymore and the boycott was stupid. I'm glad they lifted it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Cuba was never going to pay for land that was in their own country and China isn't close to being "Red" anymore. We don't live in the 1950's anymore and the boycott was stupid. I'm glad they lifted it.
When governments in the U.S. (usually local or state) seize land, they pay the owners for it. In Cuba, they stole it. Some of the land were owned by Americans. Some were companies, but some were ordinary Americans that owned a house.

Red China is still red. Only the Communist Party is allowed. Any other party is banned. The flag is red, too.

If the boycott was stupid, why are Cubans in Cuba happy that it is lifted? Because it wasn't stupid. In 10 years, you will see made in Cuba clothing and other things that Cuba is selling to the U.S. They have cheap labor so they will win over the U.S.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Your best bet is to go to MEX or CUN and catch an Aeromexico or Cubana flight there.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
There have always been daily flights from Nassau and Grand Cayman.

Cheaper than Mexico and Canada.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Box5
Quote:

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

When governments in the U.S. (usually local or state) seize land, they pay the owners for it. In Cuba, they stole it. Some of the land were owned by Americans. Some were companies, but some were ordinary Americans that owned a house.

Red China is still red. Only the Communist Party is allowed. Any other party is banned. The flag is red, too.

If the boycott was stupid, why are Cubans in Cuba happy that it is lifted? Because it wasn't stupid. In 10 years, you will see made in Cuba clothing and other things that Cuba is selling to the U.S. They have cheap labor so they will win over the U.S.
I admire your passion. Have you considered visiting HAV, perhaps if only to join the resistance movement?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There have always been daily flights from Nassau and Grand Cayman.

Cheaper than Mexico and Canada.
True and unlike the flights CUN or MEX if you are flying on a Cuban plane your adventure begins before you get to Cuba.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
As a non American who was in Cuba - It is a very very nice place, with (overly at times) friendly people, history, culture and views.

Even the US took over "private property" (for example in the recent crisis or the native Americans land), and the fact that the US pushed Cuba to become red (Castro just had issues with the very corrupt Batista), so I really don't understand the resentment towards Cuba you show.

Everybody are crooks. ok, maybe not Canada in the last 100 years), but still...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.